Illinois Tool Works, Inc. Operations Manager in Manteno, Illinois
Operations Manager at ITW
Zip-Pak is a division of Illinois Tool Works (ITW), a Fortune 200 company that is one of the world’s leading diversified manufacturers of specialized industrial equipment, consumables and related service businesses.
Zip-Pak serves customers and markets around the globe, with a significant presence in developed and emerging markets offering a complete range of re-sealable closure services, machinery and solutions.
We operate in more than 52 countries around the world with a workforce of more than 270 dedicated flexible packaging professionals. These talented individuals adhere to the highest professional standards and focus their efforts to meeting and exceeding the needs of every Zip-Pak client. Combining this commitment to client success with our technical innovation and unmatched network of resources enables us to confidently and consistently deliver “uniquely flexible" solutions to our customers.
The Operations Manager provides leadership in both day-to-day and long term aspects required to oversee all facility operations functions. This includes: production, process improvements, quality, maintenance, warehouse and customer service functions. In addition, this position manages the relationships between the plant, sales, vendors and all activities related to operations. This position provides strategic leadership and coordination on manufacturing projects in support of the Director of Operations. Manufacturing project types include continuous improvement, process development, USa, quad analysis, talent development, business system development and quality system improvements.
This position reports directly to the Director of Operations. Direct reports include logistics manager, process engineer, and team leaders. C.I. / quality manager reports directly to the Operations Manager, with dotted line to Operations Manager. Local accounting manager reports directly to North American controller with dotted line to Operations Manager.
Principal Accountabilities : include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
● Maintain a safe environment driving the culture throughout the organization
● Develop, implement and oversee manufacturing plans and strategies.
● Ensure compliance with Company standards for cost control, waste reduction, quality, OSHA, safety, AIB/SQF/HACCP and complete on-time delivery at the lowest possible cost.
● Reviews production and operating reports and directs the resolution of operational, manufacturing, and maintenance problems to ensure minimum costs and prevent operational delays.
● Monitor, report, and initiate action on results of efficiencies, quality, safety, delivery and costs.
● Identify and implement cost savings initiatives.
● Promote and implement 80/20 simplification principles.
● Generate ideas and initiate actions with regard to equipment, training, staffing, raw materials, packaging, systems, and general operations improvements.
● Determine and ensure appropriate staffing, capacity, and raw materials to meet current and forecasted production requirements.
● Oversee fair and consistent administration of policies, work rules, disciplinary actions, promotions, performance reviews, pay increases, skill development, and job performance counseling for reports.
● Manage all personnel issues within the facility; including such functions as staffing, compensation, behavioral issues, termination, transfer and promotions. Manage, coach, and develop talent.
● Strive to maintain a non-union work environment.
● Evaluate new product concepts for manufacturing capabilities.
● Identifies, communicates and drives implementation of capital investments and improvement projects.
● Balance work capacity across the plant.
● Create strong relationships and work closely with all ZP operations in sharing knowledge, resources, technology, cost savings ideas, and product / process improvements.
● Evaluate the Operator Development program from Ottawa, and determine if it can be adapted to Manteno. Formal program to be in place by 1/1/2018.
● Perform other related duties as assigned.
Competencies: An individual should demonstrate the following competencies in order to perform the job successfully.
● Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
● Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
● Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
● Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
● Leadership - Creates and effectively communicates a compelling vision for the business and aligns his/her team and senior management behind it. Exhibits confidence in self and others; Inspires and motivates others to perform well; Takes ownership: Drives positive change and challenges the status quo. Addresses issues with courage. Leads and behaves from an “enterprise first” perspective.
● Managing People - Strong coach/mentor that shares talent for their development. Hires, develops, and retains a diverse pipeline of great leadership talent. Assesses performance objectively and candidly; makes the tough calls when necessary includes staff in planning, decision-making, facilitating and process improvement; Takes responsibility for subordinates' activities; Makes self-available to staff; Provides regular performance feedback; Develops subordinates' skills and encourages growth; Solicits and applies customer feedback (internal and external); Fosters quality focus in others; Improves processes, products and services.; Continually works to improve supervisory skills.
● Quality Management - Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
● Business Acumen - Understands business implications of decisions; Displays orientation to profitability; Demonstrates knowledge of market and competition; Aligns work with strategic goals.
● Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; Develops and implements cost saving measures; Contributes to profits and revenue; Conserves organizational resources.
● Bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year college or university required.
● 7+ years of related experience in manufacturing with a minimum of 6+ years of progressive management experience.
● Strong project management experience and facility management experience
● Project Manager Professional (PMP) preferred.
● Six Sigma Green Belt required or Black Belt preferred.
● Demonstrated experience successfully leading and managing a team of technical or engineering staff.
Zip-Pak is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.