Midwestern University Research Faculty - Assistant Professor - IL - CDMI in Downers Grove, Illinois
The Full-time Research Faculty will take a lead role in developing and fostering research endeavors among the faculty and students at CDMI. The faculty member will participate in the pre-doctoral dental program, mentor faculty members and dental students in their research endeavors, and conduct an active research program. It is expected that the selected candidate will also establish an externally funded research program in educational, basic science or clinical research. The faculty member will be responsible for application of expertise in innovative ways that benefit collaborators from the campus, the community and improves research productivity. All faculty at CDMI are expected to participate in the teaching mission of Midwestern University, to participate in scholarly activity and to demonstrate commitment to service in the larger community.
The Full-time Research Faculty reports directly to the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs.
The Full-time Research Faculty interacts significantly with the Associate Dean for Preclinical Education and the Assistant Dean for Clinical Education. Additionally, the Full-time Research Faculty must interact and communicate effectively with faculty (within the CDMI as well as other MWU colleges), staff and students.
Essential Job Functions
The following job functions are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position. The Full-time Research Faculty performs some or all of the following functions, which will be prioritized and continue to evolve depending on the career direction of the Full-time Research Faculty and the mutual goals of that individual, CDMI and the University.
The Full-time Research Faculty performs the following functions:
- Assume a lead role in developing and fostering research endeavors among the faculty and students at CDMI
- Establish and maintain a robust, externally funded, nationally recognized research program in the area of educational, basic science or clinical research
- Assist in the recruitment, training and calibration of full-time faculty
- Collaborate with faculty and staff for research study planning, data management, statistical analysis, and reporting of study findings
- Prepare scientific research reports and manuscripts for publication in peer-review scientific journals.
- Present scientific results of research studies internally at MWU research seminars and externally at professional scientific meetings and meetings with industry or government sponsors.
- Serve on the CDMI Research Committee and other MWU committees as needed.
- Collaborate with other faculty in the CDMI and all other MWU colleges, and develop collaborations with other institutions in the greater Chicago area.
- Model and ensure professional behavior
- Maintain a positive image as a representative of Midwestern University College of Dental Medicine-Illinois.**
- The Full-time Faculty-Specialist should possess the following skills and attributes:
- Excellent critical thinking, writing, and grantsmanship skills
- Exceptional organizational and time managements skills to execute goals and meet deadlines
- Effective time management, project management and coordination skills
- Interpersonal skills, including active listening, the ability to clearly and respectfully communicate with others, and the ability to lead and collaborate with diverse and dynamic teams
- Student focus, demonstrated by the ability to work with students in a positive and professional manner.
- Ability to mentor and teach students, individually and in groups, taking into account individual learning styles, level of experience and prior knowledge.
- Cultural competence, demonstrated by interacting effectively with individuals from a variety of cultures with recognition of their cultural norms.
- Collegiality, demonstrated by being a team player and showing respect for faculty, staff and students
- Receptiveness to feedback, willingness to learn and continuously improve
- Computer skills, including Excel, Word, PowerPoint and SPSS
The Full-time Research Faculty will participate in University and College committees as determined appropriate by the Dean.
Qualifications & Skills Required
Candidates must possess a Ph.D. or equivalent degree and an established record of extramural funding with quality scholarly and research productivity in the field of craniofacial, oral, dental, and/or related research. Preference will be given to candidates with a D.D.S./D.M.D. degree.
The successful candidate will be an individual with excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to engage newer, clinical faculty in the realm of dental research.
Performance is evaluated on an annual basis with an emphasis on career development, following the established institutional standards of Midwestern University.
*“Midwestern University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not discriminate against an employee or applicant based upon race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability, or veterans status, in accord with 41 C.F.R. 60-1.4(a), 250.5(a), 300.5(a) and 741.5(a).” *
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
Doctorate or better
Posted: April 16, 2016