Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Registered Nurse - Deputy Nurse Executive in Lebanon, Pennsylvania
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Lebanon, PA
Work Schedule is Full Time - Excepted Service Permanent
Opened Monday 10/17/2016 (9 day(s) ago)
** Closes Friday 11/4/2016 (9 day(s) away)
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN): 1823702
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans. How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority. .
As the Deputy Nurse Executive, you will serve in an executive leadership role with responsibility for professional standards of patient care and nursing practices at the medical center. Your duties will include:
- Planning, promoting and conducting organization-wide performance improvement activities.
- Managing and supervising mid-level nursing leadership positions.
- Consulting with care line managers in planning and organizing an integrated nursing program to provide patient care.
- Developing the plan for the provision of nursing care organization-wide.
- Implementing standards of professional practice.
- Developing policies and procedures for nursing service.
- Coordinating and facilitating the evaluation and improvement of a wide range of patient care programs.
- Establishing statistical monitors to monitor and improve patient care.
- Participating in overall strategic planning for the medical center.
- Overseeing and approving the monitoring of licensure/ re-licensure process for nursing personnel.
Work Schedule: Monday through Friday, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, unless an alternate tour is approved by the supervisor. *Functional Statement Title/#: * Registered Nurse (Deputy Nurse Executive)/00000
- Occasional Travel
- May require occasional travel to VA Clinics
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- Designated and-or Random Drug Testing required
- Background and-or Security Investigation required.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The Accreditation Commission for Education in Nursing (ACEN) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6)
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
Grade Determinations:The following criteria must be met in determining the grade assignment of candidates:
- Nurse IV - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 4-5 years of nursing practice/experience;* OR*a Doctoral degree in nursing or related field and appropriate basic or advanced certification desired, and approximately 3-4 years of nursing practice/experience.
*Reference: * VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-6 Nurse Qualification Standard. This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
Preferred Experience:The preferred candidate will possess experience through progressive leadership positions and demonstrate skill in resource and staffing utilization, staff development and organizational management in nursing.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Note: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements: Heavy lifting, 45 pounds and over; pushing; reaching above shoulders; use of fingers; use of both hands required; walking 8 hours; standing 8 hours; repeated bending; climbing legs only; both legs required; near vision correctable at 13" to 16" to Jaeger 1 to 4; both eyes required; ability to distinguish basic colors; hearing (aid permitted); emotional stability; far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and 20/40 in the other. May be required to work with assaultive or combative patients.
What To Expect Next
After we receive application packages (including all required documents) and the vacancy announcement closes, we will review applications to ensure qualification and eligibility requirements are met. During our review, if your résumé and application package do not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. After the review is complete, a referral certificate(s) is issued and applicants will be notified of their status by email (if provided); otherwise, applicants will receive a notification letter via the U.S. Postal Service. Referred applicants will be notified as such and may be contacted directly by the hiring office for an interview. All referred applicants receive a final notification once a selection decision has been made.
You may check the status of your application at any time by logging into your USAJOBS account and clicking on Application Status. For a more detailed update of your status, click on more information. Information regarding applicant notification points can be found in the USAJOBS Resource Center.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides an overview of the benefits currently offered: http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-choose-va/benefits/index.asp.
Annual leave shall accrue for full-time Nurses, and Nurse Anesthetists at the rate of 8 hours for each full biweekly pay period.
It is the policy of the VA to not deny employment to those that have faced financial hardships or periods of unemployment.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
Salary Range: $89,964.00 to $119,642.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: VN-0610-04/04
Supervisory Status: Yes
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 453252200
Job Announcement Number: YC-17-JLS-1823702