Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Advanced Medical Support Assistant (2nd Shift) in Cleveland, Ohio
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Cleveland, OH
Work Schedule is Full Time - Excepted Service Permanent
Opened Friday 10/7/2016 (12 day(s) ago)
** Closes Friday 10/28/2016 (9 day(s) away)
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 1817527
Our Mission: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans". How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
As a VA professional, your opportunities are endless. With many openings in the multiple functions of VA, you will have a wide range of opportunities at your fingertips. Not only is it the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries.
The Louis Stokes Cleveland VA Medical Center is a 673-bed tertiary healthcare facility which provides care to over 100,000 veterans in northern Ohio. We provide care through our main medical facility at the Wade Park campus, 13 community based outpatient clinics, and 3 vet centers. The medical center has been recognized for more programs of excellence than any other Veterans Affairs Medical Center. These programs of excellence include: Open Heart Surgery, Care of the Seriously Mentally Ill, Geriatric Evaluation and Management, Substance Abuse Care, Spinal Cord Injury Care, Medical Care of the Homeless, Domiciliary Care of the Homeless, Functional Electrical Stimulation, Advance Platform Technology, Primary Care Education, and Patient-Centered Specialty Care Education. We are a teaching hospital providing a full range of patient care services to Veterans with state-of-the art technology as well as medical education and research. Our main campus in Cleveland, Ohio has a full service ER for both general acute care and psychiatric care and a comprehensive reference clinical laboratory. With us, you will find a challenging, yet rewarding career experience.
Note: A Professional Standard Board (a peer-review group) will review the selected candidate's education and experience and recommend the step at which the candidate will be placed in that specific grade. The salary is based on the grade and step approved for the selected candidate.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
The Louis Stokes Cleveland Veterans Affairs Medical Center is recruiting for a Advanced Medical Support Assistant. The Advanced Medical Support Assistant will function within the Patient Transfer Center in Patient Care Administrative Service. The Advanced Medical Support Assistant duties include:
- Determining the nature of calls and either responding appropriately or directing to appropriate resource.
- Acting as a liaison between nursing staff and internal and external customers.
- Handling patient information in accordance with the Privacy Act.
- Processing transfers to other VA facilities or private hospitals.
- Processing patient information (scheduling appointments, admits, discharges, and transfers) timely and accurately utilizing proprietary software.
- Inputting no-show and cancellation information into scheduling software.
- Accurately maintaining and reviewing patients' medical record according to set procedures.
- Providing assistance, support and coverage as assigned during high volume workload or shortage of personnel.
- Effectively communicating with a diverse population of internal and external customers at all levels to achieve desired results.
Work Schedule: Monday through Friday 3:00pm-11:30pm, with rotating holidays and weekends.
Relocation Expenses: Relocation expenses are not authorized for this position.
- Not Required
- U. S. Citizenship.
- Occupational physical may be required.
- English Language Proficiency.
- Designated and/or random drug testing may be required.
- Subject to a background/suitability investigation.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
Specialized Experience GS-06: You must have one year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-05 level in the Federal service. Examples of specialized experience include, but are not limited to: scheduling, canceling, re-scheduling patient's appointments and/or consults; entering no-show information; monitoring a patient scheduling electronic wait list; preparing for clinic visits; monitoring both inpatient and outpatient appointments for areas of responsibility; verifying and updating demographics and insurance information; processing emergency and non-emergency transfers to other hospitals; performing basic eligibility, establishing clinic profiles, co-pays and preauthorization requirements for specific coverage.
References:All qualification standards can be located in VA Handbook 5005/53, Part II, Appendix G45.
In describing your experience, please be clear and specific. We will not make assumptions regarding your experience.
When describing your experience please include your title, duties performed, and dates of employment (month/year).
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Physical Requirements: The physical requirements of this position are concerned with the mental and physical ability of the applicant to satisfactorily perform the duties of the proposed assignment and may include requisite laboratory and other screening as required by Federal regulatory agencies. This position requires light lifting up to 15lbs and the use of fingers.
What To Expect Next
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During our review, if your résumé and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided); otherwise, applicants will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on "Application Status." For a more detailed update of your status, click on "more information." Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center. .
Areas of Consideration Applicants will be considered based on the following areas of consideration.
- First Area of Consideration (facility employees) Current, permanent Louis Stokes Cleveland VA Medical Center (CBOC's included), permanent employees of the Veteran Canteen Service assigned to this facility, Office of Information & Technology employees assigned to this facility, CPAC bargaining unit employees located at the Cleveland VAMC, and Virtual CBOPC bargaining unit employees under station 741 located at the Cleveland VAMC.
- Second Area of Consideration (other VA employees) Current, permanent Department of Veterans Affairs Employees (VA employees who are located at other VA medical centers).
- Third Area of Consideration: Current, permanent employees of other Federal agencies.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides is an overview of the benefits currently offered: http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-choose-va/benefits/index.asp.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
Salary Range: $37,449.00 to $48,682.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0679-06/06
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: Current, Permanent VA Employees and Current, Permanent Employees of Other Federal Agencies
Control Number: 452426500
Job Announcement Number: FZ-17-MR-1817527-BU