Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Registered Nurse (Community Living Center) in Grand Island, Nebraska
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
Few vacancies in the following location:
- Grand Island, NE
Work Schedule is Full Time - Permanent
Opened Wednesday 6/1/2016 (262 day(s) ago)
** Closes Wednesday 5/31/2017 (102 day(s) away)
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 1717830
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
We are a patient-centered, integrated health care organization for veterans which provides excellent health care, research and education. For more information on working for the Department of Veterans Affairs in VISN 23, please visit us at: http://www.nebraska.va.gov/.
You can make a difference! The VA offers generous paid time off and a variety of predictable and flexible scheduling opportunities. For more information on the Department of Veterans Affairs, go to http://www.vacareers.va.gov/.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
The incumbent for this position may be eligible to apply for the Education Debt Reduction Program. Please contact Human Resources at this medical center and speak with the Education Debt Reduction Program Coordinator for additional information.
This is an open, continuous, vacancy announcement. Applications will be reviewed twice a month, on the second and fourth Fridays of the month beginning with Friday, June 10, 2016.
This position is located in the Community Living Center at the Grand Island Medical Center. The individual selected into this position is expected to practice within the entire scope of a Registered Nurse as defined by governing bodies. Listed below are examples of duties of this position however duties are not limited to this specific list:
Utilize nursing process to assess and provide professional nursing care, as defined by state statute, for patients with complex nursing needs.
Provide leadership in role of team leader through appropriate assignments of other staff members and assuring completion of tasks within expectations.
Administers medications in accordance with policy and licensure.
Use of professional interpersonal skills in working with patients, families, medical providers and co-workers.
Documents professionally, timely and accurately.
Anticipate emergencies, monitor and evaluate patients and coordinate responses through critical thinking and professional nursing judgment.
Work Schedule: *5:45am to 2:15pm Every Other Weekend *OR 5:45am to 2:15pm and 1:45 to 10:15pm Every other weekend (hours for this position are a 50/50 split) Functional Statement Title/#: Registered Nurse
- Not Required
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Designated and/or Random Drug Testing required.
- Background and/or Security Investigation required.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Full unrestricted Licensure, Certification, or Registration required
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6)
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates, and if appropriate, the level within a grade:
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience; OR a Bachelor's of Science in Nursing (BSN) with no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; OR a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of nursing practice/experience; ORa Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no additional nursing practice/experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of nursing practice/experience; OR ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 year's of nursing practice/experience; ORa Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no additional nursing practice/experience required.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience; OR a Doctoral degree in nursing or related field and approximately 2-3 year's of nursing practice/experience.
Reference: *VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-6 Nurse Qualification Standard.* **This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements:Lifting up to 35 pounds for 8-12 hours, intermittently, moderate carrying (15-35 pounds) for 8 to 12 hours, intermittently, lifting over 35 pounds with assistive devices in accordance with the Safe Patient Handling Policy except in emergent situations requiring prompt patient care, pulling for 8 to 12 hours, intermittently, pushing for 8-12 hours, intermittently, reaching above the shoulders for 8-12 hours, intermittently, both hands required, walking 8-12 hours, intermittently, standing 8-12 hours intermittently, kneeling 8 to 12 hours, intermittently, repeated bending for 8-12 hours, intermittently, climbing and use of both legs and arms for 8-12 hours, intermittently, both legs required, near vision at 13 to 16" Jaeger 1 to 4, far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other eye, ability to distinguish basic colors, hearing aid permitted, twisting, simply grasp and fine manipulation.
What To Expect Next
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During our review, if your résumé and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided); otherwise, applicants will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on Application Status. For a more detailed update of your status, click on more information. Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides an overview of the benefits currently offered: http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-choose-va/benefits/index.asp.
Annual leave shall accrue for full-time Nurses, and Nurse Anesthetists at the rate of 8 hours for each full biweekly pay period.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
Salary Range: $45,047.00 to $81,289.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: VN-0610-00/00
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 440460400
Job Announcement Number: IN-16-1717830-JLR-BU