Travis County Texas Human Resources Assistant II in Austin, Texas
Works under moderate supervision and normally receives detailed instruction on work assignments. Supports Human Resources management activities in various divisions throughout the organization. Assists in administration of Human Resources management programs. Performs Human Resources support activities and maintains confidentiality regarding Human Resources related issues.
This is a job classification within the Human Resources job family.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinates administrative processing of new hires and terminations. Processes applications, pre-employment screening, testing, scheduling interviews, meetings, training sessions, conducting employment verifications, responding to applicants regarding job openings, and responding to departmental and other inquires related to Human Resources issues. Prepares job postings and job descriptions, as required.
- Logs data and maintains personnel and/or payroll files, records and/or budget information.
- Assists in the administration and communication of policies and procedures. Responds to requests from employees, applicants, public, management, and other County departments regarding ADA, FMLA, FLSA, Workers Compensation, health insurance, billings, employee benefits enrollment, hiring procedures, job requirements, training, light duty assignments. Processes required forms and provides recommendations concerning procedures and personnel issues, as required.
- Prepares, processes and monitors Personnel Action Forms and coordinates with payroll personnel ensuring conformity to State and Federal laws and regulations and County policies.
- Processes and logs various personnel actions including employee performance appraisal forms, family medical leave requests, vacation requests, and time-sheets.
- Assists in evaluating jobs, preparing job descriptions, conducting internal and external surveys to compile information, and analyzing information for reports and presentations.
- Drafts, develops and processes memos, letters, reports, newsletters, forms, and other documents.
- Assists with payroll functions, and maintaining training records and data. Researches and produces Human Resources related statistical reports and presentations, as required.
- Advises management and employees on Human Resources issues, Employment Law, Civil Service Regulations, County Policy, FLSA, FMLA, ADA, Workers Compensation, and Sheriff's Office Policy.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned. Minimum Requirements
Education and Experience:
Associate's degree in Personnel Management, Human Resources Management, Business Administration or a directly related field AND three (3) years of administrative experience supporting Human Resources activities;
Any combination of education and experience that has been achieved and is equivalent to the stated education and experience and required knowledge, skills, and abilities sufficient to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of this job.
Licenses, Registrations, Certifications, or Special Requirements: None required.
Specialized coursework in the area of Human Resources. Bachelor's degree in Personnel Management, Human Resources Management, Public Administration, Business Administration. Valid Texas Driver's License.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- File management and techniques.
- County policies, procedures and terminology.
- Principles and practices of Human Resources management.
- Federal, State, and Local regulations and laws pertaining to employment, Workers Compensation, American with Disabilities Act, Family Medical Leave Act, Fair Labor Standards Act.
- Computer equipment to include word processing, spreadsheets, databases and a variety of software packages.
Business letter writing, grammar and punctuation, and report preparation. Skill in:
Resolving complex problems.
- Conducting research and presenting information.
- Compiling data and generating reports.
Both verbal and written communication. Ability to:
Maintain confidential data and information.
- Create effective filing systems and retrieve and disseminate information.
- Work independently and accomplish department/division objectives.
- Compile data and to write clear and comprehensive reports.
- Perform multitasking.
- Explain information.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with departmental clientele, representatives of outside agencies, other County employees and officials, and the general public. Work Environment & Other Information
Physical requirements include the ability to lift/carry up to 20-50 pounds occasionally, visual acuity, speech and hearing, hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to operate a computer and office equipment. Subject to standing, walking, sitting, repetitive motion, reaching, climbing stairs, bending, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, pushing, pulling, balancing, client/customer contact, squatting to perform the essential functions.
This job description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The essential duties, functions and responsibilities and overtime eligibility may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the position.
Work Hours: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM; Monday through Friday
Location: 5555 Airport Blvd., Austin
Drug and Alcohol Test Required Criminal, Credit, Driving, Education and Employment Background Check Required
Salary: $34,608.50 - $43,260.67 Annually $34,608.50 - $43,260.67 Annually
Job Number: 15-03344
Location: Austin, TX
Closing: 11/1/2016 11:59 PM Central
Job Type: Full Time
Agency: Travis County
Address: 700 Lavaca Street, Suite 420 Austin, Texas, 78701.