Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Physician - Hospitalist - Iron Mountain in Iron Mountain, Michigan
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Iron Mountain, MI
Work Schedule is Full Time - Excepted Service Permanent
Opened Thursday 4/21/2016 (307 day(s) ago)
** Closes Monday 3/20/2017 (26 day(s) away)
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 1685300
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
ADDITIONAL BENEFITS OF WORKING FOR THE VA:
- VA physicians and dentists earn up to an additional 7.5% of their salary (not to exceed $15k) in annual physician performance pay
- Free liability protection with tail coverage provided
- No physician employment contracts and no significant restrictions on moonlighting
- Regular pay increases to include biennial longevity increases, annual cost of living increases (when signed into law), and biennial reviews of physician market pay
- One full and unrestricted license from any U.S. state or territory is accepted at this facility
- 49 Days paid time off per year (26 days paid annual leave, 13 days paid sick leave, 10 paid federal holidays)
- Pension plan
- Vested in pension annuity after only 5 years' service
- 401K-type plan (Thrift Savings Plan) with matching contributions
The Iron Mountain VA Medical Center (http://www.ironmountain.va.gov/) is located in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and is part of the VA's Great Lakes Health Care System in the Veteran's Integrated Service Network (VISN 12). The medical center and its community clinics serve eligible veterans in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan (fifteen counties) and Northeast Wisconsin (eleven counties).
This facility employs state-of-the-art telemedicine technology, and is a leader in rural health care delivery in VHA. Ambulatory and acute primary and secondary health care is provided in areas of medicine, surgery, psychiatry, physical medicine and rehabilitation, neurology, non-invasive cardiology, oncology, dentistry, geriatrics, and extended care. We are part of the Veterans Integrated Services Network (VISN 12) which includes facilities in Milwaukee, Madison, Tomah, WI; and Chicago, Hines and North Chicago, IL. Outpatient clinics are located in Ironwood, Marquette, Hancock, Menominee, Manistique, and Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan; and Rhinelander, WI.
If you are searching for a unique opportunity that includes an excellent federal benefits package with one of the largest healthcare networks, then the Iron Mountain VA is for you. Iron Mountain is jam packed with things to do from winter sports to summer recreational activities. It's a beautiful natural environment with world class restaurants, lounges, golf courses, endless outdoor adventure, within driving distance from Lake Superior and Lake Michigan with excellent schools. Iron Mountain is truly a great place to raise a family.
NOTE: The incumbent for this position may be eligible to apply for the Education Debt Reduction Program, up to $120,000 over 5 years, depending on the amount of verified qualifying debt balance and pending funding availability. Please contact Human Resources at this Medical Center and speak with the Education Debt Reduction Program Coordinator for additional information.
* A Recruitment/Relocation Incentive may be authorized to a highly qualified candidate for this position.*
The Hospitalist is a staff physician responsible for maintaining professional and clinical knowledge, to maintain competencies and skills to provide effective, timely and quality responses to patients who present themselves with acute or emergent health care problems. Position requires working holidays, evenings and nights. Candidate is responsible for overall clinical leadership during on duty hours and ensures the quality of medical care provided. A comprehensive skill set of clinical expertise is required to meet the needs of widespread rural health patient populations.
The incumbent must demonstrate knowledge and skills in interpersonal relations, including the ability to appropriately and courteously relate to internal and external customers. The physician maintains high clinical standards that are carried into decision-making processes and maintains BLS/ACLS certification. Training in Internal Medicine, Family Medicine is preferred. Duties include:
- Providing admission, inpatient management, and discharge management for inpatient units outside of regular administrative hours, without ICU services.
- Working with clinical staff, supervisors, managers and team leaders in the facility to achieve and maintain high standards of performance.
- Functioning as a collaborating provider for Advance Practice Nurses/Nurse Practitioners, Physician Assistants, and Clinical Pharmacy Specialist, as needed.
- Participating on Medical Center committees, workgroups and systems redesign projects, as needed.
- Contributing to the development and implementation of policies and procedures that guide and support the provision of services to inpatients.
- Facilitating compliance with standards established by oversight and regulatory entities such as Joint Commission, etc.
- Ensuring timely completion of all program evaluations and documents associated with clinical care reviews and medical advisory opinions by the Medical Center, VISN and/or VACO.
- Complying with Cultural Transformation & Patient Centered Care goals. The incumbent will reinforce perception of excellent care through cultural transformation and patient centered cultural improvement projects. The incumbent will indirectly and directly provide efforts to support a cultural change and patient centered culture.
- May participate in establishment of a specialty clinic of interest during rotational schedule.
- May be asked to participate in occasional Urgent Care shifts, and/or MOD coverage in collaboration with Urgent Care/Inpatient cross-coverage.
WORK SCHEDULE: Full-time Varied hours to include holidays, evenings and nights
FUNCTIONAL STATEMENT TITLE: Hospitalist, Iron Mountain
- Not Required
- The Department of Veterans Affairs offers Permanent Change of Station (PCS) relocation services. Permanent Change of Station is the relocation of a household due to government convenience in connection with a transfer between duty stations or facilities. For more information go to http://vaww.fscdirect.fsc.va.gov/pcs.asp.
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Designated and/or Random Drug Testing required.
- Background and/or Security Investigation required.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- Citizenship of the United States. Noncitizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with Department of Veterans Affairs policy.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. The degree must have been obtained from one of the schools approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which the course of study was completed.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
- Completion of a first-year residency, or its equivalent, approved by the Department of Veterans Affairs for the year in which it was completed.
- Proficiency in spoken and written English.
- Physical requirements outlined below.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
REFERENCE: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
NOTE*:* Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Walking, bending, stooping, and some lifting in the direct care of patients. There may also be extended periods of sitting.
What To Expect Next
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During our review, if your résumé and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided); otherwise, applicants will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on "Application Status." For a more detailed update of your status, click on "more information." Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. The VHA physician brochure provides an overview of the benefits associated with a VA practice.
Annual leave shall accrue for full-time physicians at the rate of 26 days per leave year (1 day per pay period).
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply.
The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Salary Range: $200,000.00 to $240,000.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: VM-0602-00/00
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens. Non-Citizens may apply and can be appointed when it's not possible to recruit qualified citizens for the position.
Control Number: 436569700
Job Announcement Number: IM-16-TLe-1685300-BU