Midwestern University Network Specialist - Audio Visual (AV) in Downers Grove, Illinois
The Network Specialist- Audio Visual will serve as a primary point of contact for the design, implementation, training and support of network technologies utilized at Midwestern University as they relate to audio visual (AV), video, and photography. This individual will be responsible for the deployment and management of AV focused networks and infrastructure. The Network Specialist - Audio Visual reports to the Assistant Director of Information Technology Services and will work closely with the Media Resources department, all constituencies of the University, as well as external partners and vendors. The ideal candidate will demonstrate strong experience and education in the areas of both technology infrastructure and enterprise AV solutions for mid-size and large organizations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in the planning, design, installation and support of systems and network infrastructure as it relates to video, classroom presentation, broadcast, distance learning,and video conferencing systems on all university campuses. Systems may include Crestron, Extron, Biamp, Polycom, Sony, and other related technologies.
- Lead assigned IT/AV projects in accordance with project management best practices. Develop identified project opportunities, helping to deliver leading-edge, technology-based IT/AV solutions.
- Implement programming and commissioning of advanced integrated and interactive communication solutions.
- Collaborate with network specialists and AV coordinators to troubleshoot and repair classroom, lab, conference, and lecture hall AV systems and components when AV networks are involved.
- Provide technical support and training to internal and external customers, giving clear and calm direction as needs arise. Perform troubleshooting of AV networking systems independently or as part of a group. Team collaboration required.
- Develop and manage AV focused networks and server infrastructure.
- Develop and manage change control process for mission critical technology infrastructure as they pertain to AV, photography, and video (e.g. Cumulus; Sony backbone & central recording; video RAID; media storage.) Schedule and perform maintenance on these systems.
- Build comprehensive system monitoring networks with integrated data collection and metric evaluation.
- Exhibit excellent oral and written communication skills and strong organizational skills while working in fast-paced environments.
- Demonstrate ability to follow detailed procedures and execute instructions accurately.
- Be dependable and a self-motivator, and able to work under supervised and unsupervised scenarios.
- Contribute to the success of the team, often working in a group setting to meet shared goals.
Education and/or Experience:
BS or BA degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or a related area required. 2-4 years of related experience required. Experience with LAN and WAN networking protocols and devices, including switches, routers, and wireless access points. Certifications in related fields (e.g. Crestron, InfoComm CTS-x, CompTIA, etc.) preferred. Experience in AV design, video production or related field preferred. Experience in healthcare or educational field preferred. Successful candidate will have good working knowledge of networked AV control system and components. Successful candidate will also have good working knowledge of Blackboard, Kaltura, Digital Asset Management Systems, Videoconferencing, and Microsoft Office products. Knowledge of Cumulus, Lenel, Axis, Polycom, and Sony asset and control systems is a plus.
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Mathematical Skills:* *
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as proportions, percentages, area, and volume.
Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to talk or hear and sit. The employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel or crawl. The employee will regularly lift up to 20 pounds and occasionally lift up to 40 pounds. Vision must be correctable to 20/20 in one hear, hearing correctable to normal.
*Work Environment: *
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. This individual is occasionally exposed to outdoor weather conditions and risk of electric shock.
Midwestern University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not discriminate against an employee or applicant based upon race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability, or veterans status, in accord with 41 C.F.R. 60-1.4(a), 250.5(a), 300.5(a) and 741.5(a).
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
Bachelors or better
2-4 years of related networking or AV experience required.
Posted: August 20, 2016