Travis County Texas Mechanic Equipment Lead in Austin, Texas
This position directly assists the Fleet Supervisor, in directing, planning and coordinating the daily work activities of the Fleet Service Repair Facility. Performs all types of maintenance and repair work on light or heavy motor vehicles and equipment. Assists, leads, trains and guides other mechanics to perform their daily duties, such as researching parts or repair procedures on a wide range of vehicles or equipment. Completes birthing forms for newly received or procured vehicles and/or equipment in accordance with written instructions. Ensures that new vehicles and/or equipment are made ready for service and transferring ready vehicles to the user department. Assists customers turning in vehicles and/or equipment for service or repairs, assists other mechanics with ordering and with the documentation process of using the Open Purchase Orders. Performs a wide range of duties during the absence of the Supervisor, including, but not limited to, greeting customers, answering phones, taking messages, assigning work, reviewing work orders, ensuring schedules are met, ordering shop supplies, reviewing Purchase Request Forms for large parts list or high ticket items and receiving deliveries from Fed Ex or UPS. Coordinates with other Fleet Repair Facility to locate parts, requests assistance or provides assistance to expedite repairs in-house if needed. Performs all work in compliance with established work schedules, methods, policies and safety procedures and practices. This position is in the EQUIPMENT MECHANIC AREA.
DISTINGUISHING CHARACTERISTICS: This is the second in a series of three equipment mechanic-related job classifications within the Skilled Trades job family. This classification is distinguished by the maintenance and repair work being performed on heavy or light vehicles and equipment, and by the additional lead and technical experience. This classification may require a flexible work schedule in order to meet the needs of the department.
Duties and Responsibilities
This position is in the EQUIPMENT MECHANIC AREA.
- Services, inspects, diagnoses, and repairs motor vehicles and equipment in accordance with preventive maintenance schedules or unscheduled repair work, such as tune-ups, basic and extensive brake jobs, transmission work, both automatic and manual, rear end, front end, fuel systems, electrical systems, ignition systems, diesel and/or gas engine overhaul, tire repair and mounting, hydraulic systems, rebuilding carburetors, starters and engines, rebuilds, drivetrains, changing oil, oil filters, fuel filters, air filters, water separators, lubricates all parts requiring lubrication, makes minor adjustment on any and all components, and refills all fluids with the proper fluids.
- Provides lead supervision to subordinates and other staff to ensure policies and procedures are followed, work and safety standards are maintained, and schedules are met in the absence of the supervisor as required.
- Prepares and completes new vehicle birthing forms for both vehicles and equipment.
- Prepares and completes new vehicle and /or equipment make ready.
- Conducts quality control checks and tests. Test drives vehicles and equipment.
- Maintains records of repairs made, work orders, parts used, and time worked.
- Performs Motor Vehicle State Inspections, both safety and emissions.
- Performs field service calls. Makes diagnosis and required repairs in the field.
- Researches, locates, and completes purchase requests for parts orders.
- Cleans equipment and maintains a clean and safe work area and environment.
- Operates welding equipment, steam cleaner and heavy equipment repair equipment.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned. Minimum Requirements
Education and Experience: High School Diploma or G.E.D. and five (5) years of full-time motor vehicle and/or equipment mechanic experience;
Licenses, Registrations, Certifications, or Special Requirements: State Inspector's License or within sixty (60) days of date of hire. This position is in the EQUIPMENT MECHANIC AREA and requires a Valid Texas Commercial Driver's License (CDL) with Tank Vehicle "N" endorsement, or within two (2) weeks of hire. Proof of CDL or CDL Permit must be presented at interview. If CDL Permit is presented at interview, a Texas DPS document must be included indicating that all CDL required written exams have been completed and passed. Air Conditioner (R12 & 134A) Refrigerant License or within sixty (60) days of date of hire.
Preferred: One (1) year of lead experience. Welding experience. Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) Certification in Automotive or Medium and Heavy Truck. Five (5) years combination of gas and diesel engine experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Methods, equipment, materials and tools used in repairing light or heavy-duty vehicles and equipment.
- Federal, State, Local and County applicable laws, rules, regulations, guidelines; and, applicable automotive/ equipment standards and procedures.
- Computer equipment to include word processing, spreadsheets, databases and a variety of software packages to include electronic diagnostic test equipment and testers.
- Office equipment to include computers, phones, copiers, calculators and fax machines,
- Operating and using tools, equipment, materials and supplies used in motor vehicle fleet maintenance, and light or heavy-duty equipment.
- Applying proper and applicable safety practices, procedures and regulations.
- Working with others, including on a team.
- Explaining complicated problems in simple non-technical language.
- Calculating estimates of time, labor and quantities of materials needed.
- Diagnosing problem using a variety of electronic diagnostic tools to determine repair or replace of components.
- Both verbal and written communication.
- Train and lead the work of staff.
- Diagnose problems and determine appropriate service and/or repair.
- Understand and precisely follow both verbal and written instructions and communicate in a concise and effective manner.
- Maintain accurate work records.
- Work efficiently, both independently and as part of a team.
- Reason and make judgments and decisions.
- Manage time well, perform multiple tasks and organize diverse activities.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with departmental clientele, other County employees and officials, representatives of outside agencies, and the general public. Work Environment & Other Information
Physical requirements include the ability to lift/carry up to 10-60 pounds, visual acuity, speech and hearing, hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to operate a computer and office equipment. Subject to standing, walking, sitting, repetitive motion, reaching, climbing stairs, bending for extended periods of time, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, pushing, pulling, driving, handling, use of vision, depth perception, reaching, forceful gripping, twisting, balancing, client/customer contact, squatting to perform the essential functions. Subject to contact with exhaust fumes, volatile chemicals and hazardous substances. Subject to contact with dangerous machinery, noise, vibration, fumes, foul odor, dirt, dust, mist, gases, and poor ventilation, tools or machinery, indoors/outdoors in all types of weather (excessive heat and cold).
This job description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The essential duties, functions and responsibilities and overtime eligibility may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the position.
Department: Transportation and Natural Resources.
Hours: 7:00 AM to 3:30 PM, Monday through Friday
Location: West Service Center - 4501 FM 620 North
CDL Required Proof of CDL or CDL permit must be presented at time of interview.
Drug & Alcohol Test Required Driving & Employment Background Check Required
Salary: $42,382.08 - $52,977.60 Annually $42,382.08 - $52,977.60 Annually
Job Number: 15-03277
Location: Austin, TX
Closing: 11/8/2016 11:59 PM Central
Job Type: Full Time
Department: TNR (Trans & Natrl Resrc)
Agency: Travis County
Address: 700 Lavaca Street, Suite 420 Austin, Texas, 78701.