Indian Health Service Community Health Nurse (OCA)(ES/MP/DH) in Kyle, South Dakota
Indian Health Service
Many vacancies in the following locations:
- Kyle, SD
- Pine Ridge, SD
- Wanblee, SD
Work Schedule is Full Time - Multiple Appointment Types
Opened Thursday 2/11/2016 (257 day(s) ago)
** Closes Friday 2/10/2017 (108 day(s) away)
About the Agency
Become a part of an innovative, dynamic, nationwide organization of dedicated health care providers working to meet the individual health care needs of American Indians and Alaska Natives. Indian Health Service (IHS) employees are considerate in our care, creative in our approach, enthusiastic about our work and compassionate with our patients.
Our lifestyle is adventurous, community oriented and focused on service and problem solving as part of a professional interdisciplinary team. Join us in improving the health outcomes of 2.2 million American Indians and Alaska Natives.
ORGANIZATIONAL LOCATION: Department of Health & Human Services (HHS), Indian Health Services (IHS), Northern Plains Region, Great Plains Area, Nursing Department, Pine Ridge, Kyle, Wanblee, South Dakota. * *Position reports to the Supervisory for Community Health .
The IHS is required by law to give absolute preference to qualified applicants who meet the Secretary of the Interior's definition of Indian for appointment to vacancies within the IHS in accordance with established IHS policy as outlined in the Indian Health Manual Part 7, Chapter 3. The IHS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
DIRECT HIRING AUTHORITY ANNOUCEMENT: These positions are being filled through Office of Personnel Management's delegated Direct Hiring Authority (DHA). The "Direct Hiring Authority" has been authorized by Homeland Security Act of 2002 and Part 337, Subpart B, Title 5 code of the Code of Federal Regulations (5 CFR). IF filled utilizing DHA, the following is applicable: All applicant(s) who meet the basic qualifications requirements will be forwarded to the "Selecting Official" for consideration. The rule of three, 1) Veteran(s) Preference and traditional rating and ranking of applicants, do not apply to the Direct Hire process. 2) Indian Preference does apply.
- Utilizes nursing process in order to assess, plan, implement and evaluate health needs in providing nursing care to individuals and families including interventions designed to prevent complications and minimize disabilities.
- Records and documents according to established standards and procedures.
- Teaches and supervises patients and families in techniques of positive health measures. Assists them in understanding, accepting and adjusting to the implications and responsibilities of medical or other needed care, diagnosis and treatment.
- Plans and evaluates the Community Health Nursing Program. Maintains proper lines of communication so that responsible parties are adequately informed
- Provides continuity of patient care by initiating, planning and exchanging information with other IHS, Tribal and Community resources.
- Conducts epidemiological surveys, field investigations and researches studies to appraise health needs.
- Reviews records and reports and the total community health nursing program for purpose of quality assurance.
- Develops new programs as needed to meet health needs found in the community.
- Assumes personal responsibility to keep informed of current changes and trends affecting nursing care and professional nurse functions.
- Routine duties shall include providing nursing care services to individuals eligible for services provided by the IHS in homes, schools, clinics, job sites, and other community locations within the Service Unit.
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional travel may be required for training and/or other work related duties.
- Selectee will be subject to a pre-employment fingerprint check.
- Selectee will be subject to a background investigation.
- Selectee will be subject to a probationary/trial period.
- ESEP appointees typically serve two year trial period.
- More than one selection may be made from this announcement.
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
- (Delete if not applicable) Confidential Financial Disclosure Form required.
To qualify for this position, your resume must state sufficient experience and/or education, to perform the duties of the specific position for which you are applying. Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; social). You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer and part time experience. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
For positions requiring positive education requirements, or if you are using education to meet all or part of the qualification requirements, you MUST submit a copy of your transcripts or an itemized list of college courses which includes equivalent information from the transcript (course title, semester/quarter hours, and grade/degree earned) in your resume.
*Education: *Degree or diploma from a professional nursing program approved by the legally designated State accrediting agency at the time the program was completed by the applicant
Applicant for Community Health Nurse positions must have graduated from a baccalaureate (or higher) degree program in nursing which included the study of community health nursing concepts.
*GS-7: * Completion of a professional nursing program and 1 year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-5 level.
*GS-9: *Two full years of progressively higher level graduate education or a master's or equivalent degree or 1 year of experience equivalent to at least the GS-7 level.
*GS-11: *Completion of all requirements for a doctoral degree (Ph.D. or equivalent) or 3 full years of progressively higher level graduate education or 1 year of experience equivalent to at least the GS-9 level.
*Licensure Requirement: *Applicants must have active, current registration as a professional nurse in a State, District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States.
*Time in Grade Requirements: *In addition to basic requirements, applicants must have 52 weeks of specialized professional community health nursing experience equivalent to the GS-05 to qualify for the GS-07; 52 weeks equivalent to the GS-07 to qualify for the GS-09; and 52 weeks equivalent to the GS-09 to qualify for the GS-11.
*Specialized Professional Community Health Nursing Experience *is delivering health and nursing care to individuals, families, schools within communities using initiative, judgment in covering a range of nursing services through counseling, teaching and follow-up within established plans, policies and objectives of the agency and evaluating the effectiveness of the program, appraise the quality of nursing services delivered which impacts the health of individuals, families and communities.
Indian Preference applicants will be rated in accordance with the Indian Health Service Excepted Service Qualification ( Preston) Standards. Time-In-Grade requirements, if applicable, will not apply to Excepted Service Examining Plan applicants.
*Time-In-Grade Requirements:* Merit Promotion (status) candidates must have completed one year of service at the next lower grade level. Time-In-Grade provisions do not apply under the Excepted Service Examining Plan (ESEP).**
You must meet the requirements of the job by 11:59 pm (Eastern Standard Time) of the closing date: Friday, February 10, 2017
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
You can track the progress of your application package via your USAJOBS account. You will receive an acknowledgement from USAJOBS that your submission was successful once we have received your on-line occupational questionnaire, resume, and any supporting documentation. You will be notified of the status of your application via your USAJOBS Account after we conduct a qualification review of your complete application package. You will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required. Any exaggeration of your experience, false statements, or attempt to conceal information may disqualify you for employment consideration. We may verify all information you provide in your resume and questionnaire responses, through reference and/or background check, and/or verification of your education. If you are selected, you will be contacted personally by the Human Resources (HR) office posting this announcement.
You will no longer need to call the HR Office to determine your application status. USAJOBS has added an alert setting to their system to provide status updates for applicants. You can elect to activate the status updates from your USAJOBS profile at any point during the application process.
If all required documentation is not submitted with your application you will lose consideration. It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information and documents entered, uploaded, or faxed is received, legible and accurate. HR will not modify answers submitted by an applicant.
Indian Health Service is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Review our benefits
You can review our benefits at https://help.usajobs.gov/index.php/PayandBenefits
This position meets the criteria specified in pillar number one of the five pillars of the PHS Commissioned Corps. PHS Commissioned Officers interested in performing the duties of this position within the Commissioned Corps MUST apply online under the merit promotion announcement indicated above in order to receive consideration. For more information on PHS Commissioned Corps, visit the website at: http://www.usphs.gov/
Federal Employees earn annual leave at a rate (4, 6 or 8 hours per pay period) which is based on the number of years they have served as a Federal employee. IHS may offer newly-appointed Federal employees credit for their directly related previous non-federal experience or active duty uniformed military service. This credited service can be used in determining the rate at which annual leave is earned. CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Security Clearance: If you are selected for this vacancy, you must undergo a pre-employment fingerprint check and background investigation. Fingerprint results and background investigation documentation must be cleared prior to hire. You will receive instructions on how to obtain and submit fingerprints and background investigation documentation. After you begin your employment, your continued employment is contingent upon the outcome of a complete background investigation as determined by the sensitivity level of your position. The investigation must find that you are suitable for Federal employment in your position. If you are found not suitable, you will be terminated after you begin work. If you make a false statement in any part of your application, you may not be hired; you may be fired after you begin work; or subject to possible criminal charges.
- Measles and Rubella immunization required for selectees born after 1957.
- Additional selections may be made on this vacancy.
- This position requires that you obtain and maintain clinical privileges. If they are not obtained or maintained during employment, the employee may be subject to adverse actions, up to and including removal from the Federal service.
IHS - Operated Properties are tobacco free
Salary Range: $59,081.00 to $99,361.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: GS-0610-07/11
Promotion Potential: 11
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: This is an "Open Continuous Vacancy Announcement" and applications will be referred as vacancies occur. **Recruitment or relocation incentives may be authorized. At least a one year service agreement will be required.
Control Number: 429472400
Job Announcement Number: IHS-16-GP-1625981-ESEP/MP