U.S. Army Medical Command Industrial Hygienist in Dugway Proving Ground, Utah
U.S. Army Medical Command
2 vacancies in the following locations:
- Dugway Proving Ground, UT
- Tooele Army Depot, UT
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Tuesday 10/18/2016 (2 day(s) ago)
** Closes Tuesday 11/1/2016 (12 day(s) away)
Civilian employees serve a vital role in supporting the Army mission. They provide the skills that are not readily available in the military, but crucial to support military operations. The Army integrates the talents and skills of its military and civilian members to form a Total Army.
This position is being filled under the Expedited Hiring Authority for Shortage Category and/or Critical Need Health Care Occupations.
About the Position:
These positions are located at Dugway Proving Ground and Tooele Army Depot. Dugway is a remote & isolated installation approximately 50 minutes from Tooele, Utah and 90 minutes drive from Salt Lake City, Utah. Dugway has a highly professional workforce providing support to an array of missions and organizations. Tooele Army Depot is located approximately 45 miles West of Salt Lake City, Utah. The Depot is in Tooele County and surrounded by the communities of Tooele, Grantsville, Stockton, and Rush Valley. The area surrounding the depot is as an urban center for a highly varied and productive agriculture industry. The depot is 42,974 acres and currently serves the missions of conventional ammunition storage, maintenance, demilitarization, and ammunition peculiar equipment. Employees choosing to live off post may use subsidized commuter van transport which operates to and from many of the major cities and towns throughout Utah. Within a day's drive are Utah's five national parks and many other attractions.
Who May Apply: U.S. Citizens
As an Industrial Hygienist you will:
- Plan and conduct complete evaluations of work operations involving potentially hazardous environmental conditions, analyze findings, and recommend corrective measures and controls.
- Evaluations may include health hazards resulting from inhalation of vapors, fumes, mists, gases, and dusts, or from skin contact; and from physical hazards, such as noise, heat or pressure above and below normal atmospheric.
- Conduct regular on-site surveys and investigations of all work areas to determine the nature and severity of health hazards present.
- Use direct-reading equipment and standard chemical and physiological sampling techniques and procedures to accumulate information and material required for laboratory analysis and evaluation.
- Occasional Travel
- 5% for training
- Permanent change of station (PCS)/Relocation incentives may be paid if a move is determined to be in the interest of the Government
In order to qualify, you must meet the education and/or experience requirements described below. Your resume must clearly describe your relevant experience; if qualifying based on education, your transcripts will be required as part of your application. Additional information about transcripts is in this document.
Degree: A. Successful completion of a standard 4-year professional curriculum leading to a bachelors degree in industrial hygiene; or a branch of engineering, physical science, or life science that included 12 semester hours in chemistry, including organic chemistry, and 18 additional semester hours of courses in any combination of chemistry, physics, engineering, health physics, environmental health, biostatistics, biology, physiology, toxicology, epidemiology, or industrial hygiene. Courses in the history or teaching of chemistry are not acceptable.
B. Combination of education and experience -- at least 12 semester hours of course work in chemistry, including organic chemistry, and 18 additional semester hours as specified in A above, plus appropriate experience or additional education.
Experience required: Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience. To qualify based on your experience, your resume must describe at least one year of experience which prepared you to do the work in this job. Specialized experience is defined as: Experience performing relatively routine industrial investigations or portions of large and complex investigations; identifying and evaluating occupational health hazards found in industrial operations where processes are of a conventional nature and literature on the hazards is readily available; and recommending control measures or possible approaches to the control of harmful exposure. This definition of specialized experience is typical of work performed at the next lower grade/level position in the federal service (GS-09).
Some federal jobs allow you to substitute your education for the required experience in order to qualify. For this job, you may qualify if your education meets the definitions below: Education Substitution for Specialized Experience for GS-11: Possession of a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree or at least three (3) years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree from an accredited college or university in industrial hygiene or related field. Combination of Experience and Education Substitution for Specialized Experience for GS-11: A combination of the specialized experience as described above, but less than one year; and completion of more than two academic years of graduate level education, but less than three academic years of graduate-level education as described above.
Foreign education must be evaluated for U.S. equivalency in order to be considered for this position. You must include this information with your application package. Only degrees from an accredited college or university recognized by the Department of Education are acceptable to meet positive education requirements or to substitute for experience. For additional information, please go to the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and U.S. Department of Education websites at http://www.opm.gov/qualifications and http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html
Other Requirements: Click here for expanded definitions.
- Male applicants born after December 31, 1959 must complete a Pre-Employment Certification Statement for Selective Service Registration.
- You will be required to provide proof of U.S. Citizenship.
- One year trial/probationary period may be required.
- Direct Deposit of Pay is Required.
- Personnel Security Investigation required.
- This position is subject to annual seasonal influenza vaccinations. Applicants tentatively selected for appointment to this position will be required to sign a statement (Condition of Employment) consenting to seasonal influenza vaccinations or must provide a recognized exemption.
- This position is a Testing Designated Position (TDP) subject to applicant testing and random drug testing. Tentatively selected applicants will be required to sign DA Form 5019 requiring participation in random drug urinalysis testing. A job offer to an applicant who is a not a current employee will be withdrawn if the applicant refuses to be tested. Applicants with verified positive test results shall be refused employment. Applications from such individuals shall not be considered for employment for a period of 6 months from the date of the test results.
- A pre-placement medical examination is required.
- Occasional travel and duties will be performed at Dugway Proving Ground and Tooele Army Depot which are about 50 miles apart. Transportation will be provided.
- Employee must be willing and able to wear protective clothing.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a state issued drivers license.
- This is an obligated position, you must sign an agreement acknowledgement letter.
What To Expect Next
If you provided an email address, you will receive an email message acknowledging receipt of your application. Your application package will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position.
If you are determined to be ineligible or not qualified, your application will receive no further consideration.
The documents you submit must support your responses to the online questionnaire. If your application contradicts or does not support your questionnaire responses, you will receive a rating of "not qualified" or "incomplete application" and you will not receive further consideration for this job.
The Department of Defense offers an excellent benefits program.In addition to your take-home pay, your comprehensive compensation/benefits package will include most of the benefits described in the USAJOBS Resource Center.
- Selection is subject to restrictions resulting from Department of Defense referral system for displaced employees.
- If you have retired from federal service and you are interested in employment as a reemployed annuitant, see the information in the Reemployed Annuitantinformation sheet.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement.
- Salary includes applicable locality pay or Local Market Supplement.
- Permanent change of station costs may be paid.
- Relocation incentives may be paid.
- Further certification from this announcement may take place up to 90 days beyond the closing date of this announcement.
- This is a Career Program (CP) 12 position. CP 12 provide strategic planning for articulating a shared vision, and for building partnerships that are necessary for the safety and occupational health community to work together on common goals.
- This position is obligated. Obligated positions are those where the previous occupant has taken a temporary assignment to a different position and has return rights to this position. Exercise of these return rights will result in displacement from this position and may result in separation. Acceptance of this position does not confer any rights to placement if displaced from this position.
Salary Range: $59,246.00 to $77,019.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0690-11/11
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 453374100
Job Announcement Number: WTDJ164552271825360EM