Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Advanced Medical Support Assistant in Brookings, Oregon
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
Many vacancies in the following locations:
- Brookings, OR
- Eugene, OR
- North Bend, OR
- Roseburg, OR
Work Schedule is Full Time - Excepted Service Permanent
Opened Tuesday 10/4/2016 (20 day(s) ago)
** Closes Friday 4/7/2017 (165 day(s) away)
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 1815778
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
For more information on the North Bend Area...http://www.oregonsbayarea.org
For more information on the Brookings Area....http://www.brookingsharborchamber.com/
For more information on the Eugene Area... http://www.visitlanecounty.org/index.cfm
For more information on the Roseburg Area....http://www.roseburgareachamber.org
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38,
and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
As an Advanced Medical Support Assistant you will be serving in an in-patient or outpatient clinic setting. Depending on your location of choice you will be working at the Roseburg VA Medical Center in Roseburg, OR; Eugene Healthcare Center in Eugene, OR; Community Based Outpatient Clinic (CBOC) in Brookings, OR; or the CBOC in North Bend, OR. Your duties will be related to the intake and compiling of health administrative information. The majority of your work will be interfacing with personal computer (PC) applications as well as other computer based systems and software. You will be placed in a Patient Aligned Care Team (PACT) setting or in a Specialty or Surgical Clinic location.
Work Schedule:Monday through Friday and Weekend work (7:30a - 4:00p; 8:00a - 4:30p; 8:30a - 5:00p)
Functional Statement:Advanced Medical Support Assistant
Recruitment/Relocation: Not authorized
Compressed Tours:Not authorized
All current Federal employees must submit a copy of your latest NON-AWARD SF-50 showing your tenure, grade and step, and type of position occupied (i.e., Excepted or Competitive).
This is an open continuous announcement. Qualified candidates will be referred to the Selecting Manager every 15 workdays from the date of posting until the closing date.
If you are a VA Employee apply to: LW-17-MAl-1815733-BU
NOTE: Please read the vacancy announcement carefully. You must apply online or fax your documents.
Duties of the position include, but are not limited to:
- uses scheduling software in accordance with agency directives and established business rules to schedule appointments for Veterans, which include all of the following, but not limited to: Clinic visits (New, Established, Consultations, Procedures) which will include scheduling software components such as Recall Reminders (RR), Electronic Wait List Entries (EWL) and Veterans Choice List (VCL) entries.
- use a computerized patient record system (CPRS) in conjunction with software to view, process and schedule RTC orders, Radiology Orders and Lab Orders by interpreting and verifying provider and patient requests
- utilize agency software, such as VETLINK, to monitor and assist Veterans with appointment management, information pertaining to patient demographics, travel benefits, insurance and other information management associated with software
- verify and update patient demographics following agency policies and directives
- enter/update or verify insurance information per agency policies and directives.
- monitor and interpret patient flags and alerts through software for compliance including Means Test notifications to assist and inform patients of requirements for associated benefits
- participates in process improvement projects
- Trains other MSA's as needed
- Run and/or receive reports and complete associated tasks as assigned
- Not Required
- Must pass pre-employment examination
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Designated and-or Random Drug Testing required
- Background and-or Security Investigation required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
*Basic Requirements: *
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Experience and Education
- (1) Experience: Six months experience of clerical, office or other work that indicates the ability to acquire the particular knowledge and skills needed to perform the duties of the position; or
- (2) Education: One year above high school; or
- (3) Experience/Education Combination: Equivalent combination of experience and education are qualifying for entry level for which both education and experience are acceptable.
- English Language Proficiency: MSAs must be proficient in spoken and written English in accordance with VA Handbook 5005, part II, chapter 3, section A, paragraph 3j. Preferred Experience:
Qualifying experience must be at a level comparable to MSA experience at the next lower grade level. For all assignments above the full performance level, the higher level duties must consist of significant scope, administrative independence, complexity (difficulty) and range of variety as described in this standard at the specified grade level and be performed by the incumbent at least 25% of the time.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Grade Determinations:For GS-06 Advanced MSA
Experience: One year of experience equivalent to the next lower grade level (GS-05).
The full performance level is GS-05. At this level, the MSA performs a full range of duties. The MSA is responsible for scheduling appointments, including interpreting and verifying provider orders in accordance with VHA national scheduling guidelines. Assignments at this level include, but are not limited to: scheduling, canceling, re-scheduling patient's appointments and/or consults; entering no-show information; monitoring the electronic wait list; preparing for clinic visits; monitoring both inpatient and outpatient appointments for areas of responsibility; ensuring encounter forms are completed in order to obtain appropriate workload credit; verifying and updating demographics and insurance information; processing all emergency and non-emergency transfers to other VA facilities or private hospitals; performing basic eligibility, co-pays and preauthorization requirements for specific coverage (i.e., TRICARE, sharing agreements, etc.).
References: VA Handbook 5005/53 Part II Appendix G45. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements: See VA Directive and Handbook 5019.
What To Expect Next
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During our review, if your résumé and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided); otherwise, applicants will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on Application Status. For a more detailed update of your status, click on more information. Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides an overview of the benefits currently offered: http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-choose-va/benefits/index.asp.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
Interchange Agreements: Two interchange agreements between VA and Office of Personnel Management (OPM) negotiated under provisions contained in Executive Orders 9830 and 10577, Civil Service Rule 6.7., allow for movement of personnel employed under 38 U.S.C. 7401(1) and 7401(3) in Veterans Health Administration (VHA) and the competitive civil service. Employees must have at least 1 year of continuous service in order to be covered by the terms of these agreements. Title 38 and Hybrid Title 38 employees who are eligible for conversion to competitive service positions under VA interchange agreements and are in the area of consideration for posted vacancies shall be allowed to apply.
NOTE: FAILURE TO SUBMIT ANY OF THE ABOVE SUPPORTIING DOCUMENTS WILL RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION FOR THE POSITION.
Salary Range: $35,609.00 to $46,294.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0679-06/06
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: Federal Employees (other than VA) and US Citizens only
Control Number: 452198600
Job Announcement Number: LW-17-MAl-1815778-BU