Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Graduate Nurse Technician, Med/Surg/Tele in Louisville, Kentucky
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
1 vacancy in the following location:
- Louisville, KY
Work Schedule is Full Time - Temporary
Opened Friday 9/2/2016 (50 day(s) ago)
** Closes Saturday 12/31/2016 (70 day(s) away)
Vacancy Identification Number (VIN) 1793557
OUR MISSION: To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans.
As a VA professional, your opportunities are endless. With openings in multiple functions of VA, you will have a wide range of opportunities and leadership positions at your fingertips. Not only is the VA the largest, most technologically advanced integrated health care system in the Nation, but we also provide many other services to Veterans through the Benefits Administration and National Cemeteries.
In recognition of continued efforts to improve patient care, the medical center was awarded the Robert W. Carey 2007 Performance Achievement Award, 2008 Performance Excellence Award, 2009 Trophy Award and 2010 Circle of Excellence Award, and the 2009 Kentucky Center for Performance Excellence Achievement Award.
How would you like to become a part of a team providing compassionate care to Veterans?
For more information on the Department of Veterans Affairs, go to http://www.vacareers.va.gov/
YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply!
NOTE: Applicant's education and length of nursing practice (experience) will be considered by a Nurse Professional Standards Board in determining the grade and step of the applicant selected.
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
WORK SCHEDULE: Shifts could include eight or twelve hour tours; tours could include indefinite evenings or nights; night/evening rotation. All shifts include weekends and holidays.
This is an open continuous announcement. The first cut-off date for this announcement is September 16, 2016. Applications received in USA Staffing in response to this announcement will be maintained in the USA Staffing job file until December 31, 2016. As vacancies occur for this type of position, names of qualified applicants will be considered and forwarded to the hiring official.
Temporary Appointment - pending licensure as a Registered Nurse
As a Staff Nurse you will provide prescribed medical treatment and personal care services to ill and injured veterans. Duties include documenting observations, assessments, and changes in patient's condition; collaborating with health team members to facilitate positive patient care outcomes; providing a full range of nursing care to patients with a variety of physical and/or behavior problems; and accountable for meeting and maintaining the qualification standards and functional statements of assigned grade. Our facility is seeking individuals who possess good organizational skill which enable completion of work, a demonstrated ability to assume leadership in a patient centered program, and the ability to establish effective communication with patients, families, visitors, and members of the interdisciplinary team.
This is a full-time position. This appointment is temporary pending passing of the State licensing (board) examination. Failure to pass licensing board examination on first attempt may result in removal.
- Not Required
- U.S. Citizenship
- Must pass pre-employment examination
- Designated and/or Random Drug Testing required
- Background and/or Security Investigation required
- English Language Proficiency required.
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Graduate (or will be by the end of December 2016) of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing.
- Basic Life Support (American Heart Association)
- Bachelor's Degree in Nursing preferred.
GRADE DETERMINATIONS: Applicant's education and length of nursing practice (experience) will be considered by a Nurse Professional Standards Board in determining the grade and salary of the applicant selected. Experience as a RN will be evaluated to determine if the experience is of an acceptable level of quality with regard to the following four dimensions of nursing: Practice, Professional Development, Collaboration and Scientific Inquiry. Each dimension of practice has criteria that demonstrate essential core competencies for VHA Nursing Personnel.
The criteria are as follows:
- Practice: practice, ethics and resource utilization;
- Professional Development: performance, education/career development;
- Collaboration; collaboration, collegiality; Scientific Inquiry: quality of care, research.
- Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, no experience.
- Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of experience, or an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field and no experience; or a Bachelors of Science in Nursing (BSN) and no experience.
- Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of experience, or an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelors degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of experience; or a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of experience, or a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no experience.
- Nurse II - A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of experience, or ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelors degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 years experience or a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 years experience, or a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no experience.
- Nurse III - Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 years experience or Doctoral degree in nursing or related field and approximately 2-3 years experience.
IN DESCRIBING YOUR EXPERIENCE, PLEASE BE CLEAR AND SPECIFIC. WE MAY NOT MAKE ASSUMPTIONS REGARDING YOUR EXPERIENCE.
Reference: VA Handbook 5005/27, Part II, Appendix G-6 NURSE QUALIFICATION STANDARD*http://www1.va.gov/vapubs/viewPublication.asp?PubID=464&FType=2*
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Light to moderate lifting (1-44 lbs); Light carrying (up to 15 lbs); Straight Pulling (up to .5 hours); Reaching above shoulder; Use of fingers; Both hands required; Walking (up to 1 hours); Standing (up to 2 hours); Ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; Near vision correctable at 13 to 16; Far vision correctable in one eye to 20/20 and to 20/40 in the other; Ability to distinguish basic colors; Ability to distinguish shades of color; Hearing (aid permitted)
APPLICANTS PLEASE NOTE: Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications (particularly positions with a positive education requirement.) Therefore, applicants must report only attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education. Applicants can verify accreditation at the following website: http://www.ed.gov/admins/finaid/accred/index.html All education claimed by applicants will be verified by the appointing agency accordingly. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Veterans Preference: When applying for Federal Jobs, eligible Veterans should claim preference on their application or résumé. Applicants claiming preference based on service-connected disability, or based on being the spouse or mother of a disabled or deceased Veteran, must complete an SF-15, Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference. Veteran's who are still in the service may be granted tentative preference on the basis of information contained in their applications, but they must produce a DD Form 214 or other proof prior to appointment to document entitlement preference.
For more information on Veterans Preference, please visit http://www.fedshirevets.gov/job/veterans.aspx
Public Trust - Background Investigation
What To Expect Next
After we receive your complete application package (including any required documents), your qualifications will be reviewed to decide if you meet the basic requirements. You will be notified when this decision is made.
Working for the Department of Veterans Affairs offers a comprehensive benefits package that includes, in part, paid vacation, sick leave, holidays, life insurance, health benefits, and participation in the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS). In addition to traditional "dollars and cents" benefits, we offer a range of benefits to help balance work and life. For more information please visit us at http://www.va.gov/JOBS/JobBenefits/benefits.asp.
This job opportunity may be used to fill additional vacancies.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
Placement Policy: The posting of this announcement does not obligate management to fill a vacancy or vacancies by promotion. The position may be filled by reassignment, change to lower grade, transfer, appointment, or reinstatement. Management may use any one or any combination of these methods to fill the position.
Vet-Pro (VA electronic credentialing system): Upon selection, you will be provided with information on how to use Vet-Pro. Vet-Pro was implemented on July 1, 2005. As part of the VA's pre-appointment process, it is necessary for you to submit complete information concerning your professional education, training, experience, licensure, certificate, or registration using Vet-Pro. Vet-Pro credentialing must be successfully completed prior to entering on duty.
Special Employment Consideration: Individuals eligible for the following appointments are encouraged to apply: 5 CFR 213.3102 u, Schedule A, (http://www.opm.gov/disability/PeopleWithDisabilities.asp) Appointment of persons with disabilities [i.e., intellectual disabilities, severe physical disabilities, or psychiatric disabilities], and/or Disabled veterans with a compensable service-connected disability of 30% or more.
Salary Range: $45,332.00 to $48,050.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: AD-0610-00/00
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 449611600
Job Announcement Number: VHA-603-16-RY1793557-K-BU