General Motors Counsel – Emissions & Regulatory - LEG0000660 in Detroit, Michigan
The Legal Department of General Motors seeks anexceptional legal practitioner with excellent judgment, solid character, andpersonal integrity as an Emissions and Regulatory Counsel. This role providescritical advice and counsel on mobile emissions and fuel economy matters, andreports to the manager of the Emissions and Regulatorygroup.
In this position, you’ll be a key business partner contributingto GM’s success by combining both legal and business expertise andunderstanding GM’s operations and strategic goals.
You must be a mature attorney who can provide abig-picture perspective while maintaining a hands on role. You’ll manage multipleprojects simultaneously and work effectively across internal functions andbusinesses.
We’re located at GM’s Global Headquarters in Detroit,Michigan, a city in the midst of transformation fueled by innovation andopportunity. We provide competitive benefits, compensation, and relocation toDetroit.
Specific responsibilities for this role include:
- Advise GMengineers, technical staff, government relations/public policy staff, andmanagement on mobile source laws and regulations, including but not limited toTitle II of the Clean Air Act, and the Corporate Average Fuel Economy standardsof the Energy Policy and Conservation Act, as amended;
- Represent GMbefore federal and state authorities, agencies, administrative tribunals, andcourts in environmental and regulatory matters;
- Work closelywith clients on compliance and strategy committees;
- Reviewproposed laws and regulations, and assist in GM/industry comments and lobbyingefforts;
- Support GMparticipation in trade association matters; and
- Draft,review, and negotiate legal agreements.
- Law degree and strong academic record from areputable law school.
- Activelicense to practice law in Michigan or at least one other US jurisdiction, and(if not admitted in Michigan) the ability to qualify for in-house practice inMichigan.
- Aminimum of five years of legal experience in a reputable law firm, government agency,or corporate law department as an environmental attorney.
- Significantexperience handling environmental matters under a broad range of federal andstate legal requirements applicable to a major original equipment manufacturerin the automotive industry is ideal.
- Experience with mobile emissions and fuel economystandards matters under Title II of the Clean Air Act is preferred.
Candidatesmust also possess—
Good judgment, initiative, andresourcefulness;
- Ability to make decisions withinthe scope of assigned authority;
- High level of interpersonalorganizational skills;
- High level of problem solving andanalytical skills;
- High level of oral and writtencommunication skills;
- Demonstrated leadershipabilities, including team management;
- Demonstrated ability to manageoutside counsel and budgets;
- Demonstrated level of creativityand ability to plan and execute special projects;
- Ability to work bothindependently, with minimal supervision, as well as in a team environment;
- Ability to handle multiple taskssimultaneously, efficiently, and in a timely manner; and
- Ability to use MS Word, PowerPoint and Excel.
Thepolicy of General Motors is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants andemployees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's age, race, color,sex, religion, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, genderidentity/expression or veteran status. Additionally, General Motors iscommitted to being an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and offersopportunities to all job seekers including individuals with disabilities. Ifyou need a reasonable accommodation to assist with your job search orapplication for employment, email us at Careers.Accommodations@GM.com. In youremail, please include a description of the specific accommodation you arerequesting as well as the job title and requisition number of the position forwhich you are applying.
This position requiresthe ability to legally operate a motor vehicle on a regular basis.