Washington State L&I Revenue Agent 2, Spanish Bilingual in Bremerton, Washington
Balancing compliance, customer centered service and education of debtors, are critical components of your success.
As a Revenue Agent, you'll be responsible for collecting debts owed to the Department of Labor & Industries in a professional and courteous manner. This job requires your ability to explain the origin of delinquent debts owed to the Department of Labor & Industries and your ability to work with diverse individuals who, at times can be demanding or hostile. Revenue Agents must comprehend and assimilate complex tax laws and rules, departmental policy, manuals and legal orders.
This positon requires English and Spanish written and verbal communication skill. You'll use your ingenuity and resourcefulness to accomplish objectives and implement legal action when necessary. You must have the ability to analyze taxpayer's financial situations, determine their ability to pay and extent of possible jeopardy while functioning in a diplomatic manner. Make prompt and accurate decisions that could involve legal actions, complete work assignments with minimal supervision, and maintain harmonious working relations with coworkers, the public, business community, and other governmental agencies.
Regular travel is required, and is typically local or regional to conduct field visits (including in Kitsap, Jefferson and Clallam counties), meet with clients, conduct business, and/or attend training.
Some of what you'll do:
- Manage a caseload of debtors. Analyze debtor's financial situation, create a plan of action to locate assets and determine validity of outstanding debt and collect debt.
- Provide oral and written bilingual interpretation and translation services for Spanish speaking customers.
- Contact employers by phone, email, in writing and in person to explain origin of collection debts and initiate collection of money owed to the Department.
- Issue legal documents required by law.
- Educate and provide assistance to customers/debtors on policies and procedures, answer questions and refer to appropriate staff when necessary.
- Document collection activities, contacts and attempted contacts with debtors.
- Update computer tax files and databases with current and accurate employer information.
- Negotiate payment plans with employers or their financial and legal representatives, review employer's financial records and determine ability to pay debt. Monitor payment plans and take appropriate action if firm defaults.
- Use professional skip tracing methods when necessary to locate delinquent employers. Research cases for employer fraud. Make referrals for cases that require auditing or need to be moved to the next level of investigation for possible fraudulent activities pertaining to Labor & Industries.
Who should apply
Preferred applicants with English and Spanish bilingual communication skills with one year of experience as a Revenue Agent 1; or three years as an L&I; Customer Service Specialist; or a bachelor's degree and one year of experience in the field of personal finance, law enforcement, adjustment of claims, or collections of civil debts or other directly related field.
Additional qualifying experience may substitute year-for- year for education
What we are looking for:
- Customer centered focus, ability to understand customer's needs, while educating them on next steps of the collection process.
- English and Spanish written and verbal communication skill.
- Professional, respectful and courteous in all interaction.
- Knowledge of collection practices, investigative techniques, and business law.
- Demonstrated ability to manage a caseload trouble shoot and resolve customer complaints, process, organize and track legal documents.
- Self-starter, dependable, and professional in all interactions.
- Ability to work within limited supervision while resolving multiple priorities and tasks to meet establish deadlines.
- Willing to work with difficult and at times, hostile customers, responding to stressful or sensitive interpersonal situations with tact and diplomacy.
Note: In addition to your application, the process requires that you include a cover letter/letter of interest clearly addressing the above section of job announcement titled: "Who Should Apply - What we are looking for" to be included in your application package. Please attach while in the online application process.
This job announcement may be used to fill multiple vacancies. Application review starts immediately and the hiring authority reserves the right to offer the job at any time. It's to your advantage to apply quickly.
Employees driving on state business must have a valid driver's license. Employees driving a privately owned vehicle on state business must have liability insurance on the privately owned vehicle.
Prior to any new hire into L&I;, a background check, including criminal record history, will be conducted.
To apply, follow the "Apply" link above Jobs advertised as Open Continuous will be closed without notice. Apply quickly!
We're looking for evidence that you have what we're looking for. Your application materials will be used for deciding who'll be selected for interview.
For more information about the Department of Labor & Industries visit: http://www.lni.wa.gov/ OR Contact us at: Jobs@Lni.wa.gov
L&I; strives to attract and retain a high-performing and diverse workforce in which our differences are respected and valued to better meet the needs of the diverse customers we serve. L&I; fosters an inclusive environment that promotes safety, collaboration, flexibility and fairness so that all employees can participate and contribute to their full potential.
Persons with a disability, who need assistance in the application process, or those needing this announcement in an alternative format, may call (360) 902-5700. Applicants that are deaf or hard of hearing may call through the Washington Relay Service at 7-1-1.
The State of Washington is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Job Type: Agency Internal - Permanent
Job Number: 2016-10635
Department: Dept. of Labor & Industries
Closing: 10/25/2016 11:59 PM Pacific
Agency: State of Washington
Address: View Job Posting for Agency Information View Job Posting for Location, Washington, 98504.
Salary: $3,541.00 - $4,644.00 Monthly
Location: Kitsap County – Bremerton, WA