Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Advanced Nurse Practitioner (JUNEAU) Part Time in Juneau, Alaska
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Juneau, AK
Work Schedule is Part Time 32 hours - Excepted Service Permanent
Opened Wednesday 9/21/2016 (32 day(s) ago)
** Closes Tuesday 2/28/2017 (128 day(s) away)
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 1807602
To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans.
How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
As a VA professional nurse, your opportunities are endless. With many openings in the multiple functions of VA, you will have a wide range of opportunities at your fingertips. Not only is it the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries.
The VA is much more than just another employer. It is an honorable, open and welcoming community of those who care. Gratitude is our motivation and service is our mission. The VA has adopted Core Values and Characteristics that apply universally across the Department. The five Core Values define "who we are," our culture, and how we care for Veterans, their families and other beneficiaries. The Values are Integrity, Commitment, Advocacy, Respect and Excellence ("I CARE").
America's Veterans need you!
To find out more, go to http://www.vacareers.va.gov
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Cost of Living Allowance (COLA is tax-free) is currently 5.57% and is subject to change in the future.
Relocation Expenses: Relocation expenses are not authorized for this position.
NOTE:Applicant's education and length of nursing practice (experience) will be considered by a Nurse Professional Standards Board in determining the grade and step of the applicant selected.
The Advanced Nurse Practitioner (ANP) in the Juneau CBOC at the Alaska VA Healthcare System (AVAHS) provides outpatient care to eligible Veteran patients who present with urgent/chronic medical conditions, changes in mental status and/or functional decline. The ANP functions as an independent member of the Medical Staff with delineated clinical privileges granted by the Medical Executive Board and is a member of an interdisciplinary team providing primary care for patients.
- Member of an interdisciplinary team providing primary care for patients and/or employees.
- Assessment of risk factors, performing histories and physicals, ordering diagnostic and therapeutic tests/studies, initiating consults and referrals, prescribing medications/supplies in accordance with VA policy, VA and DoD formulary and state regulations.
- Seek consultation with physicians whenever cases are outside of scope of practice.
- Communicate relevant patient data in case presentations and medical records, formulates, initiates and evaluates health care teaching related to patients and families, facilitates communication related to patients with personnel responsible for their hospital and clinic services, and act as a consultant to nursing and medical staff.
- Participate in Primary Care meetings.
- Participate in performance improvement activities, to include joint improvement activities and initiatives with the Veterans Benefits Administration Anchorage Service Center.
- Work collaboratively with the Quality Management Service to ensure processes are in place to meet standards and that supportive elements such as Periodic Performance Review and tracer activities are in place as necessary.
- This position may subject the incumbent to exposure to blood borne pathogens and other potentially infectious materials.
Scope: Executes position responsibilities that demonstrate leadership, experience, and creative approaches to management and coordination of complex client care. Leadership is characterized as substantial, continuous responsibility for a population group.
Work Schedule: Work Schedule: Monday-Friday, 0730-1600, This is a part-time permanent position, 32 hours per pay period.
Functional Statement Title/#: Nurse Practitioner/000000
- Not Required
- U.S. Citizenship
- Full unrestricted Licensure, Certification, or Registration required
- Must pass pre-employment examination
- Designated and/or Random Drug Testing required
- Background and/or Security Investigation required
- English Language Proficiency required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED: In order to qualify for this position you must meet the following:
- Citizenship: Citizen of the United States.
- Education: Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. Master's degree in Nursing accredited by the NLNAC or CCNE is required.
- Registration/Licensure: Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration/licensure as a Nurse and as a Nurse Practitioner in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia. Alaska State licensure as a NP with prescriptive authority required prior to start.
- Certification: National Certification as Nurse Practitioner required. [The certification must be in the specialty of Adult Health, or Family Nurse Practitioner or related.]
- English Language Proficiency: Must be proficient in spoken and written English.
- Pre-placement physical is required in accordance with VA Directive and Handbook 5019.
Applicant's education and length of nursing practice (experience) will be considered by a Nurse Professional Standards Board in determining the grade and salary of the applicant selected.
Experience will be evaluated to determine if the experience is of an acceptable level of quality with regard to the following four dimensions of nursing: Practice, Professional Development, Collaboration and Scientific Inquiry.Each dimension of practice has criteria that demonstrate essential core competencies for VHA Nursing Personnel. The criteria are as follows:
- Practice:practice, ethics and resource utilization.
- Professional Development:performance, education/career development.
- Collaboration;collaboration, collegiality.
- Scientific Inquiry:quality of care, research.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer eexperience.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE WILL NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE.
Reference: VA Handbook 5005/27, Part II, Appendix G-6 NURSE QUALIFICATION STANDARD, dated March 17, 2009.
Physical Requirements: Heavy lifting, 45 pounds and over; Moderate carrying, 15-44 pounds; Straight pulling (1 hours);Pushing (1 hours); Reaching above shoulder; Use of fingers; Both hands required; Walking (4 hours); Standing (4 hours); Kneeling (1 hours); Repeated bending (1 hours); Climbing, legs only (1 hours); Both legs required; Operation of crane, truck, tractor, or motor vehicle; Near vision correctable at 13 to 16 to Jaeger 1 to 4; Far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other; Depth perception; Ability to distinguish basic colors; Ability to distinguish shades of colors; Hearing (aid permitted); emotional/mental stability.
APPLICANTS PLEASE NOTE: Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications (particularly positions with a positive education requirement.) Therefore, applicants must report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html. All education claimed by applicants will be verified by the appointing agency accordingly. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
If you are a male applicantwho was born after 12/31/59 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency. For more information, see http://www.sss.gov/.
What To Expect Next
After we receive your complete application package (including any required documents), your qualifications will be reviewed to decide if you meet the basic requirements. You will be notified when this decision is made.
Working for the Department of Veterans Affairs offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes, in part, paid vacation, sick leave, holidays, life insurance, health benefits, thrift savings plan, and participation in the Federal Employees Retirement System. In addition to traditional "dollars and cents" benefits, we offer a range of benefits to help balance work and life. For more information please visit us at http://www.va.gov/JOBS/JobBenefits/benefits.asp
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
Salary Range: $83,378.00 to $139,003.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: VN-0610-00/00
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: Part-time permanent position, M-F, 32 hrs per pay period.
Control Number: 451200800
Job Announcement Number: VT-16-TYS-1807602-BU