Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Physician (Psychiatrist) in Fort Wayne, Indiana
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
6 vacancies in the following locations:
- Fort Wayne, IN
- Goshen, IN
- Marion, IN
- Muncie, IN
- Peru, IN More Locations (1)
Work Schedule is Full Time - Excepted Service Permanent
Opened Wednesday 12/23/2015 (305 day(s) ago)
** Closes Thursday 12/22/2016 (60 day(s) away)
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 1587133
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
Payment of relocation expenses MAY be authorized for select candidates.
A relocation incentive MAY be authorized for select candidates.
A recruitment incentive MAY be authorized for select candidates.
Once appointed you will be eligible to apply for student loan reimbursement under the Education Debt Reduction Program. Approval is dependent on meeting program requirements and program funding.
The selected candidate's salary will be determined by a Compensation Panel. The Compensation Panel will review the selected applicants' education, qualifications, board certifications, professional training/fellowship(s), and length of practice (professional experience) in determining the grade and salary of the applicant selected.
Please note: This is an open continuous announcement. We accept applications for this occupation on an ongoing basis until filled. Your application must be complete to receive consideration. This vacancy announcement does not preclude filling this position by other means.
The mission of VA Northern Indiana Health Care System (VANIHCS), is to provide coordinated, compassionate and comprehensive quality primary care, mental health, surgical, intensive and extended care to Veterans in a timely, accessible and cost effective manner. It is a fully-integrated medical care facility with a dual campus and combined VA mission. The combined mission of the VANIHCS means military retirees, and eligible veterans receive health care at these facilities. The Fort Waynecampus offers primary and secondary medical and surgical services as well as intensive care and emergency medicine. The Marioncampus offers a full range of psychiatry services, nursing home care and extended care services. Primary care clinics are available at both campuses and at Community Based Outpatient Clinics (CBOCs) located in South Bend, Goshen, Peru and Muncie, Indiana.
VANIHCS offers a competitive salary, incentives and excellent federal government benefits. As a VA physician, your opportunities are endless. With many openings in the multiple functions of the VA, you will have a wide range of opportunities at your fingertips. Not only is it the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries.
As a psychiatrist you will be responsible for all aspects of psychiatric care. These positions are located in both outpatient and inpatient settings depending on the needs at the time of hiring. Duties will include but are not limited to the following:
- Initial evaluation and management of inpatients and outpatients referred for mental health treatment.
- Providing consultation and treatment for inpatients with mental health needs.
- Ordering diagnostic tests, imaging examinations or other diagnostic tests.
- Provides patient and family education, staff education and consults and collaborates with other health care providers.
Work Schedule:Outpatient-primarily day shift, Monday through Friday. Inpatient-rotating shifts including nights and weekends.
*Functional Statement Title/#: * VM060215PS
- Not Required
- Relocation expenses MAY be paid for select individuals
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Designated and/or Random Drug Testing required.
- Background and/or Security Investigation required.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- Full, Active and Unrestricted Medical License
- Citizenship of the United States. Noncitizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with Department of Veterans Affairs policy.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Completion of a first-year residency, or its equivalent, approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which it was completed.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Physical requirements outlined below.
- Board eligibility or certification in psychiatry
- Previous VA experience or previous military experience
- Experience treating former military members
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Note*:* Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements: All applicants must meet the physical standards for the position. A physical examination prior to employment may be required. In the process of providing patient care, the work involves regular and recurring periods of walking, standing, sitting, bending, pulling, lifting, reaching and carrying. Manual dexterity is required to operate medical equipment and perform activities such as surgery, treatments and computerized medical record documentation.
Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
After we receive your application package we will review your qualifications and contact you for an interview if you are found qualified.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on "Application Status." For a more detailed update of your status, click on "more information." Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. The VHA physician brochure provides an overview of the benefits associated with a VA practice.
Annual leave shall accrue for full-time physicians at the rate of 26 days per leave year (1 day per pay period).
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply.
The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Salary Range: $150,000.00 to $300,000.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: VM-0602-00/00
Promotion Potential: 00
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified U.S. citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
Control Number: 425033100
Job Announcement Number: 610-16-JB-1587133