Indian Health Service Dental Assistant (EF) in Cass Lake, Minnesota
Indian Health Service
Few vacancies in the following locations:
- Cass Lake, MN
- Red Lake, MN
Work Schedule is Multiple Schedules - Multiple Appointment Types
Opened Wednesday 2/10/2016 (257 day(s) ago)
** Closes Saturday 12/31/2016 (68 day(s) away)
Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives.
This position is being announced concurrently under Delegated Examining procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number ++IHS-16-BJ-1625299-DE++; for eligibility requirements. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered
Overview: Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), Indian Health Service (IHS), Northern Plains Regional Bemidji Area, PHS Indian Health Hospitals, Cass Lake and Red Lake, Minnesota United States.
Your application will expire in 3 months and you will need to reapply to keep your application active. This is an Open Continuous Announcement (OCA) and applications will be referred when vacancies occur. This Announcement is intended as a mechanism of providing consideration for the greatest number of potential candidates. Candidates with a complete application will be considered for all vacancies that occur for a 3-month period or the closing date of this announcement, whichever comes first. You will be considered for those vacancies that match your desired geographic locations, skills and or job preferences. Positions may be filled at ANY of the grade levels indicated in this announcement, with or without promotion potential as vacancies occur. Applicants should specify the lowest grade (GS-level) that they will accept.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Applies desensitizing agents, and other topical agents prescribed by dentist to specified areas of the oral cavity including sealants. Takes preliminary impressions for study models and modifies impression trays as needed.
- Prepares dental work area for dentists and/or hygienists, including seating and draping patients, and setting out instruments and materials needed for treatment; Performs scaling and prophylaxis with hand and mechanized instruments to remove accretions, deposits, plaque and stains from teeth.
- Performs record keeping duties, prevention duties and chair side assistance to the dentist Cleans and sterilizes dental equipment and instruments using autoclave according to infection control standards. Cleans and disinfects dental work areas according to infection control standards.
- Stores and maintains adequate supplies in dental work areas, including preparing trays, packs, etc.
- Performs other position related duties as assigned.
- Occasional Travel
- Travel may be required for training and/or other work related duties.
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check.
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation.
- Selectee will be subject to a probationary/trial period.
- ESEP appointees typically serve two year trial period.
- More than one selection may be made from this announcement.
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- (Delete if not applicable) Confidential Financial Disclosure Form required.
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying. For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
Individual Occupational Requirements
NOTE: Public Law 97-35 requires that persons who administer radiologic procedures meet the credentialing standards in 42 CFR Part 75. Essentially, they must (l) have successfully completed an educational program that meets or exceeds the standards described in that regulation, and is accredited by an organization recognized by the Department of Education, and (2) be certified as radiographers in their field. The following meet these requirements:
- (1) Persons employed by the Federal Government as radiologic personnel prior to the effective date of the regulation (January 13, 1986) who show evidence of current or fully satisfactory performance or certification of such from a licensed practitioner such as a doctor of medicine, osteopathy, dentistry, podiatry, or chiropractic who prescribes radiologic procedures to others.
- (2) Persons first employed by the Federal Government as radiologic personnel after the effective date of the regulation who (a) received training from institutions in a State or foreign jurisdiction that did not accredit training in that particular field at the time of graduation, or (b) practiced in a State or foreign jurisdiction that did not license that particular field or did not allow special eligibility to take a licensure examination for those who did not graduate from an accredited educational program, provided such persons show evidence of training, experience, and competence, as determined by OPM or the employing agency.
All applicants, however, must meet the requirements below.
Specialized Experience (for positions at GS-4 and above): Experience in dental assistance to general or specialized dentistry, dental assistant (expanded function) work, or any combination of these appropriate to the position being filled. OR Education and Training:
- For GS-3: Successful completion of (a) a 1-year dental assistant program or completion of l year of a dental hygiene program accredited by the American Dental Association's Commission on Accreditation that included a course in radiation physics; radiation biology; radiation health, safety, and protection; X-ray films and radiographic film quality, radiographic techniques; darkroom and processing techniques; and film mounting; or (b) practical nurse training approved by the appropriate State, territory, or District of Columbia accrediting body.
- For GS-4: Successful completion of a 2-year dental assistant program or completion of a 2-year dental hygiene program accredited by the American Dental Association's Commission on Accreditation that included at least 12 semester hours of courses such as those shown above for GS-3.
- For GS-5: Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in a dental assistant or dental hygiene program that included at least 24 semester hours in courses as shown above for GS-3.
Special Requirements for GS-5 and above Dental Assistant (Expanded Function):
Applicants for Dental Assistant (Expanded Function) positions must have completed l year of acceptable course work, preceptorship, or other formal training and/or work assignments specifically designed to equip them with knowledge and skills required to perform intra-oral procedures involved in the position to be filled. Examples of acceptable training are:
- Courses in a dental hygiene or dental assistant program accredited by the American Dental Association's Commission on Accreditation that are directly related to the intra-oral procedures (also referred to as expanded functions) that are to be performed in the position to be filled.
- U.S. Army's Dental Therapy Assistant Training Program.
- Continuing education courses in expanded functions for dental assistants offered by the Indian Health Service of the Department of Health and Human Services.
- Other training comparable to the above in private or governmental hospitals, clinics, or schools that included formal classroom instruction and clinical training in the knowledge and skills required to perform intra-oral procedures in the position to be filled.
Experience and Education Requirements GS-3: Six (6) Months of general experience OR One (1) year above high school with course(s) related to the occupation, if required. GS-4: Six (6) months of general experience and 6 months of specialized experience OR two (2) years above high school with courses related to the occupation, if required. GS-5: One (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-04 grade level OR four (4) year course of study above high school leading to a bachelor's degree with courses related to the occupation, if required.
General Experience: (l) Any type of work that demonstrates the applicant's ability to perform the work of the position, or (2) experience that provided a familiarity with the subject matter or processes of the broad subject area of the occupation. Specialized Experience: Experience that equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities (KSA's) to perform successfully the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled. To be creditable, specialized experience must have been equivalent to at least the next lower grade level. Applicants who have the 1 year of appropriate specialized experience, as indicated in the table, are not required by this standard to have general experience, education above the high school level, or any additional specialized experience to meet the minimum qualification requirements. Examples of Specialized Experience:
- GS-4 grade level is work involving performing chair side assistance duties in all phases of restorative, prosthodontics, surgical, endodontic and periodontal treatment as provided in general dentistry, passes instruments and materials to and retrieves from the dentist, operates dental x-ray equipment to take intra and extra-oral radiographs, relays dentist's instructions to patient for post-treatment care. Instructs patient in brushing and flossing techniques, care of prosthodontics appliances and common cause of tooth decay, provides fluoride varnishes.
- GS-5 grade level is work involving assisting dentist in oral surgical procedures, anticipates surgeon's need at each stage of operation, using irrigation solutions, operates suction tip and evacuator, observes patients for signs of adverse reaction to treatment, changes and removes surgical dressings, takes preliminary impressions, relays to patient specialized instructions from dentist for post surgery patients, places sealants, places temporary fillings.
Time-In-Grade Requirements: Merit Promotion (status) candidates must have completed one year of service at the next lower grade level. Time-In-Grade provisions do not apply under the Excepted Service Examining Plan (ESEP).
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Saturday, December 31, 2016
Q - Nonsensitive
What To Expect Next
You can track the progress of your application package via your USAJOBS account. You will receive an acknowledgement from USAJOBS that your submission was successful once we have received your on-line occupational questionnaire, resume, and any supporting documentation. You will be notified of the status of your application via your USAJOBS Account after we conduct a qualification review of your complete application package. You will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempt to conceal information may disqualify you for employment consideration. We may verify all information you provide in your resume and questionnaire responses, through reference and/or background check, and/or verification of your education. If you are selected, you will be contacted personally by the Human Resources (HR) office posting this announcement.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a fingerprint check. Fingerprint results must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- A one/two-year probationary/trial period may be required upon selection/placement.
- This is a bargaining unit position. (Red Lake positions are not bargaining unit positions.
- Position is covered by PL 101-630.
- Selectee will be required to be immunized against Measles and Rubella and provide documentation prior to or at the time of their start date. Special consideration may be allowed to individuals who are allergic to a component of the vaccine or are currently pregnant. Selectee must have documented immunity to Rubella and Measles.
- Males over the age of 18, and born after December 31, 1959, are required to be registered with the Selective Service System (or have an exemption) in order to be eligible for employment with the Federal Government.
- Selectee(s) are required to have a viable bank account at a financial institution for electronic direct deposit of salary payment.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $25,731.00 to $42,012.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0681-03/05
Promotion Potential: 05
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: Candidates eligible under Indian Preference authority; Federal employee serving on career/career-conditional appointments; reinstatement eligibles; applicants eligible for non-competitive appointment; VEOA/VRA/30% disabled veterans; CTAP/ICTAP; Schedule A eligibles; PHS Commissioned Corps Personnel
Control Number: 429380500
Job Announcement Number: IHS-16-BJ-1625297-ESEP/MP