Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Chief Psychiatrist (Inpatient Division Manager) in Chillicothe, Ohio
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Chillicothe, OH
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Wednesday 8/17/2016 (67 day(s) ago)
** Closes Saturday 12/31/2016 (69 day(s) away)
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 1775823
Chillicothe, Ohio is nestled in the beautiful hills of Ross County. Chillicothe is blessed with an abundance of historical and recreational opportunities. There are five state parks within a 30-minute drive. Strong schools and affordable housing make Chillicothe a great place to live and work. The small town charm of this city is perfectly complimented by easy access to Columbus, Dayton, and Cincinnati for those seeking city amenities.
Our professionals find it easy to sustain a work/life balance with competitive salaries, attractive benefits packages, and generous paid time off. Most enjoy a Monday thru Friday from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm with little to no Call expectations. Paid time off is generous with 26 days of paid annual leave, 13 days of paid sick leave each year and 10 paid federal holidays. Opportunities also exist for those interested in mentoring and teaching future care givers through affiliations with several local medical schools, including the Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine and the Ohio State University.
As a VA professional, your opportunities are endless. With many openings in the multiple functions of VA, you will have a wide range of opportunities at your fingertips. Not only is it the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries.
Our MISSION:To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans.**
You may be eligible to apply for the Education Debt Reduction Program. Please contact Human Resources at this medical center and speak with the Education Debt Reduction Program Coordinator for additional information.
This position functions as a supervisor of clinical staff in the Inpatient Division of the Mental Health Care Line (MHCL.) Responsibilities include:
- Development and implementation of policies, and procedures; oversight of administrative and programmatic resources; and coordination of services to Veterans within the inpatient areas of MHCL.
- Leading efforts to maintain Joint Commission accreditation.
- Provides daily program direction to the treatment teams, assuring that services provided to the Veterans in inpatient programs are documented in an interdisciplinary manner.
- Is the Chief Psychiatrist and functions as the clinical supervisor of all psychiatrists at the Chillicothe VAMC. As Chief Psychiatrist the incumbent completes Ongoing Professional Practice Evaluations (OPPE) and Focused Professional Practice Evaluations (FPPE.)
- Coordinates clinical coverage for all psychiatrists and advanced practice professionals within MHCL with the appropriate administrative supervisors.
- Insures that appropriate programs are in place for the Credentialing, Privileging and Clinical Pertinence Review of psychiatrists.
- Provide direct clinical supervision to mid-level providers, psychiatric advanced practice nurses or physician assistants and other staff as appropriate.
The work requires administrative and practical knowledge as a Psychiatrist. The incumbent is required to exercise judgment in the selection of or adaptation of standard and accepted clinical theories, techniques, and practices in treating patients or developing new techniques and programs for the treatment of specialized problems or clinical populations. Other services include, but are not limited to, treatment common patient diagnoses to include anxiety disorders, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Major Depression and other mood disorders, Substance Use Disorders, Bipolar Disorder, Schizophrenia, and other Serious Mental Illnesses, Dementia, and mental disorder related to Traumatic Brain Injuries.
* Work Schedule*: Monday - Friday, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm
Statement of Duties Title: Chief Psychiatrist/Inpatient Division Manager
- Not Required
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Designated and/or Random Drug Testing required.
- Background and/or Security Investigation required.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- Must be a citizen of the United States (Noncitizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens)
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in osteopathic medicine.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
Physicians must have completed residency training or its equivalent approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs in an accredited core specialty training program leading to eligibility for board certification. Approved residencies are:
(1) Those approved by the accrediting bodies for graduate medical education, the Accreditation Council for the Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) or American Osteopathic Association (AOA), in the list published for the year the residency was completed or
(2) Other residencies or their equivalents which the local Professional Standards Board determines to have provided an applicant with appropriate professional training.
*Reference: *VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
PLEASE NOTE: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements: The work may require extreme patience in controlling one's emotions. The work my require using appropriate technique to physically restrain clients who present a danger to self or others. The work may also require assisting physically disabled clients and may include lifting them.
*Mental/Emotional Requirements: *The incumbent of this position will be expected to Understand, remember, and apply oral and/or written instructions or other information; Understand remember and communicate routing, factual information; Understand complex problems and to collaborate and explore alternative solutions; Organize thoughts and ideas into understandable terminology; Organize and prioritize own work schedule on short-term basis (longer than one month); Apply common sense in performing job; Make decisions which have significant impact on the immediate work unit and monitor impact outside immediate work unit; Make decisions which have significant impact on the department's credibility, operations, and services; Complete routine forms, use existing form letters and/or conduct routine oral communication; Compose letters, outlines, memoranda, and basic reports and/or to orally communicate technical information; Communicate with individuals utilizing a telephone; requires ability to hear and speak effectively on phone; Express or exchange ideas by means of the spoken word, communicating orally with others accurately, loudly, and quickly; Make informal presentations, inside and/or outside the organization. Speaking before groups.
Work Environment:Work is typically performed in a clinical setting that involves everyday risks or discomforts which require safety precautions typical of hospitals, offices and meeting rooms. There my be occasional risk of physical harm that my require special precautions and training. The incumbent will need to understand complex problems and be able to collaborate and explore alternative solutions. The incumbent will understand opposing points of view on highly complex issues and be able to negotiate and integrate different viewpoints.
What To Expect Next
This announcement will be posted until filled.
Resumes/Questionnaires received in USA Staffing in response to this announcement will be maintained in the USA Staffing job file for a period of 3 months. After 3 months applications will be made inactive and applicants must reapply to continue to be considered if the position is still available.
Qualification determinations will be done based on the applicant's resume/questionnaire submitted for the position and a list of qualified candidates will be referred to the Selecting Official every 2 weeks from the opening date of this announcement until the announcement is closed, cancelled or filled.
Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on "Application Status." For a more detailed update of your status, click on "more information." Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides is an overview of the benefits currently offered: http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-choose-va/benefits/index.asp.
Annual leave shall accrue for full-time physicians at the rate of 26 days per leave year (1 day per pay period).
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Salary Range: $100,957.00 to $320,000.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: VM-0602-00/00
Supervisory Status: Yes
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 447527300
Job Announcement Number: RW-16-CT-1775823-OCA