Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Registered Nurse (MSU) in Anchorage, Alaska
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Anchorage, AK
Work Schedule is Full Time - Excepted Service Permanent
Opened Wednesday 1/20/2016 (278 day(s) ago)
** Closes Saturday 12/31/2016 (68 day(s) away)
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 1605795
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
The VA is much more than just another employer. It is an honorable, open and welcoming community of those who care. Gratitude is our motivation and service is our mission. The VA has adopted Core Values and Characteristics that apply universally across the Department. The five Core Values define "who we are", our culture, and how we care for our Veterans, their families and other beneficiaries. The Values of Integrity, Commitment, Advocacy, Respect and Excellence ("I CARE").
Cost of Living Allowance (COLA is tax-free) is currently 5.31% and is subject to change in the future.
This position is Open Until Filled. Applications will be referred as they are received. The position may be filled before the closing date.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
The Alaska Veterans Healthcare System (AVAHS)/Department of Defense (DoD) Joint Venture hospital serves the health needs of Alaska DoD and Veterans Affairs (VA) beneficiaries through TRICARE, VA/DoD Joint Venture, VA Outpatient Clinic and the Alaska Federal Health Care Partnership. This position is accountable to the Intensive Care Unit Manager, AVAHS. Registered Nurse is assigned to the Multi-service Unit (MSU) or the Ambulatory Procedure Unit (APU), located at the DoD/VA Joint Venture Medical Treatment Facility. The MSU is a 24-bed inpatient and APU is a 28-bed outpatient unit. Duties of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Care for pre-op and post-op same day surgery and recovery of post-procedure patients.
- Observe and interpret patterns of patient behavior and/or problems in operational systems or processes.
- Discriminate complex patient/family symptoms and needs and/or systems issues during assessment.
- Identify intricate patient/systems problems; accurately focuses on these problem areas.
- Provide age-specific care for pediatric patients, young adult, older adult patient/groups form 0 to 99 years.
- Promote independence, encourage self-care, involve family or designated caregiver with care; provide any necessary safety measures; and assist patients to cope with and/or compensate for changes affecting mobility, balance, loss, cognition, eyesight, hearing, bones, skin and thermoregulator.
- Assess age-specific care requirements and develop an appropriate plan of care.
- Perform complex physical, psychosocial and spiritual assessment of patients.
- Anticipate emergencies, coordinate prevention and evaluate response through critical analysis of patient situations.
- Assume responsibility for maintaining a productive working environment by supervising delegated care based on scope of practice, abilities and limitations of LPNs/Medical Technicians/Health Technicians and non-nursing personnel with consideration to patient needs and acuity.
Work Schedule:Full-time, rotating shifts to include the night shift, (seven shifts per pay period: one week three 12 hour shifts; second week three 12 and one eight hour shift). Shifts may include weekends and Holidays.
Functional Statement Title/#: Registered Nurse/000000.
- Not Required
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Designated and/or Random Drug Testing required.
- Background and/or Security Investigation required.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- U.S. citizenship.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6).
Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia. *Grade Determinations: *The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; ORa Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; ORa Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
Preferred Experience: Certification in ALL three of the following: BLS/CPR, ACLS and PALS. Registered Nurse experience working in an inpatient ward unit.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements:Heavy Lifting (45 lbs and over); Moderate Carrying (15-44 lbs); Straight pulling (up to 1 hour); Reaching above shoulder; Use of fingers; Both hands required; Walking (up to 4 hours); Standing (up to 2 hours); Kneeling (up to 1 hour); Repeated bending (up to 3 hours); Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; Near vision correctable at 13" to 16"; Far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other; Depth perception; Ability to distinguish basic colors and shades of colors; Hearing (aid permitted); Emotional and Mental stability.
What To Expect Next
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During our review, if your résumé and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided); otherwise, applicants will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on Application Status. For a more detailed update of your status, click on more information. Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides an overview of the benefits currently offered: http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-choose-va/benefits/index.asp.
Annual leave shall accrue for full-time Nurses, and Nurse Anesthetists at the rate of 8 hours for each full biweekly pay period.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
Salary Range: $65,396.00 to $102,376.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: VN-0610-00/00
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 427161800
Job Announcement Number: VT-16-MMC-1605795-BU-OCA