Travis County Texas Building Maintenance Worker in Austin, Texas
Performs a variety of moderately complex preventive maintenance tasks, repairs, and additions to County buildings, facilities and equipment. Work involves multiple skill areas, including carpentry, air conditioning/heating, painting, plastering, masonry, plumbing, electrical repairs and installations and machine servicing.
This is the first in a series of two building maintenance-related job classifications within the General/Road Maintenance job family. This classification is distinguished by moderately complex maintenance work requiring basic proficiency in multiple skill areas. This classification may require work in secure facilities. This classification may require a flexible work schedule in order to meet the needs of the department. Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs a variety of preventive maintenance routines on equipment, building components, and facilities.
- Performs periodic and routine walk through inspections of assigned facilities, identifies work requirements, submits requirements to service call and performs work assigned.
- Researches and estimates time and materials needed and records time and materials used. Requests for needed tools, equipment, supplies and materials to perform assigned tasks. Monitors expenditure of supplies and controls inventory of equipment and tools.
- Makes electrical, plumbing, masonry and carpentry repairs. Services and repairs heating and air-conditioning systems.
- Replaces broken glass. Installs/replaces light fixtures, and switches.
- Remodels building and facilities. May build cabinets and shelves.
- Prepares for painting. Paints and seals building surfaces and equipment.
- May be required to disassemble/assemble and move furniture and equipment.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned. Minimum Requirements
Education and Experience:
High School diploma or G.E.D. AND three (3) years of building maintenance experience, including preventive maintenance and repairs to equipment, buildings and facilities;
Any combination of education and experience that has been achieved and is equivalent to the stated education and experience and required knowledge, skills, and abilities sufficient to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of this job.
Licenses, Registrations, Certifications, or Special Requirements: Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Universal Certification or must be obtained within one (1) year of date of hire. Valid Texas Driver's License.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Policies, practices, procedures and methods of plumbing, electrical, mechanical and carpentry repair.
- Applicable safety practices and regulations.
- Equipment and tools used in maintenance and repair functions.
- Federal, State, Local and County applicable laws, rules, regulations and guidelines.
Computer equipment to include word processing, spreadsheets, databases and a variety of software packages. Skill in:
Carpentry, painting, plastering, masonry, plumbing, electrical repairs and installations and machine servicing.
- Troubleshooting, diagnosing and performing maintenance and repair needs.
- Reading and interpreting schematics and blueprints.
- Proper and applicable safety practices, procedures and regulations.
- Working with others, including on a team.
Both verbal and written communication. Ability to:
Understand and follow instructions and communicate effectively, as required.
- Safely and correctly apply building and equipment maintenance and repair techniques, and operate tools and equipment.
- Work independently and efficiently.
- Manage time well and meet timelines.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with County employees and officials, representatives of outside agencies, and the general public. Work Environment & Other Information
Physical requirements include the ability to lift up to 100 pounds/carry up to 75 pounds, visual acuity, speech and hearing, hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity. Subject to standing, walking, sitting, repetitive motion, reaching, climbing stairs, bending, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, pushing, pulling, balancing, client/customer contact, squatting to perform the essential functions. Subject to extreme temperatures, outside elements, noise, vibration, contact with dust, fumes and hazardous chemicals, foul odors, animal and human fecal matter, insects and rodents. Requires working at heights from ladders and scaffolds.
This job description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The essential duties, functions and responsibilities and overtime eligibility may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the position.
Work Hours: Vary Works some holidays and weekends
Department: Juvenile Probation
Location: 2515 S. Congress Ave., Austin
Physical and Psychological Exam Required Criminal, Driving, Education and Employment Background Check Required.
Salary: $28,262.42 - $34,621.60 Annually $28,262.42 - $34,621.60 Annually
Job Number: 15-03336
Location: Austin, TX
Closing: 11/15/2016 11:59 PM Central
Job Type: Full Time
Department: Juvenile Probation
Agency: Travis County
Address: 700 Lavaca Street, Suite 420 Austin, Texas, 78701.