Illinois Tool Works, Inc. Manufacturing Engineer in Manteno, Illinois
Manufacturing Engineer at ITW
Zip-Pak, located in Manteno, Illinois is seeking a Manufacturing Engineer. Zip-Pak is an ITW Company. We offer the best of both worlds - a small family oriented workplace and the benefits of being part of a major corporation. Our workplace is clean, safe, temperature controlled and smoke free.
The Manufacturing Engineer is responsible for managing and executing production process projects, managing all facilities and equipment maintenance and repairs, and supervising a staff of maintenance and technical personnel. This position is also responsible for all operations regulatory compliance programs. The Manufacturing Engineer will provide technical input on material selection and fitness for use in support of Zip-Pak Operations and in support of ITW Strategic Sourcing initiatives. He or she will confer with NPD, Production, Quality and Applications Engineering to create and improve processes that optimize manufacturability, functionality, cost, and quality. He or she will work under the direction of the Operations Manager in a fast paced collaborative environment supportive of program initiatives and compliant with company best practices. He or she will work in a cross functional team consisting of other engineers, technicians, and production staff who are responsible for the design and improvement of processes from concept through to commercial production.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The following outlines accountabilities, responsibilities, and competences essential for the success in this role. Other duties may be assigned.
●Responsible for regulatory compliance for all safety mandates on the Federal, State, and local levels including OSHA.Oversees all plant regulatory compliance programs and inspections for full compliance.
●Coordinates the design, fabrication, and assembly of production tooling and equipment.
●Prepares all plant Capital Requests.
●Plans and organizes project time lines for assigned projects using established formalized Project Management tools. Advises management of any cost/delivery related issues for assigned projects.
●Conducts regular project meetings, publishes timely project updates, and follows-up continuously on all open critical path items.
●Demonstrated knowledge of the zipper extrusion processes within Zip-Pak globally.
●Works with ITW Strategic Sourcing to identify improvements with material procurement.
●Works with operations team to identify improvements in production materials and processes.
●Is highly involved in plant cost savings and Operational Excellence initiatives. Takes ownership for scrap reduction and quality improvement projects and reporting.
●Presents plant technical projects and other related information at Info-Share meetings.
●Responsible for full 5S implementation in the maintenance shop and assists other operation zones in completing 5S projects.
● Develops and implements effective formal work order and equipment preventive maintenance programs.
● Prepares reports and budgets for Facilities and Maintenance activities.
● Supports the safety program by identifying improvements to the equipment, processes, and machinery and leading the OSHA Assessment team.
● Responsible for maintenance and improvements of grounds, building, and building equipment. Uses outside contractors as needed.
● Oversees our Chemical Control Program and all maintenance related Food Safety programs.
●Works closely with resin supplier technical personnel during investigation and evaluation of materials suitable for specific product applications.
●Displays strong mechanical aptitude; demonstrates a good understanding of dynamic machine design.
●Travels to customers as needed to provide technical support.
●Creates standard procedures, work instructions, and validation plans as required.
●Works effectively with production, engineering, quality, and sales personnel for process improvement initiatives and NPD projects.
●Manages engineering change cycle.
●Has knowledge of polymers and extrusion.
●Applies 80/20 principals to daily operations.
● Responsible for all supervisory duties for plant maintenance and technical staff.
● Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
● Support professional development of direct reports.
Education and/or Experience
Must be willing and able to travel up to 25%.
● Solid understanding of Project Management skills.
● Proficient in 3D modeling software, Solidworks experience preferred.
● To perform this job successfully, an individual should be proficient in the use of Design software; Project Management software; and working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
● 4 year degree in Mechanical Engineering or similar technical field.
● 3 to 5 years of experience in industrial manufacturing, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
● Experience in plastic extrusion is preferred.
● Training in experimental design techniques and exposure to packaging industry is desired.
● FDA, USDA, CFIA, and food contact experience preferred.
Zip-Pak is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.