HCA, Hospital Corporation of America Endoscopy Nurse PRN in Humble, Texas
*GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES: *Contributes to the company’s mission and vision by utilizing the GI/Endoscopy nursing process in planning, executing, and evaluating the nursing care rendered in GI until patient is dismissed from the facility. Nursing care meets the standards of the profession, the policies and procedures of the Center, and is appropriate to the Center’s patient population to identify patient and family needs.
SUPERVISOR -Nurse Manager, Nurse Supervisor, or designee.
OPERATIONAL DUTIES INCLUDE BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO:
* Demonstrates necessary practical, technical or specialized knowledge and skills required for the role of the GI nurse in accordance with patient care and regulatory standards of practice.
* Prepares the endoscopy unit adequately and ensures availability of necessary GI equipment and supplies.
* Compiles patient care forms chart to ensure that all required documentation is immediately available (i.e. assessment, consents, H/P, physician orders, etc.).
* Utilizes good customer service while interacting with patient, family and physicians. Keeps patient and family informed on a timely basis.
* Utilizes appropriate patient identifiers prior to all interventions.
* Assesses patient’s level of fear/anxiety and provides comfort and support for patient and family.
* Reviews and carries out physician orders timely and according to policy.
* Conducts complete patient assessment and evaluation of each patient prior to procedure or treatment. Includes vital signs, history, physical, pain level, and psychological assessment. * Assess patient’s understanding of procedure and checks consent for accuracy and completeness. Obtains and witnesses signature if needed. * Leads the team in the time out process to make sure all necessary information is communicated with the entire patient care team prior to beginning the procedure and during the de-briefing session after the procedure. * Conducts hemodynamic monitoring as indicated by procedure and policy (vital signs, cardiac monitoring, end tidal monitoring, etc.) from pre-op to discharge. * Demonstrates appropriate aseptic techniques as indicated by interventions (hand hygiene, IV therapy, medication preparation, and equipment preparation). * Initiates intravenous therapy as indicated, utilizing aseptic technique with appropriate IV catheter and fluid. Ensures that medication is labeled appropriately. * Maintains patient privacy, comfort, and safety throughout the stay i.e. bed rails up, brakes on stretchers, positioning, etc. * Assists the physician with interventions as indicated (positioning, preparing specimens, GI tract tattooing, etc.) * Prepares and administers medications in accordance with current practice (i.e. pre-op antibiotics, identifying high alert medications, preparing/labeling medications on/off field, consistently utilizing the 7 rights before administration, monitoring patient response, narcotic waste, etc.) * Demonstrates knowledge of administering and monitoring IV conscious sedation medications and recognizes the need for reversal drugs. * Recognizes emergency situations and responds effectively in a calm and controlled manner. * Documents all appropriate patient information in accordance with charting guidelines. * Relays appropriate hand off communication to other appropriate nursing personnel to ensure continuity of care. * Retrieves tissue for pathology as directed by physician, properly labels, and prepares requisitions for appropriate labs and delivers to appropriate area (i.e. biopsies, CLO test, etc.) and logs specimens, as required. * Utilizes appropriate body mechanics in moving patients and stretchers to prevent injury to patient and self. * Demonstrates knowledge related to maintenance and cleanliness of instruments and equipment. Maintains a sanitary environment for the provision of patient care. As required per facility policies. * Demonstrates knowledge of high disinfectant and sterilization of endoscopy equipment. (Maintains daily log, testing for potency of solution with each cycle, performs monthly biological tests and completes log, as per facility policies). * Handles equipment with care. * Appropriately handles the disposal of biohazardous materials. * Restocks area daily, using appropriate par levels and daily stock sheets while utilizing facility resources appropriately and avoids wasteful practices. * Spends appropriate time and energy on tasks and assignments based on the policies that are supportive of the Center’s goals and objectives. * Functions independently according to job responsibilities and within scope of practice utilizing current standards of care. * Takes personal initiative to maintain current RN licensure, BCLS, ACLS, PALS (if indicated) and other professional certifications current as defined by job role. * Attends all mandatory in-services, staff meetings and participates in emergency drills. * Participates in the orientation of new employees as assigned. * Completes annual competency and other required education as assigned. * Maintains confidentiality and security of records and patient information at all times. * Practices and adheres to the “Code of Conduct” philosophy and “Mission and Value Statement”. * While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current Position, it is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, or working conditions associated with the job. Management reserves the right to revise the Position or require that other or different tasks be performed when circumstances warrant (i.e. emergencies, changes in personnel or staffing, workload, rush jobs, or technical developments).
Age Specific Care: * The patient care requirements may include those of pediatric, child and adolescent when such patient populations are served, as well as adult and geriatric.
BEHAVIORAL SPECIFIC EXPECTATIONS: · Supports and adheres to all company and Center policies and procedures. · Supports and adheres to HCA Code of Conduct, related Ethics and Compliance policies, and HIPAA requirements.· Supports and adheres to personnel policies and programs which specify privileges and responsibilities of employment, including compliance with an adverse incident reporting system, quality improvement program, patient safety initiatives, and risk management program. · Participates in Best Practices, Quality/Risk Initiatives, RCA’s and other teams to improve patient care. · Interacts with patients, fellow employees, physicians, and other stakeholders in a manner which encourages quality patient care, harmonious working relationships, positive customer relations, and which enhances the image and reputation of the center. · Demonstrates dependability and accountability. · Demonstrates a willingness to help others. · Supports the center’s mission by providing flexibility in assignment changes, dependability in attendance, punctuality, timely completion of assignments. · Maintains a professional image through proper attire, language, and conduct. · Keeps management informed of any malfunctions in instruments, equipment, and supplies. · Displays willingness to speak up about safety issues or change practices to enhance safety; asks for help when needed; enhances teamwork; follows the safety standards/practices/policies.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES: * Maintains current knowledge of advances and current trends in endoscopy procedures, anesthesia, and post operative care. * Maintains current knowledge of medical/legal trends in surgery and Pre-op/PACU/GI Lab. * Knowledge and ability to identify and select GI instruments and equipment necessary for patient procedures i.e. endoscopic set up, scopes, video equipment, and safe use of electro-surgical unit. * Demonstrates knowledge of principles of safe electro cautery. * Demonstrates attention to detail by ensuring that all documentation is legible, complete, accurate, and factual. * Knowledge of organizational policies, procedures, systems and objectives. * Has knowledge of patient rights and strives to improve patient outcomes by respecting each patient’s cultural, psychosocial, and spiritual values. * Knowledge of applicable regulatory, compliance, and accreditation standards and requirements. * Possesses critical thinking skills. * Demonstrates a willingness to listen to others and openly expresses respect for differing opinions. * Demonstrates leadership, effective organizing, and planning skills. * Effective problem solving skills to include data analysis and judgment to make effective decisions. * Ability to work with minimal supervision. * High Impact Communication - Effective oral and written communication skills * Computer Skills – Knowledge and basic use of computer skills. * Maintains high level of confidentiality at all times. * Ability to build trust and gain respect through effective team leadership and participation skills.
*EDUCATION: * * Graduate from an accredited school of professional nursing.
EXPERIENCE:· Minimum 2 year experience in a GI setting; preferably in an ambulatory surgery center. · Additional specialty experience may be required as per facility practices(i.e. Pediatric, GI, etc)
CERTIFICATION/LICENSE:· Active RN license as required by state of employment. · Required valid BCLS Certification upon employment.** **online certification not acceptable. · ACLS required. · PALS as required by facility.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORKING CONDITIONS:· Work hours are variable based on patient care needs; · Ability to sit and stand for prolong periods of time, ability to walk, some bending, stooping and stretching; · Capability for overhead and low reaching activity; · Requires hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate a keyboard, photocopier, telephone, and occasional use of other office equipment; · Requires normal range of hearing/eyesight/voice projection to record, prepare, and communicate appropriately; · Physical strength for equipment needs and patient care activities; may require frequent lifting/moving up to 50 pounds and occasional lifting/moving in excess of 50 pounds; · Ability to move quickly in response to patient needs; · Ability to make constant/frequent judgment/response to problem; · Exposure to noisy equipment; · Subject to varying and unpredictable situations, high stress/pressure, handles emergency or crisis situations, regular interaction with emotional patients and/or family members; · Work is performed in a patient care setting and may involve exposure to infections, communicable diseases and hazardous materials, radiation/laser, waste gases and blood and body fluids. Frequent exposure to water and chemicals used in disinfection/sterilization process.
Title: Endoscopy Nurse PRN
Location: Texas-Humble-Kingwood Surgery Center
Requisition ID: 26116-70819