Illinois Tool Works, Inc. Global Operations Director in Carol Stream, Illinois
Global Operations Director at ITW
Zip-Pak is a division of Illinois Tool Works (ITW), a Fortune 200 company that is one of the world’s leading diversified manufacturers of specialized industrial equipment, consumables and related service businesses.
Zip-Pak serves customers and markets around the globe, with a significant presence in developed and emerging markets offering a complete range of re-sealable closure services, machinery and solutions.
We operate in more than 52 countries around the world with a workforce of more than 270 dedicated flexible packaging professionals. These talented individuals adhere to the highest professional standards and focus their efforts to meeting and exceeding the needs of every Zip-Pak client. Combining this commitment to client success with our technical innovation and unmatched network of resources enables us to confidently and consistently deliver “uniquely flexible" solutions to our customers.
The Global Operations Director will report to VP/GM Zip-Pak and will be responsible for directing and coordinating activities of a multi-site organization to obtain optimum efficiency and economy of operations. This role will have oversight for all operations (US, Europe, and Brazil) in terms of manufacturing, supply chain and quality.
As a key member of the leadership team, is responsible to develop, lead and implement manufacturing strategies (both tactical and strategic) that drive and support profitable growth for the Division. This includes decisions related to all facets of the supply chain side, such as the manufacturing operations and strategic sourcing. Locations include: Atlanta, GA, Manteno and Ottawa, IL, Whitby, UK, Winschoten, Netherlands, and Cabreúva – São Paulo, Brazil.
● Partners with the leadership team to develop and execute Annual and Long Range Plans based on in-depth understanding of business and operations.
● Develop the vision, strategic plan and the annual tactics in collaboration with plant leadership to drive an optimized global manufacturing strategy.
● Analysis of manufacturing productivity, capabilities, and capacity utilization to drive global and regional decisions
● Develop capital expenditure plans. Ensure compliance with company needs for capital investments and improvement projects and execute on all operational CAPEX projects.
● Financial accountability; revenue and variable margin growth, budget, planning and KPI’s.
● Support new product development and modifications.
Operational Planning / Management
● Drives a strong safety culture ensuring a safe and healthful workplace where hazards are identified and effective physical and administrative protections are established and maintained.
● Working with operations leadership, develops robust manufacturing plans to establish procedures for maintaining high standards of manufacturing operations to ensure that products conform to established customer and company quality standards in cost, quality and responsiveness.
● Drive best in class operations around quality, production efficiency and safety. Driving continuous improvement and waste reduction initiatives
● Directs operational strategies to continuously deliver exceptional customer service.
● Reallocates operation resources to align with ITW and Division goals. Ensures that the company has the manufacturing capabilities to meet and exceed all industry and customer requirements.
● Manage target setting process- capacity planning/production planning/ forecasting
● Pro-actively direct the resolution of any operational, manufacturing, maintenance and plant services issues to ensure mimimum costs and prevent operational delays.
● Collaborate across the organization by working with regional and global manufacturing and sourcing functions to implement strategies and action plans that deliver the most efficient and effective supply chain and distribution. Consistently reduces costs through productivity gains and souring improvements.
● Effectively manages the supply chain to drive our differentiation and encourage simplification/standardization to lessen complexity.
Continuous Improvement / ITW Toolbox Implementation
● Leader of 80/20, USa, MRD, In-Lining and gets results (or Six Sigma, LEAN, etc., if external); demonstrated financial improvement.
● Define key performance metrics and monitor performance to exceed KPI targets. Actively adjust and implement changes necessary to drive best-in-industry performance to produce optimum operational results and P&L improvement.
● Drive consistent work place policies and procedures that are aligned with ITW approaches and develop key metrics to measure progress of initiatives.
Team Leadership and Development
● Leads and develops talent to maximize individual, team and organizational effectiveness. Fosters a culture of engagement and accountability, cascading vision, and creating goal alignment
● Responsible for leading and developing a team of Operations Directors/Managers and their direct reports.
● Use appropriate interpersonal styles and techniques to gain acceptance of ideas and plans. Coaches through feedback, development planning and performance management
● Champion the effective use of change management principles, strategies and techniques to plan, implement and evaluate change.
● Builds a strong pipeline of talent to ensure a diverse high performing organization.
Zip-Pak is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
● Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s degree or additional educational experiences a plus.
● 7+ years of progressive experience in operation management experience in leading large, growing, lean manufacturing operations.
● Demonstrated ability to produce results within a team environment and to gain alignment and develop productive working relationships at all levels of the organization.
● Must have hands-on process manufacturing experience (ideally in plastics, flexible packaging, and extrusion), production and inventory control, ERP systems, knowledge and understanding of good purchasing practices, sound engineering practices, and material handling/warehousing, facilities, and shipping functions.
● Must have knowledge of environmental and OSHA requirements, QA and QC quality systems.
● Proven experience of managing an organization across more than one geography.
● Able to define a problem, gather data to draw conclusions and develop appropriate plans to address.
● Strong change management, analytical, problem solving, organizational, time management, and project management skills.
● Experience building people and organization plans to ensure organizational readiness and capability to meet changing business conditions.
● Excellent understanding of business dynamics and organizational design.
● Confident with financial data analysis and budget planning.
● Exceptional track record of developing and implementing lean operational strategies.
● Excellent verbal, written, interpersonal, communication and presentation skills with experience in communicating and working with a remote staff.
● Willing to travel world-wide. 25% of travel.
● Cross cultural awareness