Indian Health Service Nurse Midwife (DHA) in Gallup, New Mexico
Indian Health Service
Few vacancies in the following location:
- Gallup, NM
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Wednesday 1/20/2016 (278 day(s) ago)
** Closes Saturday 12/31/2016 (68 day(s) away)
The Indian Health Service (IHS) is the principal federal health care provider and health advocate for American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN). The IHS goal is to raise Indian health status to the highest possible level. IHS provides leadership and direction to programs and activities designed to improve health outcomes to over 1.9 million AI/AN through a system of IHS, Tribal, and Urban operated facilities and programs.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This is an Open Continuous announcement. To remain in active status for positions announced under the open continuous announcement ensure you keep your application updated. Failure to keep information updated will result in "expired application" status and you will no longer be considered for future openings.
This position is being announced concurrently under Excepted Service Examining Plan/Merit Promotion Plan (ESEP/MPP) procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number IHS-16-GA-1604451-ESEP/MP, for eligibility requirements. NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered.
This position is located at the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), Indian Health Service (IHS), Gallup Indian Medical Center (GIMC), Division of Clinical Service, Obstetrical and Gynecology Branch, Gallup, NM.
- Manages the care of normal antepartum women including teaching, counseling and support.
- Takes health history, and performs and records the obstetrical physical evaluation.
- Evaluates and reviews findings with the physician and expectant mother.
- Manages labor, including teaching and support.
- Performs the following procedures: starts intravenous infusions; administers analgesia according to standing orders; performs local anesthesia; manages and controls normal spontaneous deliveries but does not perform forcep deliveries; records the labor and delivery.
- Performs and records physical evaluation of newborns.
- Manages care of normal newborn including nutrition, elimination and activity.
- Performs pelvic examinations and pap smears.
- Advanced Nurse Midwives are responsible for handling high risk/problem cases on a co-management basis with the physician/obstetrician. High-risk cases involve diabetes, pre-eclampsia, hypertention, anemia, infection, cardiac problems, arrested progress of labor, hemorrhaging and shock, resuscitation of newborn infants, including intubation, administering oxygen, cardio-pulmonary resuscitation (CPR), etc.
- Not Required
- The selected applicant will be subject to a pre-employment background
- investigation, which will include a fingerprint check.
- If applicable-Selective Service registration (Males born after 12/31/59)
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Must have a current, valid, active and unrestricted Nurse Midwife license.
To qualify for this position, your resume must reflect sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the position for which you are applying. Your resume is key in evaluating your experience, as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to be clear and specific when describing your work experience.
Education: Degree or diploma from a professional nursing program approved by the legally designated State accrediting agency at the time the program was completed by the applicant.Registration: Applicants must have active, current registration as a professional nurse in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States. NOTE: Candidates can apply within six (6) months of meeting the education and/or licensure requirements. However, evidence of meeting the requirements must be provided and verified prior to entrance on duty. In Addition to Meeting the Basic Requirements:GS-09: Applicants must have had 52 weeks of professional nursing experience equivalent to at least the GS-7 level OR 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education or a master's or equivalent degree.GS-11: Applicants must have 52 weeks of professional nursing experience equivalent to at least the GS-9 level OR completion of all requirements for a doctoral degree (Ph.D. or equivalent) or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education.GS-12: Applicants must have 52 weeks of professional nursing experience equivalent to at least the GS-11 level.Evaluation of Education: Graduate-level education must have been in nursing with a concentration in a field of nursing (e.g., teaching, a clinical specialty, research, administration, etc.) or in a closely related non-nursing field directly applicable to the requirements of the position to be filled. Applicants for nurse midwife positions must have completed an organized program of study and clinical experience recognized by the American College of Nurse Midwives.Evaluation of Experience: Experience must have equipped the applicant with the particular knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform successfully the duties of the position. At GS-9 and above, many positions require experience in a specialty area of nursing.Professional Nurse Experience: Work experience reflecting independently providing comprehensive nursing care related to maternal-child health care. Work experience in providing medical and nursing care of patients in the antepartum period and during labor and delivery. Selective Factor: In addition to the qualification requirements, to be rated basically qualified for the position, applicants must demonstrate possession of the following. Verification of current, valid, active, unrestricted license in any State, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States is required when filling all positions for registered nurses at all levels.Public Health Service (PHS) Licensure Policy: Each PHS Nurse must possess and maintain a valid, active, current licensure/registration as a professional nurse.
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Saturday, December 31, 2016
Q - Nonsensitive
What To Expect Next
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. Applicant MUST verify the completeness and successful submission of their applications by logging into the USAJobs Application Manager to check the Status. Your qualifications for the job will be reviewed against other applicants to determine, if you will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps have been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicants responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
Additional selection(s) of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued for this announcement.
A one-year probationary period may be required upon selection/placement.
A one-year supervisory/managerial probationary period may be required upon selection/placement. (Supervisory positions only)
This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
Recruitment incentive (may or may not) be authorized.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a fingerprint check. Fingerprint results must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Immunization Record: Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $57,093.00 to $99,361.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0610-09/12
Promotion Potential: 12
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 427157400
Job Announcement Number: IHS-16-GA-1604476-DHA