Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration RN/Chief Nurse, Operations in Augusta, Georgia
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Augusta, GA
Work Schedule is Full Time - Excepted Service Permanent
Opened Tuesday 4/19/2016 (186 day(s) ago)
** Closes Wednesday 11/30/2016 (39 day(s) away)
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN) 1684057
This is an open continuous announcement; applicants will be reviewed and referred on a bi-weekly basis; the announcement will remain open until this position is filled. The first cut-off for consideration will be May 6, 2016.
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans.
Augusta Georgia is the home of the world renowned 'Masters' golf tournament and is Georgia's second oldest and second largest city. Please visit the official Augusta website to learn more about this ever changing and exciting city: http://www.augustaga.org/
The Augusta Charlie Norwood VA Medical Center is a two-division Medical Center that provides tertiary care in medicine, surgery, neurology, psychiatry, rehabilitation medicine, and spinal cord injury. The Medical Center is affiliated with the Georgia Regents University, Augusta, GA and as such integrates teaching, research, and advanced patient care, making it an attractive academic medical center. This facility offers a full spectrum of comprehensive health care services, using state-of-the-art technology and innovative programs, as well as education and research benefits.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.* *
Relocation/Recruitment Incentive is negotiable for a highly qualified candidate.
Current permanent employees of the Charlie Norwood VAMC will receive first consideration when filling vacancies.
Work Schedule:**Monday thru Friday, 7:30a-4:00p, with 24 hr responsibility and accountability for the departments managed.
Functional Statement Title/#:F00424
Location of position: Uptown/Downtown Division, Nursing Services
The Chief Nurse for Operations provides primary assistance to the Associate Director, Patient Care Services/Nurse Executive in overall administration of Patient Care Services/Nursing Services and in guiding the overall management of the practice of nursing and the profession of nursing within the Charlie Norwood VA Medical Center (CNVAMC). The Chief Nurse, Operations is a key member of the executive leadership team, involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, organizational assessment, and program development.
The Chief Nurse provides a key collaborative leadership role in statewide management and supervision of patient care programs. Functions include: planning, organizing, directing, controlling, and evaluating programs and outcomes; regular attention to complex personnel management problems; participation in executive level decision making deliberations; directs the integration of nursing and patient care activities in the mutual development and achievement of organizational goals and policy development; and provides guidance and direction oversight for the development and implementation and maintenance of established standards or nursing practice.
The Chief Nurse participates in clinical and environmental rounds to evaluate organizational care delivery identifying opportunities for program improvement, effectiveness, and to assess the therapeutic milieu and safety in clinical areas.
The Chief Nurse guides the integration of nursing and other care activities towards an interdisciplinary team approach to achieve organizational goals for quality patient care services across the continuum of care, i.e., inpatient, specialty care, and outpatient.
The Chief Nurse implements standards of professional nursing practice and participates in policy development related to professional nursing practice on community, regional, and national levels.
The Chief Nurse maintains and promotes effective labor management relations participating in negotiation agreements as appropriate.
The Chief Nurse acts on behalf of the Associate Director, Patient Care Services/Nurse Executive in her/his absence. Specific practice settings or communities of care, for direct administrative assignment include Care in the Community Programs (CHOICE and Non-VA Care Coordination), Utilization/Case Management, Patient Flow, service operations, and Performance Improvement as assigned.
- Not Required
- Relocation Expenses are authorized. "The Department of Veterans Affairs may offer Permanent Change of Station (PCS) relocation services. Permanent Change of Station is the relocation of a household due to government convenience in connection with a transfer between duty stations or facilities. For more information go to http://www.fsc.va.gov/PCS.asp.
- Background and/or Security Investigation required.
- Designated and/or Random Drug Testing required.
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- Licensure, Certification, and/or Registration required.
- Copy of College Transcripts required
Candidates must meet all the requirements identified in the VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G6, Nurse Qualification Standards http://vaww1.va.gov/ohrm/HRLibrary/Dir-Policy.htm
(1) U.S. citizenship: Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
(2) Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6)
(3) Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
(4) Applicants must meet physical standards for the position. A physical examination prior to placement may be required.
(5) RN's appointed to direct patient care positions must be proficient in spoken and written English.
Nurse IV - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 4-5 years experience or Doctoral degree in nursing or related field and approximately 3-4 years experience and appropriate basic or advanced certification desired. If MSN is obtained in a Bridge Program, no BSN required. Applicant's successful nursing practice and length of nursing practice (experience) will be considered by a Nurse Professional Standards Board in determining the grade and salary of the applicant selected.
Preferred Education/Experience: Masters Degree in Nursing with management experience and experience in Non-VA care
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Note*:* Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements:Heavy Lifting (45 lbs and over); Heavy Carrying (45 lbs and over); Straight Pulling (6 hours); Pushing (6-10 hours); Reaching above shoulder; Use of fingers; Both hands required; Walking (6-10 hours); Standing (6-10 hours); Kneeling (1 hour); Repeated bending (4 hours); Both legs required; Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; Near vision correctable at 13 to 16; Far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other; Ability to distinguish shades of colors; Hearing (aid permitted)
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on Application Status. For a more detailed update of your status, click on more information. Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides is an overview of the benefits currently offered: http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-choose-va/benefits/index.asp.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment. This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status. This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
Salary Range: $103,336.00 to $137,436.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: VN-0610-04/04
Supervisory Status: Yes
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 436432900
Job Announcement Number: OD-16-RW-1684057-257