Army National Guard Units (Title 32) IT Specialist (SYSADMIN) in Fort Benning, Georgia
Army National Guard Units (Title 32)
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Fort Benning, GA
Work Schedule is Full Time - Excepted Service Permanent
Opened Monday 10/3/2016 (16 day(s) ago)
** Closes Monday 10/24/2016 (5 day(s) away)
WELCOME TO THE PEACH STATE!
Area of Consideration: Area of Consideration: Open only to current Georgia Army National Guard members.
Position Location: 648th MEB, Ft Benning, Georgia.
Permanent Change of Station (PCS): PCS is not authorized. Relocation Incentive: Relocation Incentive is not authorized.Selected Reserve Incentive Program (SRIP): Acceptance of a Federal Excepted technician position of over 179 days in length will cause termination from the Selected Reserve Incentive Program (SRIP).
Type of Appointment: This is a full-time, Excepted Permanent dual-status, position which requires Georgia Army National Guard membership.
Job Summary: This position is located in an information management organization. The purpose of the position is to serve as a systems administrator of assigned systems maintained/administered by the organization. The incumbent is responsible for the installing, testing, system security configuration and monitoring, operating, troubleshooting and maintaining server hardware and software. The position will also serve as a member of a team of systems administrators receiving guidance from the team leader.
Background Check: Selectee may, at the option of the agency, be required to submit to criminal, credit history, and general background checks which will be evaluated by the agency prior to a final offer of employment and access into the Georgia National Guard Federal Technician or Active Guard/Reserve program.
National Guard Membership:This position requires military membership. It is designated for Georgia Army National Guard Officer, Warrant Officer or Enlisted incumbent(s) only. In accordance with AR regulations, incumbent performs duties necessary to accomplish military IT Specialist (SYSADMIN) functions in support of programs essential to state Army National Guard daily operations, training and readiness missions. As a member of a Georgia Army National Guard unit, you will be required to train with your unit, normally one weekend a month and 15 days of annual training each year. Georgia Army National Guard units and members are subject to immediate call to federal or state active duty to meet national or state emergencies.
The following list of duties is not conclusive but provides a brief snapshot of the duties that may be required of this position:
- Modifies, test and implement system backup and recovery strategies for assigned system.
- Serves as a systems administrator for the less complex systems involving a limited number of servers operating on a single operating system
- Diagnoses system failures to isolate source of problems between equipment, system software, and application programs.
- Interacts with peers and vendors to resolve hardware and software problems.
- Participates in the analysis of requests for new or modified applications.
- Assists in determining equipment demands, number and kinds of records, files, communications and procedures necessary to obtain, organize information and interfaces with other systems.
- Provides systems support on personal computer, mini-computers or main frames
- Manages the flow of data between various tiers of the architecture.
- Writes program scripts to facilitate backup and recovery procedures.
- Assists in security management to ensure only authorized (personnel) access computer systems.
- Implements state policy relating to systems storage requirements
- Plans and schedules the installation of new or modified hardware, operating systems, and software applications.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Not Required
- Must be a current U.S. Citizen.
- Under 5 USC 2108 & 5 CFR 211, Veteran's Preference criteria does not apply.
- Direct Deposit Banking is Mandatory.
- Military Requirement: OBR: 25; OAOC: 53; WMOS: 255A/N/S; ECMF: 25.
General Experience: Must have experience, education or training that has provided a basic knowledge of data processing functions and general management principles that enabled the applicant to understand the stages required to automate a work process. Experience may have been gained in work such as computer operator or assistant, computer sales representative, program analyst, or other positions that required the use or adaptation of computer programs and systems.
Specialized Experience: Must have a minimum of 24 months specialized experience in analysis of the interrelationship of pertinent components of the system. Experience planning the sequence of actions necessary to accomplish the assignment. Experience scheduling the sequence of programs to be processed by computers where alternatives had to be weighed with a view to production efficiency.
Security Plus Certification is a requirement within 06 months of employment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs): Applicants who meet the eligibility requirements will be further evaluated by the Selecting Official based on the following KSAs considered essential to perform the duties and responsibilities of this position.
- Knowledge of applying systems administration methods and procedures and performance monitoring methods sufficient to schedule, monitor and verify the integrity of systems installation, backups, recovery and security.
- Knowledge of applying systems administration methods and procedures sufficient to install server upgrades, schedule maintenance downtime such that it minimizes the adverse impact on the users and to recognize and refer the more complex problems to a higher-graded specialist.
- Knowledge of system performance monitoring software and procedures to monitor system performance, peak usage times, etc.
- Knowledge of overall system software, hardware and networking to recognize interrelationships within area of responsibility sufficient to report, respond to, and resolve the less complex customer requests.
- Skill in applying systems security principles and procedures along with analytical reasoning sufficient to correct security vulnerabilities in response to problems identified in vulnerability reports.
- knowledge of network configuration techniques, computer equipment and assigned system software to determine source of failures.
- skill in using system software, IT security principles and functional application software used throughout the state.
- Knowledge of how the hardware, software and network infrastructure relates to the serviced systems along with an understanding of how they integrate together sufficient to analyze problems reported and to distinguish among hardware, software, network and user-related problems.
- Knowledge of computer systems and information transmission systems standards and equipment sufficient to install, configure, upgrade and troubleshoot hardware and software components.
- Knowledge of computer systems installed in customer organizations along with the customer's automation needs to participate in the planning and delivery of a full range of IT customer support services.
- Knowledge of methods and procedures for documenting problem analysis and resolutions sufficient to maintain records of activities.
Other Requirements:Candidates must possess a security clearance (Secret or Top Secret) or be able to obtain a clearance within one year of appointment.
National Guard Compatibility: *Once an applicant is selected and prior to being placed in the technician IT Specialist (SYSADMIN) position, the selectee must be assigned to any unit in the Georgia Army/Air National Guard as an Officer, Warrant Officer or Enlisted member in OBR: 25; OAOC: 53; WMOS: 255A/N/S; ECMF: 25. *Rank inversion is strictly prohibited.
Wear of the Army/Air uniform as prescribed by AFR/AR/NGB/GA NGR is required for incumbent of this position. Acceptance of this position constitutes concurrence with this requirement as a condition of employment.
What To Expect Next
Once the online questionnaire is received, you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. Based upon your score, you may be referred to the hiring official. If your name is referred to the hiring official, you may be contacted directly by that office for a possible interview.
You will receive notice via email or by mail, if no email address was provided by you during the application process, once this process is completed (generally 4-6 weeks).
Thank you for your interest in the Georgia National Guard. Good Luck!
The following Web addresses are provided for your reference to explore the major benefits offered to most Federal employees. Main site for new federal employees - http://www.opm.gov/insure/newemploy/index.asp Flexible Spending Accounts - This Program allows you to pay for certain health and dependent care expenses with pre-tax dollars. For additional information visit: https://www.fsafeds.com/fsafeds/index.asp Health Insurance - The FEHB Program offers over 100 optional plans. For additional information visit: http://www.opm.gov/insure/health/index.asp Leave - Most Federal employees earn both annual and sick leave. For additional information visit: http://www.opm.gov/oca/leave/index.asp
Life Insurance - The FEGLI Program offers Basic Life Insurance plus three types of optional insurance, for additional information visit: http://www.opm.gov/insure/life/index.asp Long Term Care Insurance - The FLTCIP provides long term care insurance for Federal employees and their parents, parents-in-law, stepparents, spouses, and adult children. For additional information visit: http://www.ltcfeds.com/ Retirement Program - Almost all new employees are automatically covered by the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS). FERS is a three-tiered retirement plan. The three tiers are: Social Security Benefits, Basic Benefit Plan, Thrift Savings Plan. For additional information visit: http://www.opm.gov/retire/index.asp.
Males born after 31 December 1959 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service (see www.sss.gov).
Salary Range: $55,670.00 to $72,366.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-2210-09/09
Promotion Potential: 09
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: Open only to current Georgia Army National Guard members.
Control Number: 452280000
Job Announcement Number: T-17-001 (1810090)