Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Physician - Psychiatrist in Leavenworth, Kansas
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
3 vacancies in the following locations:
- Leavenworth, KS
- Topeka, KS
Work Schedule is Full Time - Excepted Service Permanent
Opened Thursday 10/20/2016 (169 day(s) ago)
** Closes Thursday 10/19/2017 (195 day(s) away)
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 1551340
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincolns promise To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan by serving and honoring the men and women who are Americas Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?1551340
Recruitment/Relocation incentives may be authorized for highly qualified applicants.
This is an open continuous announcement. We accept applications for this occupation on an ongoing basis; qualified applicants will be considered as vacancies become available. Applicants will be referred to selecting official on a weekly basis OR until the closing date of this announcement. Applicants need not re-apply once the application is referred to the selecting official.
The Colmery-O'Neil VA Medical Center is part of the VA Eastern Kansas Health Care System (VAEKHCS) and is located in Topeka, KS. With over 1,700 employees and an annual operating budget in excess of $250,000,000 the VAEKHCS proudly serves over 36,000 veterans with 2 VA Medical Centers in Leavenworth and Topeka and 9 regional Community Based Outpatient Clinics. We are a 1C facility with multispecialty inpatient, community living center, and domiciliary. Topeka boasts quality schools, friendly people, good hospitals, a university and -- one of its biggest selling points -- low housing costs. The Topeka VA is an easy 30 minute commute to Lawrence, KS, home of The University of Kansas with a dynamic college town atmosphere. Kansas City, with its big city amenities, is also readily accessible. Learn more about the city at http://www.visittopeka.us/.
Ask your recruiter about Education Debt Reduction Program.
Major functions of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Functioning as part of a psychiatric care team working with other physicians, physician extenders, nurses and/or other support staff.
- Primary responsibilities in outpatient Psychiatric Services
- Privileges will consist of: admissions, diagnosis, work-up, and provision of treatment (to include consultation for patients who suffer from various mental health disorders).
- Providing high quality and efficient care and be able to work well in an interdisciplinary team setting.
Physician may be required to see patient(s) one-on-one in a private office setting or in a group setting. The position may also provide education and training to residents, medical students, and clinical staff. Academic affiliation with the University of Kansas Medical Center is possible.
Work Schedule:Primarily Monday-Friday Day Shift; will be required to participate in on-call rotation.
Functional Statement / Title#:Psychiatrist Scope of Practice
- Occasional Travel
- Travel between campuses may be required to meet patient needs.
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Designated and/or Random Drug Testing required.
- Background and/or Security Investigation required.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
Basic Requirements :
- Must be a citizen of the United States.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine. Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia. Must have completed a first-year residency, or its equivalent, approved by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs for the year in which it was completed. Approved residencies are 1) those approved by the Council on Medical Education and Hospitals, American Medical Association, in the list published for the year the residency was completed, or 2) Other residencies or their equivalents which the Professional Standards Board determines to have provided an applicant with appropriate professional training. The Board may determine that the residency requirement has been met if the candidate has completed 1 year of postgraduate education.
Chief Grade. Meet the requirements for Senior grade plus attainment of additional recognition in clinical, administrative or research areas. Such recognition may be demonstrated by:
- Certification by an American Specialty Board, or
- Significant accomplishments in clinical practice, educational activities, research or administration which clearly distinguish the physician as having the highest professional qualifications in the specialty area to which assigned, such as:
(a) Past or present faculty appointment at the professional level in an approved medical school, or
(b) Completion of an accredited residency in the primary specialty area or in a related area to which the individual
will be assigned and unusual professional accomplishment such as:
1 . Publication of articles in nationally recognized professional journals, or
2 . Officer in a State or National professional medical organization, or
- Directorship of a hospital or large clinic.
Preferred Experience: Board eligibility/Board Certification in Psychiatry. Also ACLS and BLS certification.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Note*:* Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements: Heavy lifting (45 lbs and over); reaching above shoulder; use of fingers; walking (3 hours per day); standing (6 hours per day); kneeling (2 hours per day); both legs required; ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; near vision correctable at 13" to 16"; far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other; ability to distinguish basic colors; hearing (aid permitted).
What To Expect Next
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During our review, if your résumé and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided); otherwise, applicants will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on Application Status. For a more detailed update of your status, click on more information. Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJobs Resource Center.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides an overview of the benefits associated with a VA practice:VHA physician brochure*.*
Annual leave shall accrue for full-time physicians at the rate of 26 days per leave year (1 day per pay period).
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.**
Salary Range: $200,000.00 to $240,000.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: VM-0602-00/00
Promotion Potential: 00
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: By law, U.S. Citizens will be given first preference but non-citizens will be considered in the absence of qualified citizens.
Control Number: 420916500
Job Announcement Number: YN-EAEB-15-MKB-1551340-BU