BTD BTD_CI Leader in Dawsonville, Georgia
Description Company Overview: BTD is a fast growing metalworking company. We provide custom metalwork services for some of the world’s top brands. Our 800+ employees work from five facilities throughout the Midwest. We invest in our people, our equipment, and our facilities to offer our clients the best value possible. We are also a wholly-owned subsidiary of Otter Tail Corporation, a publicly traded company on NASDAQ.
Summary: Leads the Continuous Improvement effort at a BTD manufacturing site, supporting the site’s Director of Operations. Takes the lead role in the implementation and sustained use of lean methods and tools to bring about improved efficiency and business success. Directly supervises Manufacturing Engineers.
Requirements Safety is # 1 At BTD: Our expectation is that every employee: 1) Strictly follows safety policies, rules and safe work methods. 2) Promptly corrects or reports safety hazards or unsafe conditions. Promptly reports injuries for prompt diagnosis and treatment. 3) Makes regular suggestions for safety process improvements to support continuous improvement in safety. Actively participates in a safety process or project such as the safety committee, safety inspections, etc.
- Supports the Site Director of Operations in achieving site objectives for safety, quality, delivery, productivity, and continuous improvement.
- With the Site Director of Operations and BTD Director of Continuous Improvement, selects Kaizen events to improve plant metrics and drive positive bottom line impact.
- Tracks and reports on metrics to show the results of continuous improvement events, activities, and efforts.
- Coordinates, coaches, and mentors up to three kaizen events monthly.
- Facilitates a lean / kaizen event at least bi-monthly (every other month).
- Leads, manages, and develops direct reports (Manufacturing Engineers).
- Supervises the Manufacturing Engineers’ execution of First Run Capability assessments and development of Standard Work Instructions.
- Oversees engineering support to Sales and the customer in developing and improving products and manufacturing processes within the scope of company’s capabilities.
- Leads or participates in root cause identification and corrective actions to resolve issues involving noncompliant material, process, or product.
- Recommends and assists in the development of solid, useful leading and lagging metrics to monitor the successful implementation of lean/continuous improvements.
- Works cooperatively with Varistar in ensuring that BTD is following the overall direction intended for lean.
- Uses software programs to enter time/payroll information, job information, etc.
- Must be able to work off-shift and travel as needed to corporate and operational offices.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills & Abilities: B.S. degree in business, scientific or technical field required; Advance degree preferred; Minimum 5 years experience operating in a Continuous Improvement program in a manufacturing setting; Demonstrated knowledge of lean concepts and principles; Understanding of ISO or TS16949. Must possess a valid Driver’s License. Previous supervision of direct reports preferred.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS REQUIRED
At least five years of recent manufacturing experience which include the following skills and abilities: 1. Strong problem-solving skills with the ability both to lead and work collaboratively within a matrix organization. 2. Ability to plan, organize, coordinate and direct activities in an efficient and effective manner. 3. Thorough, demonstrated knowledge of lean concepts and principles. 4. Three to five years of experience implementing lean preferred. 5. Exhibited a process thinking approach. 6. Understanding of ISO or other business process systems. 7. Demonstrated ability to see across functional boundaries, to see the whole business picture or enterprise. 8. Exceptional communication skills written, verbal and listening. Can be utilized to train others within the organization. 9. Ability to interact effectively with all levels of the organization including executive team. 10. Introduces new thoughts, ideas and methods to drive business success. 11. Works independently and shows strong initiative and ownership of ideas and projects. 12. Provides suggestions, ideas for on-going improvement of current processes. 13. Desire for achievement or distinction within BTD and a willingness to strive for its attainment. 14. Strong computer skills and experience. 15. Ability to manage projects and work effectively in a team environment.
The qualifications listed above are guidelines. Other combinations of education and experience could provide the necessary knowledge, skills and abilities to perform this job.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of the job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of the job, the employee may be exposed to weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Requisition Number: 16-0322
Company: BTD Manufacturing, Inc.
Post Date: 8/2/2016
Title: BTD_CI Leader