Southern Company Gasification Team Leader - Kemper in DeKalb, Mississippi
Gasification Team Leader - Kemper
This position provides leadership for plant operations (in charge of the plant at night, on week-ends and holidays), coordination of daily maintenance activities, and fuel delivery activities. This position is accountable for supervising overall plant operations to achieve maximum availability, efficiency and longevity of the generating units and its supportive equipment and to assure that generation is available to meet system requirements in a safe and economical manner. This position provides leadership to the operating crews to maximize plant reliability and efficiency while complying with all safety, regulatory and environmental requirements. This position will provide coaching through performance management for each member of the team, seeking to develop the employees’ skills for future opportunities. This position provides input to the Plant Leadership Team concerning potential work method, process, or equipment improvements that would contribute to the success of the Plant.
This unit is an Integrated Gasification Combine Cycle and is very different from any other plant within Southern Company; it will require considerable personal commitment to development a world class operations team.
· Comprehensive knowledge of integrated Gasification Combine Cycle operations and plant systems.
· At least five years of e xperience as a Plant Control Operator in the operation of combine cycle or five years petro-chemical operation is required.
· K nowledgeable of company policies and procedures in the areas of safety, operations, equipment, timekeeping, payroll and other administration along with a thorough understanding of a collective agreement is required.
· Two years team leader / supervisor experience with performance management experience in power generation or petro-chemical is required.
· A bility to analyze critical situations, determine competent solutions and supervise the implementation of the solutions in a safe and effective manner.
· Ability to e f fectively communicate both orally and in writing.
· Formal related education, extensive power plant experience, or petro-chemical is required.
· Working knowledge of Capital and O&M Budget processes is preferred.
· Must possess a good working knowledge of the switchyard and switching procedures is required.
· Must have a good working knowledge of LOTO, Confined space, Permit to work, and Hot Work is required.
· Knowledge of the 4 week planning process, Maximo / Primavera preferred.
· Emergency Response (fire brigade, recue, HazMat, ect) participation is required.
· Ability to s erve as incident commander during emergency situations is required.
· Responsible for the day-to-day operation of all power plant equipment to maximize plant reliability and efficiency and for ensuring the plant is operated in compliance with all safety, regulatory and environmental requirements.
· Responsible to keep the plant leadership, team leaders and control center informed of equipment condition, which may affect plant operation.
· Serve as the individual responsible for all aspects of plant operation at all times.
· Responsible for serving as Incident Commander during emergencies, knowing and carrying out all emergency plans such as Emergency Action Plan, Oil Spill Response Plan and Hazardous Spill Response Plan and coordinating these team efforts and assuring the safety of all plant personnel.
· Responsible for outage planning with the maintenance department and coordinating the work activities of the operations department.
· Primary contact for coordinating daily operations, substation, transmission, and fleet operations.
· Responsible for effective performance-management of his/her crew including providing training, setting goals, giving feedback and coaching.
· Coordinate operations activities with plant maintenance, fuel delivery, system control center, and other stake holders keeping them appraised as to the status and significant problem areas throughout the day as circumstances dictate their support.
· Analytical Skills necessary to determine current and future operating conditions and trends for optimizing plant performance.
Role Model for Southern Company Behaviors :
Southern Style :
· Unquestionable Trust
· Superior Performance
· Total Commitment
Principle Centered Leadership (Covey's 7 Habits of Highly Effective People) :
Begin with the End in Mind
Put First Things First
Seek First to Understand, Then to be Understood
Sharpen the Saw
Target Zero : Every Day, Every Job, Safely – Our core belief is that all accidents and incidents are preventable and the goal is zero accidents and incidents .
With more than 4.5 million customers and approximately 46,000 megawatts of generating capacity, Atlanta-based Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is the premier energy company serving the Southeast through its subsidiaries. A leading U.S. producer of clean, safe, reliable and affordable electricity, Southern Company owns electric utilities in four states and a growing competitive generation company, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications. Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America’s energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including nuclear, 21 st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a 2014 Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The Company earned the 2014 National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development, and is continually ranked among the top utilities in fortune's annual World ’ s Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at www.southerncompany.com at http://www.southerncompany.com/ .
Job Level: Manager
Primary Location: Mississippi-Kemper County-DeKalb
Operating Company: Mississippi Power Company
Travel (Up to...): No
Kemper County plant-5835 Highway 493 (5835DeKalb)
5835 Highway 493
DeKalb , 39328
Req ID: MPC2001435