Travis County Texas Tax Specialist I (Full-time) in Austin, Texas
Responds to public requests by telephone, mail, and in person, and perform various duties involving the processing of forms, payments, and data entry retrieval. Performs a variety of tasks of a specialized nature, including processing registrations, property tax payments, court fines, fees and simple titles. Applies knowledge of tax, court and voter registration policies to customer circumstances and works to resolve customer issues.
This is the first in a series of three tax-related job classifications within the Administrative Support job family. This classification is distinguished from the Tax Specialist II in that incumbents typically have limited tasking capabilities, do not process complex titles, and require extensive supervision to meet standards. This is an entry-level job classification with a pronounced emphasis on customer service. Duties and Responsibilities
- Applies functional knowledge to analyze and respond to matters requiring basic knowledge of department policies and procedures. Performs and conducts research and interpretation in a variety of substantive areas, including whether registrants are in compliance with Texas Traffic Laws, Property Tax Code, Alcoholic Beverage Code, and Texas Election Law. Applies knowledge to system of court fines and fees to determine necessary method of transaction completion. Analyzes simple tax accounts/court cases and legal documents.
- Processes registrations, property tax payments, court fines and fees. Determines eligibility and compliance of voter registration applications. Returns incomplete voter registration applications to applicants with explanation of additional information required. Performs tasks necessary to complete mail-in license registration, subcontractor renewals and title applications. Processes simple titles independently.
- Records transactions and maintains manual and computerized journal entries. Processes financial reports, including receipts, claims, and disbursements. Performs cashiering functions on a rotating basis and balances cash drawer at the end of shift. Balances tax revenues to tax payments and receipts on a daily basis. Receives, posts and issues receipts for fee payments or other charges and submits monies and pertinent information to appropriate departments.
- Approves short-term payment arrangements within office guidelines. Reviews delinquent accounts and contacts appropriate party(s) for payment.
- Maintains effective document, file, and record retrieval system. Maintains accountability for files processed through the system. Enters data from document receipts into automated record system. Compiles information using computer systems. Audits data entry reports and prints final reports for other departments.
- Performs general office functions, including gathering information and statistical data, creating databases and generating reports using spreadsheet and database software. Writes and prepares correspondence. Provides direction and information to the public on procedures, forms and regulations. Provides public with file information, in person and by telephone and may act as the primary contact for assigned functions. May perform general office activities, such as ensuring facility availability, opening and closing doors, and assisting in administrative staff support. May staff service counters, information booth, drive through and lobby areas to assist the general public.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned. Minimum Requirements
Education and Experience:
High School diploma or G.E.D. AND four (4) years of increasingly responsible office/clerical experience, including the operation of modern office and computer equipment to include word processing, spreadsheets, databases and a variety of software packages. Must have customer service experience AND a minimum of one (1) year experience in a directly related function;
Any combination of education and experience that has been achieved and is equivalent to the stated education and experience and required knowledge, skills, and abilities sufficient to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of this job.
Licenses, Registrations, Certifications, or Special Requirements: Candidates will be tested on English reading comprehension, writing, and calculation skills.
Preferred: Bilingual (English/Spanish)
Two (2) positions available
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Customer service and resolving customer problems.
- Texas Traffic Laws, Property Tax Code, Alcoholic Beverage Code, Texas Election Law and Texas Code of Criminal Procedures.
- Modern office/clerical practices and procedures, and methods.
- Application of court fines and fees.
- File management and techniques.
- Principle and procedures of record keeping.
- Computer equipment to include word processing, spreadsheets, databases and a variety of software packages.
Business letter writing, grammar and punctuation, and report preparation. Skill in:
Working with defendants and the general public, both in person and on the phone.
- Resolving complex problems.
- Conducting research and presenting information.
- Processing financial reports, including receipts, claims, and disbursements.
- Performing cashier duties, such as receiving cash, issuing and posting receipts for fee payments or other charges.
- Working independently.
- Analyzing data.
- Negotiating payment plans.
- Recording and compiling material for reports.
- Operating a variety of modern office equipment, including a computer.
Both verbal and written communication. Ability to:
Resolve customer issues and maintain a production schedule.
- Compile data and present it in a clear and comprehensive manner.
- Understand and carry out verbal and written directions.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with departmental clientele, representatives of outside agencies, other County employees and officials, and the general public. Work Environment & Other Information
Physical requirements include the ability to lift/carry up to 20-50 pounds occasionally, visual acuity, speech and hearing, hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to operate a computer and office equipment. Subject to sitting, client/customer contact, standing, walking, vision to monitor, repetitive motion, stooping/kneeling, squatting, bending, and reaching to perform the essential functions.
This job description is intended to be generic in nature. It is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The essential duties, functions and responsibilities and overtime eligibility may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the position.
Two (2) positions available
Department: Tax Collector
Location: 5501 Airport Blvd, Austin
Hours: 8:30 AM-5:30 PM, Monday through Friday
Candidates will be tested on English reading comprehension, writing, and calculation skills. Criminal background check required.
Salary: $32,345.46 Annually $32,345.46 Annually
Job Number: 15-03328
Location: Austin, TX
Closing: 10/26/2016 11:59 PM Central
Job Type: Full Time
Department: Tax Collector
Agency: Travis County
Address: 700 Lavaca Street, Suite 420 Austin, Texas, 78701.