Indian Health Service Custodian in Eagle Butte, South Dakota
Indian Health Service
Few vacancies in the following location:
- Eagle Butte, SD
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Thursday 1/28/2016 (270 day(s) ago)
** Closes Saturday 12/31/2016 (68 day(s) away)
About the Agency
Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives.
This position is located in the Housekeeping Department of the Cheyenne River Health Center. The incumbent may rotate hours of duty, including different shifts, weekends, and holiday duty, is cross trained to work in several areas of the Service Unit. The incumbent reports to the MVO/Housekeeping Supervisor.
This is an "Open Continuous Vacancy Announcement" and applications will be referred when vacancies occur.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Sweeps, mops, scrubs, applies floor wax and polishes floor surfaces throughout the hospital including stairways and elevators. Keeps a stock of cleaning materials and equipment needed to do the work also reports when all supplies are low.
- Maintains custodial equipment by cleaning, oiling, or adjusting machine to assure maximum use. Reports all major repairs to the Housekeeping Supervisor. Maintains other supplies in a similar manner.
- Empties trash cans from rooms and offices throughout the hospital. Takes trash outside to the trash dumpster.
- Washes windows, and screens inside an out. Dust window ledges, blinds and replaces burned out light bulbs, only when maintenance is unavailable after hours. These duties require climbing and standing on ladders.
- Keeps restrooms in a clean orderly and sanitary condition. Sweep, mops, and disinfects the floor of the restrooms, as well as, cleans, disinfects and sanitize the sinks, toilets, and urinals. Cleans mirrors, vents doors, and water fountains. Dust ledges and woodwork. Replaces deordorizers, toilet tissue, paper towels ,and soap dispensers. Will wash the walls in all areas on routine basis.
- Clean various areas such as in-patient rooms, bathrooms, public restrooms, exam rooms, isolation rooms, pharmacy, emergency room, lab, x-ray, halls, walls, floors, furnishings, equipment, windows, offices, entrances, etc. wiping surfaces using proper cleaning techniques, universal precautions, and chemicals.
- Wear personal protective equipment as required. Participates in performance improvement activities. Maintains required reports, checklists, and daily logs.
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional travel may be required for training and/or other work related duties.
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check.
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation.
- Selectee will be subject to a probationary/trial period.
- ESEP appointees typically serve two year trial period.
- More than one selection may be made from this announcement.
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- * * ### Qualifications
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
A Specific length of training and experience is not required, but you must show evidence of training or experience of sufficient scope and qualify of your ability to do the work of this position. Evidence of experience which demonstrates you how to possess the knowledge, skills and ability to perform the duties of this position must be supported by your resume. Knowledge of health care facility, disinfecting techniques, infection control standards, and universal precautions.
PHYSICAL EFFORT: Work requires regular and recurring periods of walking, bending and stooping. The physical demands vary from sedentary to lifting, moving or unpacking equipment weighing up to 50 lbs, bending, pushing and squatting. Required to perform hazardous work for sustained periods.
Time-In-Grade Requirements: Merit Promotion (status) candidates must have completed one year of service at the next lower grade level. Time-In-Grade provisions do not apply under the Excepted Service Examining Plan (ESEP).
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Saturday, December 31, 2016
Q - Nonsensitive
What To Expect Next
You can track the progress of your application package via your USAJOBS account. You will receive an acknowledgement from USAJOBS that your submission was successful once we have received your on-line occupational questionnaire, resume, and any supporting documentation. You will be notified of the status of your application via your USAJOBS Account after we conduct a qualification review of your complete application package. You will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempt to conceal information may disqualify you for employment consideration. We may verify all information you provide in your resume and questionnaire responses, through reference and/or background check, and/or verification of your education. If you are selected, you will be contacted personally by the Human Resources (HR) office posting this announcement.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned. CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT: Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $12.97 to $15.13 / Per Hour
Series & Grade: WG-3566-03/03
Promotion Potential: 03
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: Excepted Service Examining Plan Candidates (ESEP); Merit Promotion Plan Candidates (MPP); Veteran's Preference Candidates (including VEOA).
Control Number: 427920300
Job Announcement Number: IHS-16-GP-1611485-ESEP/MP