Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Advance Practice Provider (Physician Assistant- Primary Care) in Columbia, South Carolina
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
Few vacancies in the following location:
- Columbia, SC
Work Schedule is Full Time - Excepted Service Permanent
Opened Tuesday 10/4/2016 (23 day(s) ago)
** Closes Friday 12/30/2016 (64 day(s) away)
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 1818218 OUR MISSION**: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
This is an open continuous announcement. We will accept applications for this occupation up until the closing date of the vacancy announcement. Applications will be referred as vacancies become available.
As a VA professional, your opportunities are endless. Not only is it the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the Nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries. VA professionals feel good about their careers and their ability to balance work and home life. VA offers generous paid time off and a variety of predictable and flexible scheduling opportunities. For more information on the Department of Veterans Affairs, go to http://www.vacareers.va.gov/.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
The William Jennings Bryan Dorn VA Medical Center is seeking an outstanding physician assistant to join our Primary Care Service team. He/she will function as a member of the interdisciplinary health care team.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Assess the needs and plan intervention for individuals/families;
- Facility the delivery of primary, acute and chronic health care;
- Assists individuals/families to achieve optimal levels of health through collaboration with medical and health care professionals;
- Exercises medical decision-making and provides a broad range of diagnostic and therapeutic services for a specific group of patients;
- Exhibits leadership in initiating changes in patient care programs based on current concepts and findings from research and/or studies;
- Involved in direct patient care, patient and family teaching, staff education and multidisciplinary consultations and collaborations.
- Consistently demonstrates expertise in diagnosing and treating seriously ill multi-symptomatic patients;
- Maintains recognized Physician Assistant Standards of Practice and follows approved scope of practices;
- Serves as a resource person for standards development in health care in the area of quality improvement concerns;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Work Schedule: Monday Friday, 8:00a to 4:30p, with extending hours occasionally on a rotating basis, few times a year. Extended hours are 8:00a to 6:30p on Tuesday and 8:00a to 2:30p on Saturdays with a day off during the week. Subject to change based on agency needs. Advance Practice Provder (Physician Assistant)/544-00995A
- Not Required
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Designated and/or Random Drug Testing required.
- Background and/or Security Investigation required.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Education. The candidate must meet the following: (1) Graduate of a PA training program, or of a surgical assistant program which is accredited by the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) or one of its predecessor organizations; and (2) A Bachelor's degree from an accredited PA training program or in another health sciences related field from an accredited college or university recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
- Certification: (1) Current and continuous certification by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA) is required for employment in VHA. (2) Recent PA graduates who are eligible to take the Physician Assistant National Certifying Examination (PANCE) may be employed by VA on a temporary basis (38 U.S.C. 7405), for a period not to exceed two years, as provided in VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Chapter 3, Section G, Paragraph 5. (3) If a PA's NCCPA certification is suspended, revoked or expires, the PA must be removed from the occupation which may result in termination of employment.
- English Language Proficiency. PAs appointed to direct patient-care positions must be proficient in spoken and written English.
Preferred Experience: Primay Care, Family Practice.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Reference: VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G8, Physician Assistant Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements: Moderate lifting (15-44 pounds); straight pulling (4 hours); pushing (4 hours); reaching above shoulders; use of fingers; both hands required; walking (2 hours); standing (7 hours); kneeling (1 hour); repeating bending (4 hours); both legs required; near vision correctable to 13" to 16" to Jaeger 1 to 4; far vision correctable in one eye to 20/50 and to 20/100 in the other; ability to distinguish basic colors; hearing (aid permitted); mental and emotional stability.
What To Expect Next
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During our review, if your résumé and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email provided. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on "Application Status." For a more detailed update of your status, click on "more information." Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides an overview of the benefits currently offered: http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-choose-va/benefits/index.asp.
Receiving Service Credit for Earning Annual (Vacation) Leave: Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
Salary Range: $48,968.00 to $109,781.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: VN-0603-00/00
Promotion Potential: 00
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 452495400
Job Announcement Number: OE-17-TMH-1818218-BU