Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Internal Medicine/Primary Care Physician in Albany, New York
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
2 vacancies in the following location:
- Albany, NY
Work Schedule is Full Time - Excepted Service Permanent
Opened Monday 6/27/2016 (241 day(s) ago)
** Closes Monday 6/26/2017 (123 day(s) away)
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 1738595
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans.
This vacancy is to fill two Internal Medicine (Physician) positions at the Albany Stratton VA Medical Center. This vacancy will be used to fill two full-time, permanent appointments for day shift, 8:00am-4:30pm Monday through Friday. Functional Statement for the position is Albany Stratton VAMC Internal Medicine Physician # F9086.
The Department of Veterans Affairs is an employer of choice as a center of excellence in patient care, education and research. We value trust, respect, commitment, compassion, and excellence; we value you. VA professionals feel good about their careers and their ability to balance work and home life. VA offers generous paid time off and a variety of predictable and flexible scheduling opportunities. For more information on the Department of Veterans Affairs, go to http://www.va.gov.
NOTE: Applicant's education and length of practice (experience) will be considered by a Professional Standards Board and Compensation Panel in determining the salary of the applicant selected. The recommended salary may be at any point in the range listed for this vacancy.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Position may be filled prior to the closing date. Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible for this vacancy. Applications will be reviewed every two weeks. If filled prior to the closing date, recruitment will be terminated.
This position is located in Primary Care, Albany Stratton VA Medical Center, Albany, NY. All physicians must possess an active license in a state or territory in the United States, and must maintain privileges at all times at the Albany VA Medical Center to be able to work as a physician. Physicians must be board certified or board eligible in Internal Medicine and maintain professional competency as indicated in their delineation of privileges. All primary care physicians must maintain current BLS certification.
The primary care physician duties will include, but are not limited to:
- The primary care provider is an integral member of the PACT teamlet and is expected to work closely and coordinate patient care with other PACT teamlet members, including nursing and clerical staff. Primary care physicians will participate in daily huddles with other teamlet staff and participate in primary care systems redesign projects.
- A primary care provider in the outpatient setting is assigned a panel of patients to manage under PCMM guidelines; recommended panel size at the division level is calculated based on patient complexity, support staff and room availability. each provider's panel size is specific to their practiced and setting.
- Alternative or collateral duties may include management of a subsection of primary care patients, the subsection may be defined either by a disease status (e.g. spinal cord injury patients), or demographic status (women veterans, OIF/OEF veterans, employees, etc.). Typically these duties are designated at the time of joining but may be assigned in the course of employment in response to new initiatives.
- Primary care physicians will have responsibility for supervision of or collaboration with primary care mid-level providers. Physicians are expected to provide clinical oversight and to participate in peer review of other primary care providers through periodic chart reviews.
- Primary care physicians will be responsible for supervision, education, and evaluation of residents and medical students in the outpatient primary care setting, as assigned.
- Primary care physicians will act as surrogates for absent primary care providers when needed, to include review of CPRS view alerts.
- Primary care physicians will regular attend primary care staff meetings, departmental meetings and medical staff meetings.
- Typical work hours are Monday through Friday 8am-4:30pm, and a full time provider is required to work a minimum of 80 hours per pay period. May include evenings and/or weekend hours in order to provide extended clinic coverage.
- Timely documentation (notes and encounter forms) is necessary in all areas in accordance with facility policy. All administrative work should be completed in a timely fashion.
- Clinical reminders should be addressed as medically appropriate. Quality of care should meet professional standards at all times.
- All physicians will work within their privileges at all times, unless necessitated by an emergency.
- Not Required
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Designated and/or Random Drug Testing required.
- Background and/or Security Investigation required.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen
- Board Certification or Eligibility in listed specialty is preferred
- Must meet basic requirements listed in this vacancy announcement
- U.S. Citizenship. Citizen of the United States. (Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy).
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Board eligible or board certified in Internal Medicine
- Possess and maintain current BLS certifications
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. In describing your experience, please be clear and specific.
Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Note*:* Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements: The physician should be physically and mentally capable to perform the duties of the position including examinations, formulate the diagnosis and treatment plan and educate residents. Physical activities include sitting, standing (up to 4 hours) walking (up to 2 hours), heavy lifting (45 pounds or over), reaching above the shoulder, and repeated bending. The incumbent should be emotionally and mentally stable; and capable to perform the duties of the position.
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
After we receive your complete application package (including all required documents), your qualifications will be reviewed and assigned an initial rating.
We will also review your application to make sure that your résumé supports the answers given in the questionnaire. If your résumé does not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. Based on your ranking or numerical score, you may be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. You will be notified when your rating is determined.**
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides is an overview of the benefits currently offered: http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-choose-va/benefits/index.asp.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.**
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
As a new employee serving on an excepted service appointment in the Federal civil service, you will be required to complete a two year probationary period. This period provides your supervisor with an opportunity to assess your conduct and job performance. Please note that an employee serving on a probationary period may be terminated at any time during this period, with limited appeal rights, for unacceptable job performance or unacceptable conduct.
Salary Range: $101,967.00 to $225,000.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: VM-0602-00/00
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 443018400
Job Announcement Number: 528D-16BK-168