Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Registered Respiratory Therapist (Fee Basis) in Bay Pines, Florida
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
Few vacancies in the following locations:
- Bay Pines, FL
- Cape Coral, FL
Work Schedule is Shift Work - Excepted Service Time-Limited
Opened Friday 7/22/2016 (94 day(s) ago)
** Closes Friday 12/30/2016 (67 day(s) away)
Fee Basis appointments are temporary/time limited and may be terminated at any time.
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN) 1759631
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.**
Announcement amended to reflect the Work Schedule is: *Shift Work- Excepted Service Time-Limited*
The Fee Basis Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT), under the supervision of the Section Chief/Supervisor(s), Cardio-pulmonary Diagnostics and Therapeutic Care Services and coordination of the Program/Team Leader, displays proficiency and performs at a level of excellence in all Respiratory Care and Diagnostic Services. The services are performed in accordance with the guidelines established by the National Board of Respiratory Care (NBRC), American Association for Respiratory Care (AARC), and policies and procedures of Bay Pines VA Healthcare System. The protocol and procedures are established for the treatment, management, evaluation and care of patients with deficiencies and abnormalities associated with the cardiopulmonary system. The services include, but are not limited to, the following activities performed under a provider:
- Therapeutic and diagnostic procedures with the use of medical gases and administration devices, humidification and aerosols
- Administration of medication to the cardio-pulmonary system
- Administration of medication to the cardio-pulmonary system Ventilator support, including maintenance and management of life support systems, and the patient/ventilator interface
- Broncho-pulmonary drainage and breathing exercises
- Pulmonary rehabilitation
- Cardio-pulmonary resuscitation (CPR)
- Rapid Assessment Process team (RAP)
- Insertion and maintenance of airways
- Arterial puncture and arterial line insertion
- Blood gas analysis including electrolytes
- Pulmonary Function and exercise testing
- Patient/family education
- Recognition of the need for medical intervention if patient safety is at risk.
- Electrocardiogram tracing
- Schedules appointments in Vista.
The RRT practices professionally, must be reliable, able to work independently self-motivated. The RRT is responsible for performing job duties in accordance with mission, vision, and values of Bay Pines VA Healthcare System.
Due to the nature of the position, the work schedule will be determined as per the needs of the Service.
References: VA HANDBOOK 5005, Part II, APPENDIX G11 - Registered Respiratory Therapist/ Qualification Standard, April 15, 2002
- Not Required
- Must pass pre-employment examination
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Designated and-or Random Drug Testing required
- Background and-or Security Investigation required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
a. Citizenship. Citizen of the United States. (Noncitizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with chapter 3, section A, paragraph 3g, this part.)
b. Registered Respiratory Therapist. Has a certificate as an RRT from the NBRC (National Board for Respiratory Care) and a registry number, or a certificate from another body which the NBRC recognizes as its credentialing equivalent. This includes registration based on either:
- Having fulfilled the requirements and passed the registry examination administered by the NBRC since 1983, or;
- Having fulfilled the requirements and passed the registry examination for a registered inhalation or respiratory therapist administered by the (1) National Board for Respiratory Therapy from July 1974 through 1982 or (2) American Registry of Inhalation Therapists from 1961 through June 1974. c. Physical Standards. See VA Directive and Handbook 5019.
d. English Language Proficiency. RRTs appointed to direct patient-care positions must be proficient in spoken and written English as required by 38 U.S.C. 7402(d), and 7407(d).
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
* Physical Requirements*
* Functional Requirements*
* Environmental Factors*
Heavy Lifting, 45 pounds and over
Moderate Carrying, 15-44 pounds
Pushing (1 hour)
Use of fingers
Both hands required
Ability to rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously
Near vision correctable at 13" to 16" to Jaeger 1-4
Far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other
Ability to distinguish shades of colors
Hearing (aid permitted)
Working closely with others
Protracted or irregular hours of work
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
After we receive your complete application package (including all required documents), your qualifications will be reviewed and assigned an initial rating.
We will also review your application to make sure that your résumé supports the answers given in the questionnaire. If your résumé does not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. Based on your ranking or numerical score, you may be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. You will be notified when your rating is determined.
Due to the time limited nature of Fee Basis appointments, staff hired under this appointment authority are not entitled to Federal employee benefits.
Salary Range: $28.50 to $28.50 / Fee Basis
Series & Grade: FB-0601-00/00
Promotion Potential: 00
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: Fee Basis appointments are time limited appointments and may be terminated at any time.
Control Number: 445536800
Job Announcement Number: NY-16-SMH-1759631