Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Medical Support Assistant in Brookings, Oregon
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
Many vacancies in the following locations:
- Brookings, OR
- Eugene, OR
- North Bend, OR
- Roseburg, OR
Work Schedule is Full Time - Excepted Service Permanent
Opened Tuesday 10/4/2016 (21 day(s) ago)
** Closes Friday 4/7/2017 (164 day(s) away)
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 1815699
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
For more information on the North Bend Area...http://www.oregonsbayarea.org
For more information on the Brookings Area....http://www.brookingsharborchamber.com/
For more information on the Eugene Area... http://www.visitlanecounty.org/index.cfm
For more information on the Roseburg Area....http://www.roseburgareachamber.org
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
As a Medical Support Assistant you will be serving in an in-patient or out-patient clinic setting. Depending on your location of choice you will be working at the Roseburg VA Medical Center in Roseburg, OR; Eugene Healthcare Center in Eugene, OR; Community Based Outpatient Clinic (CBOC) in Brookings, OR; or the CBOC in North Bend, OR. Your duties will be related to the intake and compiling of health administrative information. The majority of your work will be interfacing with personal computer (PC) applications as well as other computer based systems and software.
Work Schedule:Monday through Friday and Weekend work (7:30a - 4:00p; 8:00a - 4:30p; 8:30a - 5:00p)
Functional Statement:Medical Support Assistant
Recruitment/Relocation: Not authorized
Compressed Tours:Not authorized
All current Federal employees must submit a copy of your latest NON-AWARD SF-50 showing your tenure, grade and step, and type of position occupied (i.e., Excepted or Competitive).
If you are a VA Employee apply to: LW-17-MAl-1815537-BU
This is an open continuous announcement. Qualified candidates will be referred to the Selecting Manager every 15 workdays from the date of posting until the closing date.
NOTE: Please read the vacancy announcement carefully. You must apply online or fax your documents.
For GS-3: this is an entry level MSA and will receive guidance from more experienced staff members and will require frequent and direct supervision.
For GS-4: this is a developmental level MSA. It is expected the MSAs at this level will receive significant guidance from more experienced staff members for tasks and will require frequent and direct contact from the assigned lead and/or supervisor.
For GS-5: this is the full performance level MSA. At this level, the MSA will perform a full range of duties as assigned.
Duties of the position include, but are not limited to:
- use VISTA scheduling software in accordance with VHA directives and established business rules to schedule appointments for Veterans
- use Computerized Patient Record System (CPRS) in conjunction with VISTA scheduling software to view, process and schedule RTC orders, Radiology Orders and Lab Orders by interpreting and verifying provider and patient requests
- utilize VHA software, VETLINK to monitor and assist Veterans with appointment management, information pertaining to patient demographics, travel benefits, insurance and other information management associated with software
- enter/update or verify insurance information per VHA policies and directives Serve as a frontline representative and or Liaison to assist Veterans and Staff;
- process various requests for information, which will include but not limited to: In-Person assistance, Telephone calls, Emails, Faxes, Mail, Electronic notifications through VHA Systems and requests for Release Of Information (ROI) following all VHA directives
- Receives reports from Supervisor and completes associated tasks
- Not Required
- Must pass pre-employment examination
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English
- Designated and-or Random Drug Testing required
- Background and-or Security Investigation required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
*Basic Requirements: *
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Experience and Education
- (1) Experience: Six months experience of clerical, office or other work that indicates the ability to acquire the particular knowledge and skills needed to perform the duties of the position; or
- (2) Education: One year above high school; or
- (3) Experience/Education Combination: Equivalent combination of experience and education are qualifying for entry level for which both education and experience are acceptable.
- English Language Proficiency: MSAs must be proficient in spoken and written English in accordance with VA Handbook 5005, part II, chapter 3, section A, paragraph 3j.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
GS-3 (entry level) - None beyond the basic requirements.
GS-4 (developmental level) - one (1) year of experience in clerical or office work that indicates the ability to acquire the particular knowledge and skills needed to perform the duties of the position OR two years of education above high school. Incumbent must have 1. ability to meet, communicate and interact with individuals from varying backgrounds and other health care team members in a courteous and helpful manner in order to complete job assignments; 2. ability to use various types of office automation equipment and software; 3. ability to set up, organize, and maintain record systems.
GS-5 (full performance level) - one (1) year of experience equivalent to the next lower grade level (GS-4) or four (4) years of education above high school. Experience at the next lower grade requires the incumbent to have the 1. ability to meet, communicate and interact with individuals from varying backgrounds and other health care team members in a courteous and helpful manner in order to complete job assignments. 2. Ability to use various types of office automation equipment and software. 3. Ability to set up, organize, and maintain record systems.
References: VA Handbook 5005/53 Part II Appendix G45. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements:See VA Directive and Handbook 5019.
What To Expect Next
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During our review, if your résumé and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided); otherwise, applicants will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on Application Status. For a more detailed update of your status, click on more information. Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides an overview of the benefits currently offered: http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-choose-va/benefits/index.asp.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
Interchange Agreements: Two interchange agreements between VA and Office of Personnel Management (OPM) negotiated under provisions contained in Executive Orders 9830 and 10577, Civil Service Rule 6.7., allow for movement of personnel employed under 38 U.S.C. 7401(1) and 7401(3) in Veterans Health Administration (VHA) and the competitive civil service. Employees must have at least 1 year of continuous service in order to be covered by the terms of these agreements. Title 38 and Hybrid Title 38 employees who are eligible for conversion to competitive service positions under VA interchange agreements and are in the area of consideration for posted vacancies shall be allowed to apply.
NOTE: FAILURE TO SUBMIT ANY OF THE ABOVE SUPPORTIING DOCUMENTS WILL RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION FOR THE POSITION.
Salary Range: $25,731.00 to $42,012.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0679-03/05
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: Federal Agency (non VA) employees and US Citizens Only
Control Number: 452190300
Job Announcement Number: LW-17-MAl-1815699-BU