Indian Health Service Nurse Anesthetist (DHA) in Gallup, New Mexico
Indian Health Service
Few vacancies in the following location:
- Gallup, NM
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Monday 1/25/2016 (272 day(s) ago)
** Closes Saturday 12/31/2016 (69 day(s) away)
The Indian Health Service (IHS) is the principal federal health care provider and health advocate for American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN). The IHS goal is to raise Indian health status to the highest possible level. IHS provides leadership and direction to programs and activities designed to improve health outcomes to over 1.9 million AI/AN through a system of IHS, Tribal, and Urban operated facilities and programs.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This is an open continuous announcement. To remain in active status for positions announced under this open continuous announcement, ensure you keep your application information updated. Failure to keep information updated will result in "expired application" status and you will no longer be considered for future openings.
This position is being announced concurrently under Excepted Service Examining Plan/Merit Promotion Plan (ESEP/MPP) procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number IHS-16-GA-1609388-ESEP/MP; for eligibility requirements. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
This position is located at Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) Indian Health Service (IHS), Division of Clinical Service, Anesthesiology Branch, Gallup, NM. and reports to the Chief of Anesthesiology or designee or Clinical Director.
- Determines and provides treatment plans and services for patients undergoing a wide variety of surgical operations.
- Conducts pre-operative assessment of the surgical patient by reviewing the clinical chart and interviewing the patients.
- Establishes the treatment plan and administers the proper anesthesia technique to include: general anesthesia or sedation to include the patient to the proper state of anesthesia depth, utilizing a variety of drugs and techniques, or regional anesthesia to produce insensitivity to surgical stimuli.
- Manages patient conditions throughout surgery which involves interpreting and utilizing data from a variety of monitoring devices and determining the need for and applying appropriate supportive therapy.
- Manages the post-anesthesia care of patients by reviewing clinical chart; conducting interviews to determine presence of absence of complications and assuring continuity of care from surgery to recovery room.
- Participates in emergency cases by applying resuscitation techniques throughout the medical facility.
- Not Required
- Relocation expenses are authorized and will be paid. You will be required to sign a one year service agreement. Failure to fulfill the one year service agreement may result in repayment of relocation expenses.
- The selected applicant will be subject to a pre-employment background
- investigation, which will include a fingerprint check.
- If applicable-Selective Service registration (Males born after 12/31/59)
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Nursing licensure is required.
To qualify for this position, your resume must reflect sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the position for which you are applying. Your resume is key in evaluating your experience, as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to be clear and specific when describing your work experience.
Education: Degree or diploma from a professional nursing program approved by the legally designated State accrediting agency at the time the program was completed by the applicant. Applicants for nurse anesthetist positions must have graduated from a course of study for nurses in anesthesia of at least 18 month's duration that was accredited by the American Association of Nurse Anesthetists for the year of their graduation. Registration: Applicants must have active, current registration as a professional nurse in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States. In addition to meeting the Basic Requirements: GS-11: Completion of all requirements for a doctoral degree (Ph.D. or equivalent) or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education, OR must have 52 weeks of professional nursing experience equivalent to at least the GS-9 grade level. GS-12: Applicants must have 52 weeks of professional nursing experience equivalent to at least the GS-11 grade level. GS-13: Applicants must have 52 weeks of professional nursing experience equivalent to at least the GS-12 grade level. Evaluation of Experience: Experience must have equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position. At GS-9 and above, the positions require specialty experience as a Nurse Anesthetist. Evaluation of Education: Graduate-level education must have been in nursing with a concentration in a field of nursing, (e.g., teaching, a clinical specialty, research, administration, etc.) or in a closely related non-nursing field directly applicable to the requirements of the position to be filled. Applicants for nurse anesthetist positions at GS-9 and above must have graduated from a course of study for nurses in anesthesia of at least 18 month's duration that was accredited by the American Association of Nurse Anesthetists for the year of their graduation. Selective Factor: In addition to the qualification requirements, to be rated basically qualified for the position, applicants must demonstrate possession of the following. Verification of current, valid, active, unrestricted license in any State, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States is required when filling all positions for registered nurses at all levels. Public Health Service (PHS) Licensure Policy: Each PHS Nurse must possess and maintain a valid, active, current licensure/registration as a professional nurse.
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Saturday, December 31, 2016
Q - Nonsensitive
What To Expect Next
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. Applicant MUST verify the completeness and successful submission of their applications by logging into the USAJobs Application Manager to check the Status. Your qualifications for the job will be reviewed against other applicants to determine, if you will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps have been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicants responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
Additional selection(s) of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued for this announcement.
A one-year probationary period may be required upon selection/placement.
A one-year supervisory/managerial probationary period may be required upon selection/placement. (Supervisory positions only)
This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
Recruitment incentive (may or may not) be authorized.
The selected individual is required to obtain and maintain medical staff clinical privileges, including any licensure requirements. If privileges are not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee will be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from Federal service.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a fingerprint check. Fingerprint results must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957. Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $124,141.00 to $187,245.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0610-11/13
Promotion Potential: 13
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 427573200
Job Announcement Number: IHS-16-GA-1609473-DH