Kratos Technology & Training Solutions Principal Systems Engineer - Surface Ship Combat Systems (Contingent) in Dahlgren, Virginia
The candidate will lead in team in combat system systems engineering trades and analyses for future Naval Surface Combat and Warfare Systems definition and design, as well as current Naval Surface Combat and Warfare System Operations. Systems engineering efforts by the team will encompass any of the following disciplines: architecture engineering/development, requirements engineering/management, total ship systems engineering, element design, design integration, ship integration, technical assessments, interoperability assessment, certification, and advanced design development. Additionally, the candidate will lead a team to provide systems engineering support in the mission areas of Integrated Air & Missile Defense (IAMD), Dominance & Ballistic Missile Defense (BMD), Surface Dominance, Navy Fires/Land Attack, Maritime Dominance, Undersea Dominance, combat systems cyber security and C4ISR. This support will be in all applicable ship and mission system areas.
Duties and Responsibilities will include:
The candidate will:
- Support for systems engineering will be in all applicable warfare mission areas and to both new construction and in-service ships. This support will be for the full acquisition life-cycle, including all technical processes and technical management processes defined in Defense Acquisition Guidebook (DAG), and encompass derivation of operational need to delivery of capability. This support will also include the review and development of engineering change proposals, ship change documents, interface change requests, design specification changes, inputs into interface specifications, and fleet advisories. Will include participation with prime developers in their software development process, whether that is waterfall, agile, spiral, or another development methodology.
- Evaluate and provide comments/recommendations to combat system requirements and interfaces to translate into requirements and design for modeling and simulation systems and virtualized environments.
- In support of ship integration efforts, the candidate will perform a technical review and provide comments/recommendations of Technical Data Packages, Installation Control Drawings, Ship Installation Drawings, Letters of Authorization, Ship Change Documents (SCDs), as well as other ship integration documentation.
- Perform or participate in ship checks and provide report of findings (CDRL A004).
- Use AutoCAD to support the development of notional space arrangement plan views, elevation views, and cable block diagrams.
- Provide on-site installation support for systems and equipment being installed aboard ship and provide report of accomplishments/findings (CDRL A004). This work includes modernization upgrades, in-service upgrades, new baseline engineering, and providing detailed analysis and reports (CDRL A001) for future installations.
- Work to support the technical team, utilizing mission and operational knowledge and context, to evaluate designs, identify technical issues and associated recommendations, and to conduct engineering performance studies and analyses on combat system improvements to new systems, or of existing systems throughout the systems engineering process (end to end).
- Perform engineering review and critique of combat system proposals and efforts, identifying engineering shortfalls, key trade requirements, additional option considerations, and general assessments of concepts/ideas and methodologies being pursued. Work across the entire organization or program to gather and assess information relative to the ability of the combat system to meet its intended need. Participate in combat system test events, including preparation, execution, and report generation.
- Participate as a team member in formal and informal combat system design reviews or other tailored program-specific reviews and provide meeting minutes. This participation will also include Mission Readiness Assessments (MRAs), and Combat System Certification Panels (CSCPs). Review and analyze specifications and other documentation, generate and submit comments, and participate in comment adjudication with the developer. Participate in the prime developers engineering process and reviews, including Agile engineering reviews. Engineering review and assessments performed by the contractor can be leveraged and made into OQE for inclusion by a core certification integrated product team.
Experience and Skills:
- Accreditation Board of Engineering and Technology (ABET) Accredited Master of Science (MS) Degree from ABET recognized engineering curriculum. Examples include: Mechanical Engineering (ME) / Electrical Engineering (EE) / Industrial Engineering (IE) / Computer Science and Engineering (CSE)
MS Degree in physical science, engineering, or mathematics that includes 24 semester hours in physical science and/or related engineering science such as mechanics, dynamics, properties of materials, and electronics. Examples:
i) Applied Math
ii) Applied Physics
iii) Operational Research
iv) Modeling and Simulation
vi) Computer Science vii) Naval Architecture
- Fifteen (15) years of general Surface Navy Combat Systems engineering experience with at least ten (10) years of specialized experience with emphasis in one or more of the following:
a) Combat Systems Cyber Security
b) Ships Self Defense System
c) Littoral Combat Ship (LCS) class frigate
d) AEGIS Integrated Combat Systems
e) DDG-1000 Zumwalt class destroyer
f) Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense
g) Weapon/Sensor Combat Systems Experience
Must have the following:
- Active DoD Secret Clearance
- Must be a U.S. Citizen
Job Tracking ID: 85347-230700
Location: Dahlgren, VA
Job Type: Full-Time/Regular
Date Updated: September 19, 2016
Job Level: Mid Career (2+ years)
Number of Openings: 2
Years of Experience: More than 5 Years
Level of Education: BA/BS
Starting Date: ASAP