Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Supervisory Physician in Anchorage, Alaska
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Anchorage, AK
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Wednesday 9/28/2016 (25 day(s) ago)
** Closes Tuesday 2/28/2017 (128 day(s) away)
Vacancy Identification Number: 1813688
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln'spromise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans.
The VA is much more than just another employer. It is an honorable, open and welcoming community of those who care. Gratitude is our motivation and service is our mission. The VA has adopted Core Values and Characteristics that apply universally across the Department. The five Core Values define "who we are," our culture, and how we care for Veterans, their families and other beneficiaries. The Values are Integrity, Commitment, Advocacy, Respect and Excellence("I CARE").
America's Veterans need you!
To find out more, go to find out more, go to http://www.va.gov/icare
Cost of Living Allowance (COLA) is currently 5.31% and is subject to change in the future.
NOTE: A Recruitment/Relocation Incentive may be approved for a well-qualified candidate.
Relocation Expenses:Relocation expenses are authorized for this position. The Department of Veterans Affairs offers Permanent Change of Station (PCS) relocation services. Permanent Change of Station is the relocation of a household due to government convenience in connection with a transfer between duty stations or facilities. For more information go to http://www.fsc.va.gov/FSC/PCS.asp.
This position is open until filled. Qualified applicants will be referred as they are received. A selection may be made before the closing date.
The supervisory Physician in the Primary Care Service provides clinical oversight and direct supervision of physicians, nurse practitioners, and physician assistants, including locums, intermittent, fee basis, and contract staff assigned to Primary Care for the Alaska VA Healthcare System and clinical oversight for the primary care providers at the Community Based Outpatient Clinics and reports administratively to the Associate Chief Nurse of Primary Care and clinically to the Chief of Staff for clinical practice and other professional responsibilities. Duties of this position include but are not limited to the following:
- Perform direct patient care for approximately 50% of their time and perform administrative duties for the remaining 50 %.
- Responsible for providing input to the planning, organizing, and directing clinical activities within all of the Alaska VA Healthcare System Primary Care clinics to ensure the highest quality of medical care.
- Foster the growth and development of clinical initiatives; develop strategies and opportunities to improve services and increase patient access.
- Review clinical privileges for Primary Care staff and pay for performance assessments.
- Responsible for recommending actions necessary to assure compliance with Medical Staff By-Laws, and relevant facility policies and regulations.
- Practice, promote, and implement current safety policies and procedures..ssess safety needs of patients and implement appropriate measures to improve environmental and operational safety.
- Identifies Process Improvement/System Redesign (PI/SR) issues and participates in monitoring, evaluation, and utilization of clinical practice to improve quality of care.
- Provide clinical oversight for all Alaska VA Primary Care Providers.
- Oversee the peer review process and may be assigned to perform internal quality of care reviews and outside peer reviews from other stations.
- Provides input for review and assist with Congressional's and other stakeholder complaints.
- Assist other provider staff on procedural clinic questions.
- Perform Focused Professional Practice Evaluation and Ongoing Professional Practice Evaluations for new and established providers.
- Is the focal point for clinical reviews and clinical operations to include clinical performance measures utilizing SAIL and SPARQ data .
Work Schedule: No more than 5 days per week, not to exceed 40 hours per week. No more than 8 hours per day between the hours of 6am to 6 pm, weekends included.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Moderate lifting (15-44 lbs); Moderate carrying (15-44 lbs); Straight pulling (1 hour); Pulling hand over hand (1 hour); Use of fingers; Both hands required; Walking (4 hours); Standing (4 hours); Repeated bending (4 hours); Both legs required; Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; Near vision correctable at 13" to 16" to Jaeger 1 to 4; Far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other; Both eyes required; Depth perception; Ability to distinguish basic colors; Ability to distinguish shades of color; Hearing (aid permitted); Emotional/mental stability.
- Not Required
- U.S. Citizenship
- Designated and/or Random Drug Testing required.
- Background and/or Security Investigation required.
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Full unrestricted Licensure, Certification, or Registration required
- Complete application package - see required documents below.
In order to qualify for this position you must meet the following:
Basic Requirements*: *
- U.S. Citizenship.
- Deree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
Reference:VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard.* *This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE.
PLEASE NOTE: Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html. All education claimed by applicants will be verified by the appointing agency accordingly. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you will be asked to produce a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency.
Veterans' Preference:When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section provided and provide a legible copy of your DD-214(s), SF-15 (as applicable) and/or documentation related to your active duty service which shows dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation. For more information, please review the information for disabled Veterans in the application checklist or visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
If you are a male applicantwho was born after 12/31/59 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency. For more information, see http://www.sss.gov/
What To Expect Next
After we receive your application material, your experience will be reviewed to determine if you meet the basic qualifications of the position. Your will be notified via email when this decision has been made.**
Working for the Department of Veterans Affairs offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes, in part, paid vacation, sick leave, holidays, life insurance, health benefits, thrift savings plan, and participation in the Federal Employees Retirement System. This link provides an overview of the benefits currently offered. For more information please visit us at http://www.va.gov/JOBS/JobBenefits/benefits.asp. **
NOTE: *Applicant's education and length of practice (experience) will be considered by a Compensation Panel in determining the salary of the applicant selected.*
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Salary Range: $110,000.00 to $230,000.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: VM-0602-00/00
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 451950300
Job Announcement Number: VT-16-TYS-1813688-OCA