Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Staff Physician (Allergist/Immunologist) (Part-Time) in Albuquerque, New Mexico
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Albuquerque, NM
Work Schedule is Part Time 10 hours - Excepted Service Permanent
Opened Monday 9/19/2016 (30 day(s) ago)
** Closes Wednesday 10/19/2016 (0 day(s) away)
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 1803344
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
The New Mexico Veterans Affairs Health Care System (NMVAHCS) strives to provide the highest quality primary, secondary and tertiary health care to its beneficiaries through a compassionate, innovative health care system, excellent training and education of health care professionals, and effective use of available resources. As a VA professional, your opportunities are endless. With many openings in the multiple functions of VA, you will have a wide range of opportunities and leadership positions at your fingertips. Not only is it the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the Nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries.
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Relocation/Recruitment incentives are not authorized for this position.
The salary shown is based on full-time employment. As a part-time employee, the pay will be pro-rated based on the number of hours worked.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
* MACINTOSH (APPLE) COMPUTER USERS IT IS RECOMMENDED THAT YOU CONTACT THE AGENCY ENSURE YOUR DATA HAS BEEN SAVED IN YOUR APPLICATION PACKAGE.*
The Section of Pulmonary, Sleep and Critical Care in the Internal Medicine Service at Raymond G. Murphy VA Medical Center in Albuquerque, NM is seeking a part time (10 hours per bi-weekly pay period) clinical Allergy-Immunology specialist. Responsibilities will include outpatient and inpatient consultative care encompassing a broad range of allergic and immunologic conditions including mast cell disorders, drug allergies, eosinophilic disorders of the GI tract, primary immunodeficiency diseases as well as allergic dermatologic conditions, chronic urticaria, chronic sinusitis, allergic rhinitis and reactive airway disease. Candidate should be proficient in diagnostic rhino-laryngoscopies for assessing sinus disease, GERD and vocal chord dysfunction, punch biopsies of the skin for diagnosis of non-malignant and non-pigmentary lesions of the skin and mast cell diseases of the skin, venom and drug skin testing for hymenoptra allergy and immediate drug hypersensitivity, aero-allergen skin testing for diagnosis and discrimination of allergic vs vasomotor rhinitis, food allergy testing, etc.
Board certification/eligibility in Allergy-Immunology is required.
Work or training experience in a center that addresses conditions mentioned above is preferred.
In addition to its affiliation with the University of New Mexico, NMVAHCS enjoys affiliations with Central New Mexico Community College, Santa Fe Community College and New Mexico State University. The position offered is for a physician within an academic setting dedicated to education, innovation, quality and academic research opportunities. Position would include an appointment as University of New Mexico Faculty and provide for experiences educating fellows, residents and medical students.
Tour of Duty: Part-Time, 10 hours per bi-weekly pay period
Functional Statement Title/#: Staff Physician
Fair Labor Standards Act: Exempt Bargaining Unit Status Code: 1276
- Not Required
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Designated and/or Random Drug Testing required.
- Background and/or Security Investigation required.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- Citizenship of the United States. Noncitizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with Department of Veterans Affairs policy.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in allopathic medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from an institution whose accreditation was in place for the year in which the course of study was completed. Approved schools are: (1) Schools of medicine accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) for the year in which the degree was granted, or (2) Schools of osteopathic medicine approved by the Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation (COCA) of the American Osteopathic Association for the year in which the degree was granted. (3) For foreign medical graduates not covered in (1) or (2) above, facility officials must verify with the Educational Commission for Foreign Graduates (ECFMG) that the applicant has met requirements for certification, and must obtain a copy of the ECFMG certificate, if claimed by the applicant.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Completion of residency training or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification. (NOTE: VA Physicians involved in academic training programs may be required to be board certified for faculty status.) Approved residencies are: (1) Those approved by the accrediting bodies for graduate medical education, the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) or American Osteopathic Association (AOA), in the list published for the year the residency was completed, or (2) Other residencies or their equivalents which the local Professional Standards Board determines to have provided an applicant with appropriate professional training.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Physical requirements outlined below.
Board Certification/Eligibility is required, as the New Mexico VAHCS is affiliated with the University of New Mexico and is an academic facility.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Note*:* Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements: Heavy lifting (45 lbs and over); Heavy carrying (45 lbs and over): Straight pulling and pushing; reaching above shoulder; use of fingers; both hands required; walking and standing up to 8 hours; repeated bending; Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; hearing aid permitted.
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During our review, if your résumé and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided); otherwise, applicants will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on "Application Status." For a more detailed update of your status, click on "more information." Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. The VHA physician brochure provides an overview of the benefits associated with a VA practice.
Annual leave shall accrue for part-time physicians at the rate of 1 hour earned for every 10 hours in a pay status.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply.
The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
"In Accordance with VA Handbook 5383 (VA Drug-Free Workplace Program) Applicants tentatively selected for VA employment in a testing designated position are subject to urinalysis to screen for illegal drug use prior to appointment. Applicants who refuse to be tested will be denied employment with VA."
Salary Range: $100,957.00 to $215,000.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: AD-0602-00/00
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 450703200
Job Announcement Number: ABQ-16-707-JLS-1803344-BU