Midwestern University Practice Assistant - Dental Institute in Glendale, Arizona
The Practice Assistant provides assistance to a dentist and student dentist when it relates to examining and treating patients.The position reports to the Practice Assistant Supervisor at the College of Dental Medicine.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Receive, greet, seat, and assist with patient screenings including taking vitals and medical history
- Perform digital radiographs, demonstrate radiographic technique as approved by MWU CDMA or assist students in performing digital radiographs.
- Assist in preparing patients for treatment when needed
- Assist students and faculty during Orthodontic, Operative, Endodontic, Periodontal, Pediatric, Radiology and Oral Surgery procedures.
- As needed the Practice Assistant may be assigned to a specialty discipline, but will be expected to be able to cover in all clinical areas as needed and assigned.
- Assist Dental Hygienist with perio-charting, radiographs and room preparation.
- Housekeeping duties, cleaning operatories, traps, flushing the lines ensuring the suite is within OSHA guidelines
- Maintain all small equipment ensuring it is properly working, and ready for the students
- Pull all necessary cassettes, handpieces, burs and all supplies needed for patient procedures
- Dispense all items to students and clinical instructors
- Assist in flash sterilization and other areas of the clinic when needed
- Maintain accurate inventory using the record keeping module in axiUm
- Schedule and confirm appointments
- Administrative tasks consisting of retrieving messages, notifying students, return calls to patients using proper documentation
- Assist in training new employees
- Assist with data entry, ordering and sorting clinical supplies
- Attend staff meetings
- Adaptable to shift changes
- Other duties as assigned
The position has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.* *
This position requires a significant amount of interaction with the public and many internal customers and therefore, the individual must be able to develop positive rapport effectively. This position requires a significant amount of interaction students, so the individual must be ready to assist as requested by faculty. The ability to maintain a professional demeanor, be detail oriented, and promote a welcoming atmosphere is essential. The ability and willingness to cross train in other areas of the Dental clinic is required. The ability to interact professionally with vendors is also required. The individual must have the ability to become familiar with axiUm and the electronic tracking system and be comfortable working with computers.. * *
Education and/or Experience
High School diploma or GED, 3-5 years of clinical practice experience (front and back office), CPR and Radiology certification, and familiarity with OSHA guidelines required. Knowledge of Dental equipment, general procedures, and proper infection control protocols also required. ACLS certification is preferred. Experience working in a team and customer service oriented environment and excellent written and verbal communication skills are essential.
Working knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook) and general Dental Software required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand and walk. The employee is frequently required to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl, use hands to handle or feel, reach with hands and arms, talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance and sit. The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. The employee is regularly required to push up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Midwestern University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not discriminate against an employee or applicant based upon race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability, or veterans status, in accord with 41 C.F.R. 60-1.4(a), 250.5(a), 300.5(a) and 741.5(a).
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
High School or better
3-5 years:High School diploma or GED, 3-5 years of clinical practice experience (front and back office), CPR and Radiology certification, and familiarity with OSHA guidelines required.
Posted: August 20, 2016