Travis County Texas Caseworker in Austin, Texas
Determines applicants' eligibility for a variety of social services available and/or provides other social services related to crisis intervention and short-term case management. Interviews clients, collects and completes required eligibility documentation, determines eligibility for social services assistance and monitors client progress and usage of assistance. Refers clients to clinical and social service provider resources. May serve as lead worker over subordinate social services staff. This position is with the Mental Health Public Defender Office.
This is a job classification within the Social Services job family. This classification is distinguished from other social services classes due to the eligibility-related functions and short-term case management for various clients. This classification interviews clients and collects eligibility documentation to determine appropriate social services assistance and monitors client progress and usage of assistance. Duties also include problem-solving assistance and functioning as an advocate on behalf of the client. This classification may require a flexible work schedule in order to meet the needs of the department.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Interviews clients, collects and completes required documentation and determines eligibility for assistance based upon a variety of service regulations and procedures. Monitors and ensures contract and program compliance. May make home visits on an 'as needed' basis for clients unable to come to the service site.
- Provides basic needs counseling and problem-solving assistance or case management services for clients. Conducts assessment of client needs. Develops casework/service plans, monitors progress and follow-up. Provides social services related to crisis intervention.
- Coordinates with other service agencies, organizations, and vendors to provide appropriate services and information for clients as well as referrals. Serves as an advocate on behalf of client. Makes appropriate referrals to other social service, education, and/or health agencies as needed. Interprets eligibility requirements, policy and procedures to clients, other agencies, vendors and governmental entities.
- Assists in contract development and monitoring.
- Plans, organizes and participates in special projects, including outreach efforts, public speaking and special activities for client. Provides education and training to clients/community.
- May provide short and long-term case management, crisis intervention and service coordination to ensure maximum self-sufficiency and non-institutional living. May provide short-term independent living skills assistance and training.
- May assist clients in obtaining vocational and employment services.
- May coordinate arrangement for indigent burials with funeral homes, survivors and staff. Attends indigent burials to ensure compliance with contract.
- May recruit, train and function as lead over volunteers and staff.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned. Minimum Requirements
Education and Experience:
Bachelor's degree in one of the Social or Behavioral Sciences AND two (2) years experience in social services related work;
Any combination of education and experience that has been achieved and is equivalent to the stated education and experience and required knowledge, skills, and abilities sufficient to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of this job.
Licenses, Registrations, Certifications, or Special Requirements: Valid Texas Driver's License.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Policies, practices, procedures and terminology of assigned function.
- Local social services, organizations and programs and the resources available.
- Federal, State and Local program laws and requirements.
- Modern office practices, procedures and methods.
Computer equipment to include word processing, spreadsheets, databases and a variety of software packages. Skill in:
Providing assistance to clients.
- Interviewing techniques.
- Problem-solving and decision-making.
- Referring clients to appropriate social services organizations and programs.
- Math computation.
- Operating a variety of modern office equipment, including a computer.
Both verbal and written communication. Ability to:
Deal effectively with persons experiencing crises and economic stress.
- Work effectively and courteously under high-pressure circumstances.
- Prepare accurate and complete records and reports.
- Demonstrate consistent, sound, and mature judgment in the effective and efficient use of human and financial resources.
- Manage time well and meet timelines.
- Communicate effectively.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with departmental clientele, representatives of outside agencies, other County employees and officials, community outreach and other organizations, clinical and other social service providers, and the general public. Work Environment & Other Information
Physical requirements include the ability to lift/carry up to 25 pounds occasionally, visual acuity, speech and hearing, hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to operate a computer and office equipment. Subject to standing, sitting, walking, climbing stairs, bending, stooping, crouching, kneeling, pushing, pulling, reaching, twisting, balancing, repetitive motion, driving, client/customer contact, and squatting to perform the essential functions.
This job description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The essential duties, functions and responsibilities and overtime eligibility may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the position.
Work Hours: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Monday through Friday
Department: Justice Planning
Location: 910 Lavaca St., Austin
Education, and Employment background check required.
Salary: $39,615.06 - $49,518.98 Annually $39,615.06 - $49,518.98 Annually
Job Number: 15-03308
Location: Austin, TX
Closing: 10/30/2016 11:59 PM Central
Job Type: Full Time
Department: Justice Planning
Agency: Travis County
Address: 700 Lavaca Street, Suite 420 Austin, Texas, 78701.