Indian Health Service Medical Technologist in Eagle Butte, South Dakota
Indian Health Service
2 vacancies in the following location:
- Eagle Butte, SD
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Thursday 6/23/2016 (126 day(s) ago)
** Closes Saturday 12/31/2016 (65 day(s) away)
About the Agency
The Indian Health Service (IHS) is the principal federal health care provider and health advocate for American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN). The IHS goal is to raise Indian health status to the highest possible level. IHS provides leadership and direction to programs and activities designed to improve health outcomes to over 1.9 million AI/AN through a system of IHS, Tribal, and Urban operated facilities and programs.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is being announced concurrently under Excepted Service Examining Plan/Merit Promotion Plan (ESEP/MPP) procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number ++IHS-R1-GP-1697212-ESEP/MP ++; for eligibility requirements. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered
This position is located within the Laboratory of the Cheyenne River Health Center Eagle Butte, South Dakota. The primary purpose of this position is to perform standardized laboratory testing procedures, while following laboratory and Cheyenne River Health Center policies. This position reports directly to the Medical Technologist Supervisor.
- Collects preserves and transports patient specimens.
- Performs laboratory tests, reviews tests results and approves test results.
- Performs Quality Control and Proficiency testing on all laboratory tests.
- Operates laboratory equipment.
- Performs maintenance and calibration on laboratory equipment.
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional travel may be required for training and/or other work related duties.
- The selected applicant will be subject to a pre-employment background
- investigation, which will include a fingerprint check.
- If applicable-Selective Service registration (Males born after 12/31/59)
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- A current, valid, unrestricted professional license must be maintained.
To qualify for this position, your resume must reflect sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the position for which you are applying. Your resume is key in evaluating your experience, as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to be clear and specific when describing your work experience.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume. 1. Degree: Medical technology, chemistry, or biology that included or was supplemented by at least: 16 semester hours of biological science of which one course was in microbiology and one course was in immunology. (NOTE: If there is no mention of immunology or immunobiology in the course title, the requirement for a course in immunology may be met by any course that covers the following topic areas: (1) definition and relationships of antigens and antibodies; (2) host-antigen interactions; (3) bursal and thymic influences on lymphoid cells; and (4) humoral and cellular response mechanisms.) The remaining biology courses must have been in general biology, zoology, or any of the areas listed below under "Evaluation of Education and Experience;" 16 semester hours of chemistry of which one course was in organic or biochemistry. The remaining chemistry courses must have been in general chemistry, qualitative analysis, qualitative chemistry, quantitative chemistry, physical chemistry, analytical chemistry, or any of the areas listed below under "Evaluation of Education and Experience;" and 3 semester hours of college mathematics.
OR 2. A full 4-year course of study: that included or was supplemented by at least 12 months in a college or hospital-based medical technology program or medical technology school approved by a recognized accrediting organization. The professional medical technology curriculum may have consisted of a 1-year post-baccalaureate certificate program or the last 1 or 2 years of a 4-year program of study culminating in a bachelor's in medical technology.
- A combination of: (1) at least 35 semester hours of biological science, chemistry, and mathematics as described in paragraph A above and (2) additional appropriate education and/or experience totaling 4 years. This combination of education and experience must have provided knowledge of the theories, principles, and practices of medical technology equivalent to that provided by the full 4-year course of study described in A or B above. All science and mathematics courses must have been acceptable for credit toward meeting the requirements for a science major at an accredited college or university. Acceptable experience is responsible professional or technician experience in a hospital laboratory, health agency, industrial medical laboratory, or pharmaceutical house; or teaching, test development, or medical research program experience that provided an understanding of the methods and techniques applied in performing professional clinical laboratory work. Certification/licensure as a medical technologist (generalist) obtained through written examination by a nationally recognized credentialing agency or State licensing body is a good indication that the quality of experience is acceptable. Additional Requirements:
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS Qualifications: Copy of current professional licensure may be required during the hiring process. Transcripts: Transcripts must be provided at time of initial application. Transcripts must be legible and include the applicants name, name school, provide course listing, and grades earned. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable but official transcripts will be required before entrance on duty. Failure to submit transcripts may result in a rating of not qualified.
In addition, to the Basic Requirements, you must also meet the Minimum Qualifications stated below-
Your resume must demonstrate at least one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector performing the following types of tasks:
GS-05: Overall assignments in this position are substantially the same as those covered in the GS-07 position with the exception of the following: The incumbent works under closer supervision performing assignments and completing training. GS-07: One (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least GS-5 grade level; OR, One (1) year of graduate-level education or superior academic achievement if related to the position being filled. GS-09: One (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least GS-7 grade level.; OR, Two (2) 2 years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to a master's degree or master's or equivalent graduate degree if related to the position being filled. Specialized Experience Defined: GS-7: Experience working in a laboratory in a clinic or hospital setting. In this type of setting having Experience in the following; Experience checking specimens, preparing reagents, calibrating and/or operating instruments; Experience preparing analysis, correcting malfunctions, collecting and verifying data, and notifying appropriate officials of results. GS-9: Independently with little supervision; Experience working in a laboratory in a clinic or hospital setting. In this type of setting having Experience in the following; Experience checking specimens, preparing reagents, calibrating and/or operating instruments; Experience preparing analysis, correcting malfunctions, collecting and verifying data, and notifying appropriate officials of results. Experience instructing other lab scientists, med technicians, nurses, and others in techniques, equipment use, test slip requirements etc...
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Saturday, December 31, 2016
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. Applicant MUST verify the completeness and successful submission of their applications by logging into the USAJobs Application Manager to check the Status. Your qualifications for the job will be reviewed against other applicants to determine, if you will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps have been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicants responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
Additional selection(s) of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued for this announcement.
A one-year probationary period may be required upon selection/placement.
This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
Position covered under P.L. 101-630 Government housing may be provided upon availability
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a fingerprint check. Fingerprint results must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Selectee will be required to be immunized against Measles and Rubella and provide documentation prior to or at the time of their start date. Special consideration may be allowed to individuals who are allergic to a component of the vaccine or are currently pregnant. Selectee must have documented immunity to Rubella and Measles.
- Selectee(s) are required to have a viable bank account at a financial institution for electronic direct deposit of salary payment.
- Position subject to rotating shifts and nights/weekends/holidays.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $36,740.00 to $64,228.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0644-05/09
Promotion Potential: 09
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens; PHS Commissioned Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps MUST apply to the merit promotion announcement in order to receive consideration.
Control Number: 442723800
Job Announcement Number: IHS-16-GP-1735737-DE