Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Nurse Practitioner (Psychiatry) in Athens, Tennessee
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Athens, TN
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Monday 10/3/2016 (24 day(s) ago)
** Closes Thursday 11/17/2016 (21 day(s) away)
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
As a VA professional, your opportunities are endless. With many openings in the multiple functions of VA, you will have a wide range of opportunities and leadership positions at your fingertips. Not only is it the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the Nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries. VA professionals feel good about their careers and their ability to balance work and home life. VA offers generous paid time off and a variety of predictable and flexible scheduling opportunities. For more information on the Department of Veterans Affairs, go to: http://www.vacareers.va.gov/ .
Murfreesboro offers affordable living with picturesque seasons and an abundance of recreational and entertainment activities. Murfreesboro is only minutes away from Nashville, better known as "Music City USA". Nashville is the capital of Tennessee and home of the Tennessee Titans NFL team and the Nashville Predators NHL team. Tennessee does not have a state income tax.**
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN):1816586
NOTE:Applicant's education and experience will be reviewed by a Professional Standards Board (a peer-review group) in determining the grade and salary of the applicant selected. The recommended salary may be at any point in the range listed for this vacancy.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The Health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not coverd by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
RELOCATION EXPENSES: Relocation expenses are not authorized for this position.
RECRUITMENT/RELOCATION INCENTIVE: A recruitment/relocation incentive has been authorized for this position, and may be offered to a highly qualified applicant.
Nurse Practitioner Primary Care Mental Integration Outpatient
*VA Tennessee Valley Health Care System(TVHS), (positions will be located at the Alvin C. York Campus, Murfreesboro at the Nashville Campus, Nashville, TN) *is seeking a full-time Psychiatric/Mental Health Nurse Practitioner to be assigned to the Mental Health Care Line (MHCL), Mental Health Outpatient Services. The incumbent is responsible for the administration and evaluation of health care for patients with mental health problems. The incumbent utilizes Telemental Health Services.
The Nurse Practitioner provides intensive clinical case management services to Veterans who have chronic, severe, and persistent psychiatric illnesses. The incumbent uses sound judgment in assessing patients and evaluating their care needs, forms a plan of care including prescribing and administering appropriate medications, providing individual and family counseling, providing referrals to other disciplines as needed, and acting as a liaison for patients with their other health care providers, guardians, and, their families.
Certification in Psychiatric Mental Health is required
Preferred 2-5 years of psychiatric nursing experience
PHYSICAL EFFORT: The position requires performance of work which involves light physical effort lifting and carrying items weighing up to 20 pounds.
WORKING CONDITIONS: Usually works indoors in areas which normally have adequate heat, light, and ventilations. May be exposed to vibration from heavy equipment and to skin irritations from strong cleaning solutions used in stripping floors, etc., as well as subject to cuts and bruises. Continually exposed to dust, dirt, and disagreeable odors, and is frequently exposed to organic material which may be contaminated and/or infectious and require special handling.
WORK SCHEDULE: Based on the needs of the service.
- Not Required
- U.S. Citizenship
- Full unrestricted Licensure, Certification, or Registration required
- Must pass pre-employment examination
- Designated and/or Random Drug Testing required
- Background and/or Security Investigation required
- English Language Proficiency required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements by the closing date of this announcement.
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency andaccredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. o The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6)
Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
Proficient in spoken and written English as required by 38 U.S.C.402(d) and 7407(d).
- Licensed or otherwise recognized as a nurse practitioner in a State, possess a master's degree from a program accredited by the NLNAC or CCNE, and maintain full and current certification as a nurse practitioner from the American Nurses Association or another nationally recognized certifying body. (Certification must be in the specialty to which the individual is being appointed or selected - Psychiatry.)
Grade Determinations:The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; ORan ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; ORa Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; ORan ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; ORa BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; ORa Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; ORADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; ORa Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; ORa Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; ORa Doctoral degree in nursing or related field and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience.
PREFERRED EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: Psychiatric nursing experience in a hospital type setting.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs(e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
APPLICANTS PLEASE NOTE: Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications (particularly positions with a positive education requirement.) Therefore, applicants must report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S.Department of Education. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/ All education claimed by applicants will be verified by the appointing agency accordingly. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript
order to receive credit for that education.
Veterans' Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference on the Occupational Questionnaire in the section provided and provide a legible copy of your DD214(s ) and/or documentation related to your active duty service which shows dates of service, character of service (honorable, general, etc.), or dates of impending separation.
Additionally, disabled veterans and others eligible for 10-point preference (such as widows or mothers of eligible Veterans) must also submit an SF-15 "Application for 10 Point Veterans Preference" with required proof as stated on the form. For more information, please review the information for disabled Veterans in the application checklist or visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/vetpref/index.aspx.
What To Expect Next
After we receive your complete application package (including any required documents), your qualifications will be reviewed to decide if you meet the basic requirements. If your resume/application does not support your questionnaire answers, we will not allow credit for your response(s).You will be notified when this decision is made. After the review is complete, a certificate is issued and all applicants will be notified of their status by email. Referred applicants will be notified and may be contacted directly by the Selecting Official for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on "more information." Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJOBS Resource Center.
Working for the Department of Veterans Affairs offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes, in part, paid vacation, sick leave, holidays, life insurance, health benefits, thrift savings plan, and participation in the Federal Employees Retirement System. In addition to traditional "dollars and cents" benefits, we offer a range of benefits to help balance work and life. For more information please visit us at http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-choose-va/benefits/index.asp .
The posting of this announcement does not obligate management to fill a vacancy or vacancies by promotion. The position may be filled by reassignment, change to lower grade, transfer, appointment, or reinstatement. Management may use any one or any combination of these methods to fill the position.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
Salary Range: $67,887.00 to $113,166.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: VN-0610-00/00
Promotion Potential: 00
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens and/or Current permanent Federal Employees
Control Number: 452304700
Job Announcement Number: JK-17-AMB-1816586-BU