Travis County Texas Network Architect in Austin, Texas
Travis County operates a dynamic high-speed network and communications infrastructure, which leverages a fiber optic backbone and cutting edge technology to deliver data and communications services to Travis County employees and constituents. To help us maximize our investment in our network and communications service delivery we are looking for an experienced network and communications architect. This individual should have experience in network design, maintenance, information security, Unified Communications, PSTN, contact center, and team leadership. The primary role of this individual will be to serve as the front line supervisor for the teams that provide network, firewall, wireless, load-balancing, Internet, voice, video, collaboration, and messaging services. This individual will participate in long-term budgeting and planning, and will be responsible for the day to day operation of the Travis County Enterprise network and Communications systems.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Serves as functional and technical expert and team lead for subordinate technical network staff. Trains staff and coordinates team activities. Assists in appraising performance, discipline and hiring decisions.
- Designs, installs, maintains, monitors and documents local area networks (LANs) and wide area networks (WANs) including data center, wireless, voice over IP (VOIP), Internet, etc.
- Monitors network performance and capacity and tracks performance trends.
- Designs and implements highly complex, strategic LAN/WAN strategies to meet a wide spectrum of customer and network needs.
- Leads and engages in complex activities related to implementation, configuration, coordination, control, maintenance, troubleshooting, security, and usage monitoring of the networked environment.
- Participates in planning and budgeting activities required to maintain the I.T. infrastructure.
- Researches and analyzes the technology market and evaluates vendor products in hardware, software and telecommunications equipment. Recommends purchases consistent with the organizations short- and long-term objectives.
- Maintains current system operations and disaster recovery procedures and assists in ensuring data and system integrity.
- Implements system policies and standards and ensures adherence to approved quality, change control, security, and disaster recovery procedures.
- Implements system testing procedures for performance and disaster recovery.
- Ensures that systems meet business requirements.
- Assists in the evaluation of vendor products.
- Troubleshoots and resolves advanced, complex system access and connectivity problems through the use of advanced system utilities.
- Prepares systems specifications and technical documentation.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned. Minimum Requirements
Education and Experience:
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Business Administration or a directly related field AND seven (7) years of relevant work experience, including one (1) year of team lead, supervisory or management experience;
Any combination of education and experience that has been achieved and is equivalent to the stated education and experience and required knowledge, skills, and abilities sufficient to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of this job.
Licenses, Registrations, Certifications, or Special Requirements: Valid Texas Driver's License.
Preferred: Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP) and Cisco Certified Design Professional (CCDP) Cisco Certified Voice Professional (CCVP) Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert (CCIE)
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Supervisory principles, practices and techniques.
- Policies, practices, procedures and terminology of assigned function.
- Federal, State, Local and County applicable laws, rules, regulations and guidelines.
- Information technology hardware, software and peripherals as related to assigned function.
- Network Operating Systems.
- Systems integration and multiple network protocols, such as TCP/IP, IPX/SPX, DHCP, DNS, SNMP.
Computer equipment to include word processing, spreadsheets, databases and a variety of software packages. Skill in:
Supervising staff, allocating resources and evaluating projects.
- Leadership, collaboration and negotiation techniques.
- Problem-solving and decision-making.
Both verbal and written communication, including presentations and communicating technical issues in non-technical language. Ability to:
Design, install, manage and monitor the most highly complex systems, operating system software and applications.
- Work independently and efficiently and as part of a team.
- Manage time well, perform multiple tasks and organize diverse activities.
- Demonstrate strong customer services skills.
- Translate policies and objectives into ideas and applications web-based information products.
- Research, compile, analyze, interpret and prepare a variety of memorandums or reports.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with departmental clientele, representatives of outside agencies and providers, other County employees and officials, and the general public. Work Environment & Other Information
We offer a competitive salary together with a stable work environment, no routine overnight travel, casual dress attire, professional development, 11 paid holidays & accrue 3 weeks of vacation per year, flexible start of work day, excellent pension plan, and an extensive benefits package.
Physical requirements include the ability to lift/carry up to 35-40 pounds occasionally, visual acuity, speech and hearing, hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to operate a computer and office equipment. Subject to standing, sitting, walking, climbing, crawling, bending, stooping, crouching, kneeling, pushing, pulling, reaching, twisting, balancing, repetitive motion, and squatting to perform the essential functions. Subject to exposure to variations in extreme heat, cold, mechanical, fume/odor, and dust/mites.
This job description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The essential duties, functions and responsibilities and overtime eligibility may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the position.
Work Hours: 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM; Monday through Friday Works some holidays, nights and weekends
Department: Information Technology Services
Location: 700 Lavaca St., Downtown Austin
Criminal Background Check Required
Salary: $90,000.00 - $95,000.00 Annually $90,000.00 - $95,000.00 Annually
Job Number: 15-03307
Location: Austin, TX
Closing: 11/1/2016 11:59 PM Central
Job Type: Full Time
Department: Information Technology Services
Agency: Travis County
Address: 700 Lavaca Street, Suite 420 Austin, Texas, 78701.