Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration Registered Nurse - (Acute Care) in Memphis, Tennessee
Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration
Few vacancies in the following location:
- Memphis, TN
Work Schedule is Full Time - Excepted Service Permanent
Opened Thursday 9/8/2016 (43 day(s) ago)
** Closes Friday 12/30/2016 (70 day(s) away)
Vacancy Identification Number: 1792360
To fulfill President Lincoln's promise "To care for him who shall have borne the battle, and for his widow, and his orphan" by serving and honoring the men and women who are America's Veterans.
About the Memphis VA Medical Center:The VAMC in Memphis, Tennessee consists of one main campus located at 1030 Jefferson Avenue, which includes a sixty-bed Spinal Cord Injury Unit, and ten community based outpatient clinics (CBOC).It is a tertiary care facility classified as a Clinical Referral Level 1 Facility and one of the most complex medical centers in the VA system. It is a teaching hospital, providing a full range of patient care services, with state-of-the-art technology, as well as extensive education and research programs. Comprehensive primary, secondary, and tertiary health care is provided in areas of medicine, general cardiovascular and neurological surgery, psychiatry, physical medicine and rehabilitation, spinal cord injury, neurology, oncology, dentistry, and geriatrics. Specialized outpatient services are provided through general, specialty, and subspecialty outpatient clinics including a women's health center. Services are available to more than 206,000 Veterans living in a fifty three county tri-state area (Tennessee, Arkansas, and Mississippi).
VA encourages persons with disabilities to apply. The health related positions in VA are covered by Title 38, and are not covered by the Schedule A excepted appointment authority.
1st Area of Consideration - Current permanent employees of Memphis VAMC and CBOC
2nd Area of Consideration - Current permanent VA Nationwide employees
3rd Area of Consideration - Other
The Registered Nurse- Acute Care provides medical treatment and personal care services to ill and injured veterans. The Registered Nurse- Acute Care duties include:
Documents observations, assessments, and changes in patient's condition.
Collaborates with healthcare team members and interdisciplinary teams to facilitate positive patient care outcomes, provides a full range of nursing care to patients with a variety of physical and/or behavioral problems.
Completes work in a timely manner demonstrating ability to assume a leadership role in a patient centered program.
Establishes effective communication with patients, families, visitors, and members of the interdisciplinary team.
F*unctional Statement Title/#: Registered Nurse*
Note: This is an Open Continuous Announcement.
- Not Required
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Drug Testing required.
- Background and/or Security Investigation required.
- Must be proficient in written and spoken English.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- ### Qualifications
- U.S. citizenship. Non-citizens may be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- Full unrestricted Licensure, Certification, or Registration required
- Graduate of a school of professional nursing approved by the appropriate State-accrediting agency and accredited by one of the following accrediting bodies at the time the program was completed by the applicant: The National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC) or The Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE). In cases of graduates of foreign schools of professional nursing, possession of current, full, active and unrestricted registration will meet the requirement of graduation from an approved school of professional nursing. The completion of coursework equivalent to a nursing degree in a MSN Bridge Program that qualifies for professional nursing registration constitutes the completion of an approved course of study of professional nursing. Students should submit the certificate of professional nursing to sit for the NCLEX to the VA along with a copy of the MSN transcript. (Reference VA Handbook 5005, Appendix G6)
- Current, full, active, and unrestricted registration as a graduate professional nurse in a State, Territory or Commonwealth (i.e., Puerto Rico) of the United States, or the District of Columbia.
Nurse I Level I - An Associate Degree (ADN) or Diploma in Nursing, no experience.
Nurse I Level II - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 1 year of experience, or an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field and no experience; or a Bachelors of Science in Nursing (BSN) and no experience.
Nurse I Level III - An ADN or Diploma in Nursing and approximately 2-3 years of experience, or an ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a Bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 1-2 years of experience; or a BSN with approximately 1-2 years of experience, or a Master's degree in nursing (MSN) or related field with a BSN and no experience.
Nurse II- A BSN with approximately 2-3 years of experience, or ADN or Diploma in Nursing and a bachelor's degree in a related field and approximately 2-3 years' experience or a Master's degree in nursing or related field with a BSN and approximately 1-2 years' experience, or a Doctoral degree in nursing or meets basic requirements for appointment and has doctoral degree in a related field with no experience.
Nurse III- Master's degree in nursing or related field with BSN and approximately 2-3 years' experience or Doctoral degree in nursing or related field and approximately 2-3years' experience.
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Experience as a RN will be evaluated to determine if the experience is of an acceptable level of quality with regard to the following four dimensions of nursing: Practice, Professional Development, Collaboration and Scientific Inquiry. Each dimension of practice has criteria that demonstrate essential core competencies for VHA Nursing Personnel. The criteria are as follows:
- Practice: practice, ethics and resource utilization;
- Professional Development: performance, education/career development;
- Collaboration; collaboration, collegiality;
- Scientific Inquiry: quality of care, research. Reference: *VA Regulations, specifically VA Handbook 5005, Part II, Appendix G-6 Nurse Qualification Standard.* **This can be found in the local Human Resources Office.
PLEASE NOTE: Only education or degrees recognized by the U.S. Department of Education from accredited colleges, universities, schools, or institutions may be used to qualify for Federal employment. You can verify your education here: http://ope.ed.gov/accreditation/. If you are using foreign education to meet qualification requirements, you must send a Certificate of Foreign Equivalency with your transcript in order to receive credit for that education.
Physical Requirements:Requires lifting 45 pounds and over; pushing (approx. 2 hours); reaching above shoulder; use of fingers and both hands; walking and standing from 3-5 hours and repeated bending (approx. 2 hours); ability for rapid mental and muscular coordination simultaneously; near vision correctable at 13" to 16" to Jaeger 1 to4; far visions correctable in one eye to 20/50 and to 20/100 in the other. Must have depth perception and ability to distinguish basic colors and shades of colors. Hearing aid is permitted.
What To Expect Next
After we receive your complete application package (including all required documents), your qualifications will be reviewed and assigned an initial rating.
We will also review your application to make sure that your résumé supports the answers given in the questionnaire. If your résumé does not support your questionnaire answers, we will adjust your rating accordingly. Based on your ranking or numerical score, you may be referred to the hiring manager for further consideration and possible interview. You will be notified when your rating is determined.
VA offers a comprehensive benefits package. This link provides is an overview of the benefits currently offered: http://www.vacareers.va.gov/why-choose-va/benefits/index.asp.
This job opportunity announcement may be used to fill additional vacancies.
This position is in the Excepted Service and does not confer competitive status.
Salary Range: $54,179.00 to $98,623.00 / Per Year
Series & Grade: VN-0610-00/00
Promotion Potential: 00
Supervisory Status: No
Who May Apply: United States Citizens
Control Number: 449392400
Job Announcement Number: RZ-16-MDA-1792360-OCA