U.S. Army Medical Command Medical Technician in Columbus, Georgia
U.S. Army Medical Command
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Columbus, GA
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Tuesday 10/18/2016 (2 day(s) ago)
** Closes Monday 10/24/2016 (4 day(s) away)
Civilian employees serve a vital role in supporting the Army mission. They provide the skills that are not readily available in the military, but crucial to support military operations. The Army integrates the talents and skills of its military and civilian members to form a Total Army.
About the Position:
This position is being filled under the Expedited Hiring Authority for Shortage Category and/or Critical Need Health Care Occupations.
About the Position:
This position is located at the Martin Army Community Hospital, North Columbus Medical Home Facility.
Martin Army Community Hospital was opened in 1958 and is named in honor of the late Major General Joseph I. Martin, Medical Corps. Fort Benning's MEDDAC, a major subordinate command of the U.S. Army Medical Command, furnishes medical care to an eligible patient population in excess of 72,000 beneficiaries. Its primary facility is Martin Army Community Hospital (MACH), Building 9250, conveniently located off I-185 and Marne Road. On 20 October 2012, Martin Army Community Hospital, Ft. Benning, Georgia was surveyed and found to meet the requirements for the hospital accreditation program by The Joint Commission.
Fort Benning is located in the "Tri-Community" comprised of Columbus, GA; Ft. Benning, GA; and Phenix City, AL. Columbus (third-largest city in Georgia) is a growing community of 250,000. Besides being the home of the Best Army Installation in the World, Columbus houses the corporate headquarters of many leading companies. The stunning Florida gulf shores and Blue Ridge Mountains are only a few hours' drive. For more information, please visit http://www.benning.army.mil/
Who May Apply: All U.S. Citizens
- Perform diagnostic immunology test to collects data for patient records.
- Collect blood cultures from patients to identify parasites.
- Evaluate urine chemistries manually and/or automated to update medical records.
- Set up computerized equipment based on the type of analysis to be performed.
- Perform phlebotomy on individuals to collect specimens using the needles or syringe
- Identify the proper type of anticoagulants and amount of blood to be collected.
- Perform urine microscopy to identify cast material and various types of cellular material.
- Collect urine samples for chemical analysis such as acetone, cell counts and/or protein.
- Not Required
- All U.S. Citizens
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Experience required: Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. To qualify based on your experience, your resume must describe at least one year of experience which prepared you to do the work in this job. Specialized experience is defined as: (a) Technical medical laboratory support work such as performing laboratory tests and examinations (chemical, microbiologic, hematologic and blood banking) and preparing reports of findings or (b) technical support work in a closely related field, e.g., biological laboratory technician work that required application of the methods and techniques for the position to be filled.
This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service GS-06.
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you may qualify if your education meets the definitions below:
TO MEET OPM Substitution for Specialized Experience for GS-07: Successful completion of at least one year of graduate level education or held an internship where it is directly related to the work of the position.
Combination of Experience and Education Substitution for Specialized Experience for GS-07: If you have some but not all of the experience or education described above, you may still qualify by combining the amount of creditable experience and education that you do have. To do so, compute the percentage of your requirements met, the sum of which must equal at least 100%. (To compute the percentage, divide your total months of qualifying experience by 12. Then divide your semester hours of graduate education by 9. Add the two percentages.
You will be evaluated on the basis of your level of competency (knowledge, skills, abilities) in the following areas:
- Skill in Clinical Microbiology Testing
- Knowledge of Urinalysis Test Procedures
- Skill in Utilizing Laboratory Equipment
- Knowledge of Laboratory Procedures
Foreign education must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency in order to be considered for this position. You must include this information with your application package.
Only degrees from an accredited college or university recognized by the Department of Education are acceptable to meet positive education requirements or to substitute for experience. For additional information, please go to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and U.S. Department of Education websites at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications and http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html
Other Requirements: Click here for expanded definitions.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- Two year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
- Personnel Security Investigation required.
- This position is subject to annual seasonal influenza vaccinations. Applicants tentatively selected forappointment to this position will be required to sign a statement (Condition of Employment) consenting to seasonal influenza vaccinations or must provide a recognized exemption.
- This position is a Testing Designated Position (TDP) subject to applicant testing and random drug testing. Tentatively selected applicants will be required to sign DA Form 5019 requiring participation in random drug urinalysis testing. A job offer to an applicant who is a not a current employee will be withdrawn if the applicant refuses to be tested. Applicants with verified positive test results shall be refused employment. Applications from such individuals shall not be considered for employment for a period of 6 months from the date of the test results.
- Successful completion of a pre-placement medical examination is required.
- Immunization screening is required. Hepatitis B immunization is required for all positions with direct patient contact. Applicants may be required to show proof of other immunizations depending on the type of position.
- Career Program (CP) 53
What To Expect Next
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application. Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
The documents you submit must support your responses to the online questionnaire. If your application contradicts or does not support your questionnaire responses, you will receive a rating of "not qualified" or "incomplete application" and you will not receive further consideration for this job.
The Department of Defense offers an excellent benefits program.In addition to your take-home pay, your comprehensive compensation/benefits package will include most of the benefits described in the USAJOBS Resource Center.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitantinformation sheet.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
Salary Range: $40,033.00 to $52,043.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0645-07/07
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 453456000
Job Announcement Number: SCEA166973271825481EM