Indian Health Service Physician Assistant DE in Gallup, New Mexico
Indian Health Service
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Gallup, NM
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Thursday 8/18/2016 (65 day(s) ago)
** Closes Saturday 12/31/2016 (70 day(s) away)
The Indian Health Service (IHS) is the principal federal health care provider and health advocate for American Indians and Alaska Natives (AI/AN). The IHS goal is to raise Indian health status to the highest possible level. IHS provides leadership and direction to programs and activities designed to improve health outcomes to over 1.9 million AI/AN through a system of IHS, Tribal, and Urban operated facilities and programs.
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is being re-advertised to solicit additional applications. Applicants who applied previously need not reapply unless submitting updated and/or missing information.
This position is being announced concurrently under Excepted Service Examining Plan/Merit Promotion Plan (ESEP/MPP) procedures. Please review vacancy announcement number IHS-R2-GA-1684019-ESEP/MP; for eligibility requirements.
NOTE: Applicants must apply separately for each announcement in order to be considered
*The position is located in the Division of Clinical Services, Emergency Services Branch, Gallup Indian Medical Center (GIMC), Gallup, New Mexico. Gallup Indian Medical Center has been designated by the State of New Mexico as a Level III Trauma Center. *
The incumbent will serve as a Physician Assistant, providing Direct Patient Care working closely with Physicians in the Emergency Room. The position reports to the Chief of Emergency Medicine.
- Provides diagnostic and therapeutic health services to patients under the continuing guidance of a physician.
- Makes medical decisions, orders diagnostic tests and forms treatment plans under the guidance of a physician and/or practice guidelines.
- Takes comprehensive or focused health histories from patients or their attendant.
- Performs comprehensive or focused physical exams on patients.
- Records health history and physical exam in a legible and coherent fashion.
- Provides therapeutics including, but not limited to medications, wound care and orthopedic care under the guidance of a physician and/or practice guideline.
- Provides appropriate health education to patients and their families.
- Records treatment plans legibly and coherently in the medical record.
- Attends mandatory Medical Staff and departmental meetings unless otherwise assigned.
- Incumbent will perform other duties as assigned.
- Not Required
- Relocation expenses are authorized and will be paid. You will be required to sign a one year service agreement. Failure to fulfill the one year service agreement may result in repayment of relocation expenses.
- The selected applicant will be subject to a pre-employment background
- investigation, which will include a fingerprint check.
- If applicable-Selective Service registration (Males born after 12/31/59)
- U.S. Citizenship is required
To qualify for this position, your resume must reflect sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the position for which you are applying. Your resume is key in evaluating your experience, as they relate to this position. Therefore, we encourage you to be clear and specific when describing your work experience.
All applicants must meet the following basic requirements for all grade levels:
- Graduation from a physician assistant educational program, accredited by the Accreditation Review Committee on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC-PA) or its predecessors, at a college, university or educational institution that is accredited by an accrediting body or organization recognized by the Secretary, U.S. Department of Education.
- Successful completion of the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA) examination; must maintain status as a certified physician assistant, including completion of all requirements for continuing medical education (CME) and re-certification.
In addition, to the Basic Requirements, you must also meet the Minimum Qualifications stated below-
GS-11 (or equivalent): Applicants who meet the least one of the following requirements qualify for positions at this grade level:
- A minimum of one full year of work experience as a certified physician assistant equivalent to the GS-09 grade level and completion of an accredited physician assistant educational program as described above; or
- PhD or equivalent doctoral degree in a related health field and completion of an accredited physician assistant educational program. Example of related doctoral degree programs include, but are not limited to, public health; allied health field; public health education; or other related health science.
GS-12 and above (or equivalent): A minimum of one full year of work experience as a certified physician assistant equivalent to the next lower grade level and completion of an accredited physician assistant educational program is required.
Evaluation of Experience: Experience must have demonstrated the ability to perform professional caliber medical work as a physician's assistant with minimal supervision, including such duties as taking case histories, conducting physical examinations, and ordering laboratory studies; carrying out special procedures such as giving injections or other medications, apply or change dressings, perform lumbar punctures or suture minor lacerations. Experience must have been obtained in the Emergency Room setting, as well as in the Pediatric setting.
The selected individual is required to obtain and maintain medical staff clinical privileges, including any licensure requirements. If privileges are not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee will be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from Federal service.
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Time) of the closing date: Saturday, December 31, 2016
Q - Sensitive
What To Expect Next
Once the online questionnaire is received you will receive an acknowledgement email that your submission was successful. Applicant MUST verify the completeness and successful submission of their applications by logging into the USAJobs Application Manager to check the Status. Your qualifications for the job will be reviewed against other applicants to determine, if you will be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interviews. We will notify you of the outcome after each of these steps have been completed. After making a tentative job offer, we will conduct a suitability/security background investigation.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicants responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
Additional selection(s) of candidates may be possible within 90 days from the date the certificate of eligibles was issued for this announcement.
Promotion Potential: This position has promotion potential to the GS-12 grade level. Promotion to the next grade level is at management's discretion and is based on your demonstrated ability to perform the higher level duties, the continuing need for the higher level duties, and "Regulatory/Administrative" approval. Promotion to the next higher grade level is not guaranteed and no promise of promotion is implied.
A one-year probationary period may be required upon selection/placement.
This position is covered by a Bargaining Unit.
Recruitment incentive may be authorized.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a fingerprint check. Fingerprint results must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957.Seasonal Influenza immunization is required for civilian health care facility staff working in Indian Health Service health care facilities.
- The selected individual is required to obtain and maintain medical staff clinical privileges, including any licensure requirements. If privileges are not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee will be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from Federal service.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $69,081.00 to $97,291.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0603-11/12
Promotion Potential: 12
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 448069700
Job Announcement Number: IHS-R2-NJ-1683846-DE