Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Physician (Pulmonologist) in Corpus Christi, Texas
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Corpus Christi, TX
Work Schedule is Full Time - Excepted Service Permanent
Opened Monday 12/14/2015 (318 day(s) ago)
** Closes Wednesday 12/14/2016 (48 day(s) away)
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 1578272
OUR MISSION:To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans.**
VA TEXAS VALLEY COASTAL BEND HEALTH CARE SYSTEM The VATVCBHCS is comprised of the Corpus Christi Outpatient Clinic (CCOPC), Corpus Christi Specialty Clinic (CCSC), Harlingen Outpatient Clinic (HOPC), Health Care Center at Harlingen (HCC), Laredo Outpatient Clinic (LOPC), and McAllen Outpatient Clinic (MCOPC). The VATVCBHCS is an ambulatory health care system providing health care in medicine, surgery, psychiatry, and rehabilitation medicine. The VATVCBHCS also operates a 100-patient Home Based Primary Care program and a 200-patient Care Coordination Home Tele-Health Program. Through the utilization of inpatient/emergency department contracts, approximately 2600 inpatient admission and 5800 ER visits are managed by VATVCBHCS. Affiliated with the University of Texas Regional Academic Health Campus, the system has an active ambulatory care program and serves as a teaching and training site for medical residents. The VATVCBHCS is responsible for an enrollee population of over 30,000 veterans and 350,000 outpatient visits annually.
* Recruitment/Relocation Incentives may be authorized for highly qualified candidates.*
This is an open-continuous announcement. We will accept applications on an on-going basis until the position is filled. Eligible and qualified applicants will be referred to the selecting official at scheduled intervals.
The applicant(s) selected for this position may be eligible to apply for an award under the provisions of the Education Debt Reduction Program (EDRP) provided the applicant has qualifying loans and subject to the availability of funds. For further information regarding this program, you man contact the Human Resources Management Service.
* Bargaining Position *
You will serve as a Pulmonologist for the VA Texas Valley Coastal Bend Health Care System (VATVCBHCS). You will be responsible for patient care, patient/family education, and participation in any indicated clinical research in pulmonary medicine. You will provide comprehensive care for patients who have illnesses within the scope of pulmonary medicine/sleep spectrum as noted in privileges granted. The scope of these activities covers all phases of ambulatory care. As a Pulmonologist, you must have the ability to make the determination to admit to acute inpatient care through referral to an inpatient team and then follow the course of inpatient care (electronic record review and communications with inpatient team). Other duties include education of medical students and residents and/or supervision of other providers. You will respond to and complete consults received for the evaluation of pulmonary medicine, including:
- Occupational and environmental lung diseases prevention, evaluation and management of;
- Genetic/developmental disorders of respiratory system, evaluation and management;
- Pulmonary function testing, supervise technical aspects, interpret;
- Write prescriptions for medications or other items per formulary and nonformulary;
- Consult with disciplines, as necessary, to complete the patient evaluation;
- Carry out health promotion and disease prevention activities including education and shared decision-making;
- Evaluate and treat sleep disorders;
- Participate in tele medicine.
Work Schedule: FULL-TIME (May be required to work evenings or weekends as a 24/7 Full-Time Physician)
Functional Statement Title/#: Physician (Pulmonology)
- Board certified or board eligible in Internal Medicine with subspecialty training in Pulmonary Medicine
- Occasional Travel
- Within and outside the health care system
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Designated and/or Random Drug Testing required.
- Background and/or Security Investigation required.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
Basic Requirements*: *
- Citizenship of the United States. Noncitizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with Department of Veterans Affairs policy.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Completion of a first-year residency, or its equivalent, approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which it was completed.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Physical requirements outlined below.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Reference:VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard.* *This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Note*:* Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements: Moderate Lifting (15-44 lbs); Moderate Carrying (15-44 lbs); Straight Pulling (up to 2-3 hours); Pushing (up to 2-3 hours); Reaching above shoulder; Walking (up to 2-3 hours); Standing (up to 6-8 hours); Kneeling (up to 2-3 hours); Repeated bending (up to 4-6 hours); Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; Near vision correctable; Far vision correctable; Depth perception; Ability to distinguish basic colors; Hearing (aid permitted).
What To Expect Next
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During our review, if your résumé and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided); otherwise, applicants will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on Application Status. For a more detailed update of your status, click on more information. Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides an overview of the benefits associated with a VA practice:VHA physician brochure*.*
Annual leave shall accrue for full-time physicians at the rate of 26 days per leave year (1 day per pay period).
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
* The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.*
Salary Range: $100,957.00 to $240,000.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: VM-0602-00/00
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
Control Number: 424013400
Job Announcement Number: VCB-16-JG-1578272-4CA-OCA