Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Physician - Urologist in Leavenworth, Kansas
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Leavenworth, KS
Work Schedule is Full Time - Excepted Service Permanent
Opened Thursday 2/25/2016 (359 day(s) ago)
** Closes Friday 2/24/2017 (6 day(s) away)
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): T1637672
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
Incumbent may be required to travel between the divisions to meet patient care needs.
Recruitment/Relocation incentives may be authorized for highly qualified applicants.
This is an open continuous announcement. We accept applications for this occupation on an ongoing basis; qualified applicants will be considered as vacancies become available. Applicants will be referred to selecting official on a weekly basis OR until the closing date of this announcement. Applicants need not re-apply once the application is referred to the selecting official.
The Dwight D. Eisenhower VA Medical Center is part of the VA Eastern Kansas Health Care System (VAEKHCS) and is located in Leavenworth, KS, a community of approximately 35,000 people in the greater Kansas City metropolitan area and nestled in the rolling hills of northeastern Kansas on the Missouri River. With over 1,700 employees and an annual operating budget in excess of $250,000,000 the VAEKHCS proudly serves over 36,000 veterans with 2 VA Medical Centers in Leavenworth and Topeka and 9 regional Community Based Outpatient Clinics. We are a complexity level 1C facility with 204 hospital beds, a 138-bed Community Living Center, a 177-bed Domiciliary and 25 Psychiatric Residential Rehabilitation Treatment beds.
Leavenworth is on the outskirts of the Kansas City metropolitan area and is home to the Army's Fort Leavenworth, Saint Mary College, and the Leavenworth Federal Penitentiary. Leavenworth became the first city in Kansas when it was founded in 1854. It served as the springboard for the settlement of the rest of the state and the support base for the opening of the West. Fast forward to the present and Leavenworth is amidst an impressive rejuvenation of its historic downtown - take a look at the Leavenworth Master Redevelopment Plan.
The City of Kansas City (35 minutes from Leavenworth) offers a wealth of attractions and is the home to over 2 million people with Midwestern charm and hospitality.Salaries in KC are higher than the U.S. average, and the cost of living is significantly lower.
VA Eastern Kansas Health Care System is recruiting a full-time Urologist to provide a full range of genitourinary services to our Veterans. This position is located at the Leavenworth division, however the incumbent may be required to travel to the Topeka division on occasion in support of patient care needs. Major duties include, but are not limited to:
- Participate in and/or manages all aspects of a urology program, to include inpatient and outpatient clinical, administrative, academic, and research components if warranted.
- Perform adult male and female urologic procedures and exams. Must be able to perform surgeries on kidney, bladder, urethra and prostate (including radical resection). Minimally invasive/laparoscopic skills would be considered a plus.
- Provide surgical treatment for genitourinary injuries and diseases including major and minor procedures, consultations for in-patients and outpatients, and participate in VA-approved cooperative research studies.
- Perform administrative duties related to patient care management including: entering progress notes, histories and physicals, discharge summaries, consults, etc.
- Utilize electronic medical records
- Work collaboratively with an interdisciplinary team including Nursing, Anesthesiology, Mid-Level Surgical Providers, Residents and medical support staff to ensure prompt and efficient delivery of patient care services.
- Provide supervision to Mid-Level providers and Surgical Residents
- Serve on service level and hospital committees as needed and participate in the facility peer review program.
Work Schedule: Primarily Monday-Friday Day Shift; will be required to participate in on-call rotation. Functional Statement Title/#: * *Urologist Scope of Practice
- Occasional Travel
- Occasional Travel to the Topeka campus may be required to meet patient care needs.
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Designated and/or Random Drug Testing required.
- Background and/or Security Investigation required.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- Degree of doctor of medicine or an equivalent degree resulting from a course of education in medicine or osteopathic medicine.
- Current, full and unrestricted license to practice medicine or surgery in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth of the United States, or in the District of Columbia.
Preferred Experience: Board Certification/Board Eligiblity in Urology is highly desired. Urologists must have current ACLS and BLS certification. Endourologic stone and Laparascopic skills are preferred.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Reference: VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-2 Physician Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Note*:* Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements: Heavy lifting (45 lbs and over); reaching above shoulder; use of fingers; walking (3 hours per day); standing (6 hours per day); kneeling (2 hours per day); both legs required; ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; near vision correctable at 13" to 16"; far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other; ability to distinguish basic colors; hearing (aid permitted).
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During our review, if your résumé and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided); otherwise, applicants will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. The VHA physician brochure provides an overview of the benefits associated with a VA practice.
Annual leave shall accrue for full-time physicians at the rate of 26 days per leave year (1 day per pay period).
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply.
The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
Salary Range: $200,000.00 to $325,000.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: VM-0602-00/00
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: By law, U.S. Citizens will be given first preference but non-citizens will be considered in the absence of qualified citizens.
Control Number: 430821800
Job Announcement Number: YN-EB-16-CNH-1637672-BU